How difficult is it to fit a Towbar?

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Agreed, after long discussions with Witter about this problem, I had my towbar fitted by one of their approved dealerships.
Do you know whether your rear SAM was Trailer Recognition Control Unit enabled or did you have to replace your existing rear SAM unit?

Auto Addict

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blue Efficiency C Class Estate
Do you know whether your rear SAM was Trailer Recognition Control Unit enabled or did you have to replace your existing rear SAM unit?

As far as I'm aware, they enabled the rear SAM, I know they re-programmed the car after fitting.

If you phone Witter direct, they are very helpful and patient, they use Right Connections for the electrics (who aren't very helpful in talking to Joe public).

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
In modern cars, the electric system is called a CANBUS. Basically, ( and very basically at that ) it's a bit like the human nervous system. Everything is linked and communicates with each other via the on board computer. So when you add / subtract in the system, the system has to be programed to recognise the changes. In some cars, something as simple ( formerly ) as replacing a bulb, now mean's programming the system to " accept" the new bulb. For simple towbar electrics, the CanBus is by passed ( with literally ) a bypass relay. This relay is fed electrically without "Disturbing" the CanBus, and all the tail light functions are run via the relay...again letting the CanBus "sleep". So the peace and tranquility is preserved. !!!
The 2nd option, is a wiring kit which is an extension of the CanBus, and integrates into it ( with a little programming ) And off you go, So these are the main differences.

Thank you for the infor on this. It has given me enough to think about.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom