1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How difficult is it to fit a Towbar?

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by Brian23, Mar 14, 2019 at 4:36 PM.

1. Brian23

Brian23 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    EClass
    I have a 2005 Eclass Estate and I am looking to fit a towbar. How difficult is it to fit one on the driveway and will the car automatically accept the electrics or do you need other accessories for the electrics?

2. M80

M80 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Viano 3.0 ExLWB (09)
    I don't know about the 211 but I've done a couple of 203's.
    On those you remove a rear cross member and the tow bracket goes back in its place. I would look at the kits online and the drawings are likely to show how that might be the case.
    Online instructions may even be available.

As for the electrics, my 639 has the oem kit and I see no advantage to having that.
    A towing relay like this
    Universal 7 way bypass relay electrics TEB7AS Towing electrics Tow Bar Electrics | eBay
    isn't difficult to get your head round.

Basically there is often a fuse at the rear that will supply the trailer through the relay and outlet.
    The relay picks up the signals from say the indicators and passes the power to the trailer, fed from the fuse.
    Advantage here is that a trailer fault will take out the supply fuse and the car is left to function normally.
    You can also run a sounder to the front, this will bleep with the indicators as a reminder, I just left mine at the rear.

3. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2017 SL400 AMG Line
    The last car I owned with a tow bar (2008 Landcruiser) had to have a fancy OEM wiring loom for the trailer lights -- AFAIK all to do with he modern electronics in the car.....

4. davidsl500

davidsl500 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R129 SL500 - GONE!!, X Type 2.2D SE
    Tow Trust have fitting instructions on line and suggest 120 mins to fit.

5. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything,A class 170cdi auto
    as long as maker electronics not involved towbar fit is easy enough on the drive weather permitting .i must have fitted at least ten on my various cars .HOWEVER it does seem that car makers are hell bent on making this as difficult as possible for D.I.Y along with almost anything else, recommend you use this place and others to find out more and maybe experience of someone who has managed to defy the car manufacturer and dealers . thats verging on a national pastime on here

6. OP
    Brian23

Brian23 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    EClass
    Thank you. I will look at this. Brian

Jim2 likes this.
  7. OP
    Brian23

Brian23 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    EClass
    Thank you, great, I have downloaded instructions.
    Brian