How did that happen?

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
Mrs 13156 just had the wheels on the CLK (her pride and joy) refurbished a couple of weeks ago. In order to finish the job I ordered a new set of shiny silver and blue centre caps. I was just popping the last one into the rear nearside when I noticed that she had kerbed it. It's not that noticeable unless you're fairly close, but she's scraped the lacquer, paint and powder coating off to bare metal across 9" of the rim. Probably done it reversing into a parking spot at work which is known to have 9" high granite setts. Sigh!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Mrs 13156 just had the wheels on the CLK (her pride and joy) refurbished a couple of weeks ago. In order to finish the job I ordered a new set of shiny silver and blue centre caps. I was just popping the last one into the rear nearside when I noticed that she had kerbed it. It's not that noticeable unless you're fairly close, but she's scraped the lacquer, paint and powder coating off to bare metal across 9" of the rim. Probably done it reversing into a parking spot at work which is known to have 9" high granite setts. Sigh!
I love that you have given "her" a number rather than a name :D

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
yep - you're screwed, whichever way you wriggle.

'You shouldn't have wasted all that money getting the wheels refurbed. Didn't you know that I always kerb them? It indivualizes the car.'

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Merc the same as hppened with my cousins car his wife kurbed the new bmw near side front alloy wheel . So after the refurb he had a set of nylon type covers fitted on the rim. Look nice to .

OP
mercedes13156

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you for the support. When I pointed it out there was a sigh as if someone else had done it. (A big boy did it and ran away kind of thing.) Then I noticed the scratches inside the door recess where the seatbelt had been slammed into the paintwork a few times when closing the door and the sweetie that had melted onto the floor of the storage box between the seats. Then there was the mud on the seats from transporting plants and the marks on the leather side panels and seats in the back from transporting stuff to the dump.

That was what the Kuga was supposed to be for.... a daily donkey. The CLK was meant to be kept nice for us both to enjoy,

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
OP
mercedes13156

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is the lady who has her cars "looked after" and who was stopped on the motorway in her old diesel A Class on her way to work one day by someone overtaking and honking his horn and pointing to the rear of her car. She'd been doing the regulation 70mph and this guy had been sitting behind her for a few miles flashing his lights every so often. As she pulled in, the guy pulled in behind her and dived out of his car with a bottle of lemonade with which he put out the blazing tyre. Turns out she'd ignored my recommendation to call by the local petrol station to put air in the tyres and a few days later had been running it so low that it had heated up to the point of self combustion. Once it had all cooled down the good Samaritan changed the wheel for her. On telling me about it later and her good fortune to have this nice man help out, I asked her if she'd noticed that her car was on fire. "No. But it did feel a bit squiggly and I wondered when the man was flashing his lights where the smoke was coming from!"

OP
mercedes13156

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And I still wouldn't swap her for anything!

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
My wife always said she wanted a bigger car...I had to point out that when she first got the car it was bigger...but several bumps front rear and sides had reduced it in size. She could not deny this.

She was also one of those who, when confronted with a funny noise, turned the radio volume up...and ruined the tyre that was flat.

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
It's about time that manufacturers stopped putting these childishly-wide alloys on "normal" (that is, not Racing ) tyres.

If you can't park against a kerb without a big reduction in the car's resale value, then you need wider tyres!

I've put 285/50's on mine and never worry about kerbs now.

When I was buying used alloys on ebay, I'd lost count of the number that were described as "immaculate" that had huge gouges in them. The owners literally did't see the marks at all.
Unfortunately, when you come to sell, the next buyer will not have the same kind of blindness...

dreadlockdw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 500 cabriolet 2005; E280 1993
There are other things to consider when buying tyres, but Pirelli P Zero, as a for instance, have a protruding bead moulded into them which acts as a bit of a kerb protector...

Top Bottom