Hole in the sill (W124)

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Thanks coco.

The welder comes recommended by word of mouth, and he apparently does cars for most people where I live, so I think he'll do a good job. I'm thinking of asking him to take photos of each stage for me, for my photo album.

I'm at an early stage of my automotive DIY education, but learning to weld is definitely on my agenda. :) In fact, if I could, I would quit my day job and re-train in all things automotive!
I was asking about different layers because the link to the R107 restoration posted on this thread, seems to use just about every layer of protection known to man, and I wondered if I needed to do the same.

I know not what you, but for lots of people in the motor trade that statement will be met with a wry laugh and the words dont do it stay away from cars

White230CE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230CE
Hi Xtractor,

I didn't mean I'd do it as a trade. I meant a life of leisure - y'know, Euromillions jackpot, no day job, my own fully-equipped workshop and all the time in the world to play at cars! :lol:

BTW, thanks for the post on the other thread about painting the weld.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Hi Xtractor,

I didn't mean I'd do it as a trade. I meant a life of leisure - y'know, Euromillions jackpot, no day job, my own fully-equipped workshop and all the time in the world to play at cars! :lol:

BTW, thanks for the post on the other thread about painting the weld.

Ah yes and what you would end up doing is buying some total heap of scrap with the intention of turning it into a pristine classic.. .. Still I think if I retired tomorrow i'd still want a fully equipped workshop to hand..its a disease..

and glad to be of assistance..

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
rust

Hi just googled -- Jacking point repair panels. And it took me to this post.
My W124 260E she is 26 years old next year and i thought mine was in need of replacing. So i am looking for these repair plates As i would like a good repair done.but i have had no luck, other than a company on ebay from the usa. I know a good welder could do a good job without them , by making them himself. The front wings have small patch in the place they all go ,bottom by the bumper and on the lip.These can wait as wings are not an mot problem.

Attachments

• mAH5zR5EwVfbj3wwxUofwbA.jpg
    mAH5zR5EwVfbj3wwxUofwbA.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 22

tjamesbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK430, 2007 VITO 3.0V6 , W124's (1994 320TE , 1993 220TE ) , 07 2.5 X-Type
I'm about to get them done on my 124 Car Mechanics did an article on fitting the w201 jacking point Repair panel to a 124 with a bit of tweaking
see how here http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=128404&highlight=jacking
I have bought two of these in readiness they' re readily available 3days lead time at the dealer and only £8 each They are very thick steel and aren't going to be easily tweaked I've not made my mind up yet whether to use them or not I am just prepping the area and removing the rusty metal and cleaning up the stuff still attached to the tube There is a company in Germany that supplies a sill repair patch for 124's I'm looking at it to see if its any better but cant find it at the moment If I do I'll post the link . Let me know how you get on you'll probably be there before me as I have to refit the cat and temp[orarily move the 124 out of the garage to do a job on the W210 then a job on the W202 so could be after Xmas for me :-( Boyd

tjamesbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK430, 2007 VITO 3.0V6 , W124's (1994 320TE , 1993 220TE ) , 07 2.5 X-Type
Re your wings they can currently be had from ECP for £36 each obviously will need good treatment on the inside to protect but they arent expensive .
Mind you if your after concourse they may not be good enough On My Car its done 227K and its not a pristine example anymore but I'm attached to it and refuse to let it die
Cheers Boyd

tjamesbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If your ever over this way I'm in Sutton Coldfield anyone with a 124 welcome for a beer / coffee :)

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom