How do I adjust my bonnet catches? R230 SL but I imagine other models are similar

martin_sv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
350SL R230 2003 + CLK320cdi 2006+ 156 Alfa
Since buying my SL 350 2003 last year I on occasions got the "bonnet open" message in the dash. Lifting the bonnet and dropping from a good 18-24" seemed to do the trick, (but not always). At this time I could find no evidence that either of the catches had in fact come undone. I assumed it was the oversensitive microswitch that was the issue and I tried to clean and lubricate the area as best as I could. The messages then seemd to stop until now some 9 months later (although only about 1500 miles have been covered)
Now however the drivers side catch is clearly not locked when I get the message so the system is no longer crying wolf. I've tested the errant catch by inserting a screwdriver shaft of similar thickness to the bonnet mounted bar and the catch appears to work fine. Once latched no amount of pulling or wiggling seems to cause it to unlatch. When I drop the bonnet both sides are clearly latched and feel rock solid.
So does anyone have an idea about what's happening and how the catch can be adjusted? The top bar appears to have lock nuts that ought to allow it to protrude a little further doen but these seem like they're in fact locked solid. Perhaps I need to take the whole of the top catch assemble off? Thanks for your assistance,

Martin

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I would first lubricate the locks on the slam panel be be sure that the cable is releasing when they are closed, once yo have released the bonnet, see if you can close the locking plate a little.

OP
M

martin_sv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
350SL R230 2003 + CLK320cdi 2006+ 156 Alfa
Thanks Malcolm, (The cabrio one touch roof opening module you sold me has been such a useful mod, would hate to go back to the standard setup).
Re the adjustment you describe, The bonnet handle in the cabin seems to have plenty of free play before it released the catches but it's hard to tell whether there is any residuyal tension in the cable in spite of this free play. Re plate adjustment --- we are talking about the latches in the slam panel as opposed to the bars that trigger them on the bonnet I presume. Should I attempt to bend them to adjust??
martin

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If you have too much free play in the handle, this might suggest that the catches are not closing, normally lubricating the locks and the cables should sort it, you can see the plate that the handle pulls, it is this plate that might not be going fully home.

Pleased the top is working fine :D

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom