How do I decode a Computer reading and get the parts!

A-ClassLondonGal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 2005 W169 1.5
Hi

I went to an indpendent garage who gave me a print out I need to get 3 new parts and for them myself hopefully :) Not that know about cars but I do have a brain in my head!

So my question is either how do decode the read out or where do I find part numbers that arent in Russian!

I need to find parts for a 2005 A class 1.5
1) Rear Off Side Seatbelt Anchor
2) Heater Blower Regulator
3) NSF Seat Occupation Sensor

One last thing if I successfully fit the sensor will the SRS warning light go off? Or do the garage need to reset it

Thank you SO much for your help. Im really looking forward to all this is that daft :)

C x

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I am not very good re the A class but

The rear seat belt anchor mercedes or a breaker.

The regulator, there are 2 versions and fixed inside the heater box and the fan will probably have to be removed to get to it. I can double check this later.

The front seat sensor is more likely than not to be the connection under the seat, contact cleaner often cures this fault, the snag is the SRS warning can only be turned off on STAR the mercedes diagnostic gear or similar.

OP
A

A-ClassLondonGal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 2005 W169 1.5
Wow you guys are fab thank you so much Simon I will send you the VIN Number.

Thank you both for replying. Ive only just joined and thats so kind!

Caz x

OP
A

A-ClassLondonGal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 2005 W169 1.5
Um not to sound stupid but your name takes me to a shop page would you please give me a direct email for you so I can send my VIN number. Thank you.

Caz

OP
A

A-ClassLondonGal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 2005 W169 1.5
Television

When i went to the garge he wanted to Charge me £400 to replace the rear off side sensor. He told me they would have to take out the seats ( I checked my manual I recon I can do that) and take up the carpet, Ive yet to find out if I can do that.

The Seatbelt - its the anchor which is damaged some child probably stuffed a coin down it or something. (that looks like it mght be easy to replace)

The blower only works if set on full blast. I found this explaination

Andy used his internet source to find out what was involved, and much to his surprise and that of his source, the job involved pulling back the carpet on the drivers side,

Andy duly followed the information supplied, Using a suitable mirror look for and locate the resister housing which is towards the bottom and right of the centre consul, this Andy did without a problem and within 20 minutes was able to e-mail me to confirm that the resister was fitted and that the blower was now working normally, needless to say he was overjoyed at not only having completed the job himself but also because he had saved himself £420.87

Fitting
When fitting this unit the lug A goes to the bottom and subject to there being sufficient wiring (loom) length available, remove and re-fit the multi plug (4 spade connection)into the new resister after removing and before installing it into its housing, remember you are working blind, so take you time; remember also what you are saving in ££s based on the quote and cost of diagnostics above you will be saving yourself over £35 + per minute so you can afford to take your time, and obviously doing the job yourself is very worthwhile.

So I thought I could do that I could just do with a more detailed explanation.

What do you think? :)

X

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
What I can do is to print off the info for doing both jobs later in the day, then you can see if you fancy standing upside down to do it;)

OP
A

A-ClassLondonGal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 2005 W169 1.5
Okay I emailed the shop, just added your name.

OP
A

A-ClassLondonGal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 2005 W169 1.5
On now Television you should know better than to challenge a woman! Ive got to do t now havent I ...lol.

Thats so kind of you. Part of the reason Id like to try is just Id learn so much. And of course I love my car.

You're a STAR thank you so much (and I dont mean the computer!)

P.S. the garage said theyd charge me £40 to set the computer (once Ive fixed the car).

OP
A

A-ClassLondonGal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 2005 W169 1.5
Hi
Please Please would you send me those instructions. I

m going to fit the Anchor SeatBelt this weekend hopefully.
Part Number A169 860 3069 ( £30 for my A Class 2005 1.5) and the Heater Blower Resister Part Number A 169 820 0397 (£20) for anyone who wants the part numbers.

And get this..why didnt I think of this the guy who sold me the parts said if I cant fix the sensors on the passenger side he can get me a whole replacement seat! Yipeee.

The garage wanted to sell me a seat sensor and fit it for £350! If have to buy a new seat thats half the cost and the guy says its easy to install.

Television Im giving up the day job as rocket scientist and second woman on the moon and becoming a mechanic what do you think?!

Please please send me the instructions...Im so excited!

OP
A

A-ClassLondonGal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 2005 W169 1.5
I cant thank you enough for helping me decode the computer read out and get the part numbers I have saved a lot of money already and hope to fit the parts at the weekend. I am very excited and hope to post my experiences up next week.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Forget about the updates to the car just tell us about your life in general much more interesting....

OP
A

A-ClassLondonGal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 2005 W169 1.5
Tutt Tutt Mr Xfactor and until we pass the MOT my life 'IS' my car and beautiful she is too..lol.

OP
A

A-ClassLondonGal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 2005 W169 1.5
Ha Ha Steve thats funny. Steve you wouldnt know where I can get instructions to fit my seatbelt anchor and heater blower resister? Im struggling to find the info and I dont want to be a pain and keep asking people. Thanks.

One thing I did do was go to the Science Museum to see the 3D printer exhibition, it was small but very interesting. :)

OP
A

A-ClassLondonGal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 2005 W169 1.5
Hi

An Update I have updated my other posts but so you dont have to search. I just passed my MOT...hoorah

1) Seatbelt anchor, bought the part, easy to fit only problem undoing the bolt you need the right tool. But you can see how to do fit the new part just by looking at how it is already fixed in.
2) Heater Resistor was near the clutch, difficulty was removing the carpet, just pull it out in the corner. Use a torch, you should be able to easily see the resistor. Removing the part is easy, refitting the new part just clip in but may take a little force. Works beautifully!
3) SRS I contact a man who advertises to merely reset the computer. He disconnect the yellow connect under the passenger seat, reset the SRS and charged £40. The Airbag is always on now.

The original bill was around £600 at an indepndent Merc garage.
1) Seatbelt £30 (incl Postage), took 10 mins, cost nothing to fit. Garage quote £118
2) Heater Resistor cost £20 (incl postage) took 10 minutes to ft. Garage quote £99
3) Reset of SRS £40. Garage was going to charge £350 to refit a seat sensor. I happen to know my seat sensor is fine, I wouldnt suggest you by pass the SRS if you think there is damage.
4) Garage charged me £40 for a Diagnostic
5) Mot £54 at a council garage, they found nothing wrong and there were no suggestions.

My total £184 not £600.

I appreciate garages have overheads but I do feel that some of this stuff was just a rip off!

Now I just need to find a garage that does a good 'service' on the car :)

Thanks everyone for your help.

djt100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 A140 Classic
where did you get the parts please

Hi, I know this is an oldish thread, but where did you order the parts from?

Top Bottom