Homemade Products

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
So ........ I had a little work to catch up on tonight, and in the background ........ there was Kim & Aggie, cleaning out a fridge, with Kiwi fruit,and Kangaroo droppings ... or whatever it was .............. which got me thinking.

Has anyone got a good homemade remedy, for cleaning alloy wheels

I have a good alloy cleaner, but it don't come cheap ........ so I thought, there must be a good homemade jobby out there .................

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Have they finished cleaning your fridge and why didn't you ask them while they were there? :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Washing machine powder or liquid works very well

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Oven cleaner works well as does cellulose thinners... OH and one of the best hand cleaners is olive oil ..or any cooking oil//mixed with some sugar,

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oven cleaner works well as does cellulose thinners... OH and one of the best hand cleaners is olive oil ..or any cooking oil//mixed with some sugar,

Popeye may get upset if Olive Oyle cleaned my hands;):D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are we cleaning wheels or hands now with all of these ideas

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
I was just going to say that..... Thumper asked if we know any homemade products to clean wheels, Now we talking about cleaning dirty, oily hands

For what its worth, I have a small biopot plastic bucket and a paint brush(not hard wire one), I will pour some hot water and some washing up liquid, use the brush to get that in all areas and then rince with sponge and dry it with synthetic leather. Be sure to only clean your wheels when they are cold as if you just driver some distace then the water/soap will jus dry on the wheels as soon as you apply.

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
Best and easiest cleaner for alloys, in my experience, is Shell's Teepol Gold which I believe has been rebranded as Dobatex Gold. Spray it on, leave for half an hour or so and wash off with a hose pipe nozzle set to a fine, strong spray. Even gets off brake dust set in dried dog's ****.

Gold is intended for washing out dairies, so its bio-degradable and pretty safe.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Best and easiest cleaner for alloys, in my experience, is Shell's Teepol Gold which I believe has been rebranded as Dobatex Gold. Spray it on, leave for half an hour or so and wash off with a hose pipe nozzle set to a fine, strong spray. Even gets off brake dust set in dried dog's ****.

Gold is intended for washing out dairies, so its bio-degradable and pretty safe.

The snag with all commercial cleaners is the all contain things that ruins the finish on the wheels,,I think that was why the post was put up

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
The snag with all commercial cleaners is the all contain things that ruins the finish on the wheels,,I think that was why the post was put up

I've used Teepol or Dobatex Gold on the Discovery wheels for nearly 18 years and there is no sign of any damage to the finish yet. I'll let you know how its going when we get to 20 (if I've still got the old girl).

Hate to suggest it but is the finish on Disco wheels better than on a Merc? The other paintwork certainly is not!

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
I use polish to clean my whole car.

Or is it called Polish? :confused:

matthewm1965

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 W220 S500L, Toyota Supra Mkiv, 1970 Triumph GT6

Dont use oven cleaner on lacquerd wheels, as it will remove the lacquer. I learnt the hard way!!

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
After Cleaning

To keep that shine and make them easy to clean next time, when they are dry wipe over all surfaces with a rag soaked with WD 40. I have been doung this on bikes since that went to casr alloy wheels, and, on cars with alloys since time began. There are other products out there like AFC 50 and Scottoiler 365 but they are more difficult to clean off.

PS Where is the Bourton on the Water meeting taking place? I might be able to get along

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
To keep that shine and make them easy to clean next time, when they are dry wipe over all surfaces with a rag soaked with WD 40. I have been doung this on bikes since that went to casr alloy wheels, and, on cars with alloys since time began. There are other products out there like AFC 50 and Scottoiler 365 but they are more difficult to clean off.

PS Where is the Bourton on the Water meeting taking place? I might be able to get along

Surely WD40 is not going to help as it would attract more dust more quickly?

madf

Reaction score
I find a mix of washing wax plus used vinegar is great for cleaning windows and alloy wheels.
Come up all shiny and the vinegar floats off the rubbish.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
I find a mix of washing wax plus used vinegar is great for cleaning windows and alloy wheels.
Come up all shiny and the vinegar floats off the rubbish.

how do you get "used" Vinegar?

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
the left overs at the bottom of the cardboard chips box????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom