How many chances do you give the dealer ?

ken555

Reaction score
Website
www.catherineandken.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2007 AMG ML63
4 weeks ago went to see an approved used ML63 at a NW dealer.

Despite a small issue on the test drive we agreed a deal, complete with 2 years MB warranty.

Requested to pick the car up 2 weeks later to allow us time to transfer off personal plate on trade in and get updated V5 back.

2 weeks later car has "a fault" during last minute test. So no collection possible. Arrange another date a week later.

Forward to today, phone to check if it's now ready, nope. Waiting for parts from Germany. That takes at least 5 days so need to wait another week for a collection date.

Car was paid within a couple of days by Bacs transfer.

How many chances do you give then before we pull out of deal and start searching again?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Start looking now, see if you can find a better one

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Good advice from BC, you could definitely find a better deal out there I’m sure.
Even if you proceed with the purchase, it’s a bargaining tool .
Good luck.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
That's very irritating, and takes some of the exitement off your aquisition. I would just say that if the car was the right one, it will still be the right one in another week. Perhaps there's some little extra they could throw in as a sweetener in recognition of their inefficiency? An extra key, a tank of fuel...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
That's very irritating, and takes some of the exitement off your aquisition. I would just say that if the car was the right one, it will still be the right one in another week. Perhaps there's some little extra they could throw in as a sweetener in recognition of their inefficiency? An extra key, a tank of fuel...
Mercedes Manchester fitter Brabus Lights for me when I bought my Smart from them. I had Mercedes mats when my W213 was delayed. If you’re nice enough you can usually get something :)

OP
ken555

ken555

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
2007 AMG ML63

Already got the tank of fuel. ;) but it's so difficult to actually talk to salesman, currently talking to workshop managerfor updates.

Should also say the car is a 5 or 6 hour drive away, had to cancel 2 hotel bookings so far, lucky at no cost.

We're NE Scotland, all the ML63 seem to be in Cheshire / London or South coast.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Already got the tank of fuel. ;) but it's so difficult to actually talk to salesman, currently talking to workshop managerfor updates.

Should also say the car is a 5 or 6 hour drive away, had to cancel 2 hotel bookings so far, lucky at no cost.

That because the ML63's are owned where the "big" money is earned :rolleyes:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Cancelling depends on what you signed.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Why isn't the dealer sorting the number plates?

What is the actual problem with the car?

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I'd also be very interested to know what exactly are they attempting to fix?

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
4 weeks ago went to see an approved used ML63 at a NW dealer.

Despite a small issue on the test drive we agreed a deal, complete with 2 years MB warranty.

Requested to pick the car up 2 weeks later to allow us time to transfer off personal plate on trade in and get updated V5 back.

2 weeks later car has "a fault" during last minute test. So no collection possible. Arrange another date a week later.

Forward to today, phone to check if it's now ready, nope. Waiting for parts from Germany. That takes at least 5 days so need to wait another week for a collection date.

Car was paid within a couple of days by Bacs transfer.

How many chances do you give then before we pull out of deal and start searching again?
On a positive note at least the dealer did not try to make you take the car with a hidden fault! I agree though that 4 weeks is nonsense but I suspect this goes on quite a lot. Dealer gets car with a fault but does nothing about it until it's sold. Does seem to make a mockery of "Approved Used".

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h

Forget the Salesman and the Manager, write to the Head of the Dealership and tell him what you have told us ask him what he is going to do to redress the matter for you.

OP
ken555

ken555

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
2007 AMG ML63
Why isn't the dealer sorting the number plates?

What is the actual problem with the car?

The New DVLA system, requires the owner of the plate to do the "paperwork" same as the dealer no longer can put tax on the car.

The problem was a slight hunting on the idle, it would slowly oscillate between 800rpm and 1200 rpm when in park or netural.

They "think" it was an air leak in a pipe under the plenum. So are now waiting for new gaskets and bolts as they are one time only stretch bolts to fix the plenum back down.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I wouldn't be surprised if the delays are due to, Initial email being sent, delay at the other end acknowledging they've received the email, delay in authorising required work, delay in responding to first email. Then you have to wait for the dealer to call you back, but that's if they have nothing better to do.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
If it’s the one close to me the GM there is a decent bloke, name of Tony Price if that helps...
Any idea what the engine number is on the car?

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I don't get the culture we now live in....

MB found a problem with the car - they were honest about it and are fixing it for him. Seems the delays are beyond their control and are acting in good faith. Why should he go after a "hand out" ?

Used to know a couple who, whenever we went for dinner, angled for something for free.....I find it embarrassing.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof

MB found a problem with the car - they were honest about it and are fixing it for him. Seems the delays are beyond their control and are acting in good faith. Why should he go after a "hand out" ?

Used to know a couple who, whenever we went for dinner, angled for something for free.....I find it embarrassing.
Maybe we now live in a world where we want everything done now, and want to why it wasn't done now? As long as the communications are ok I'm pretty chilled out.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
But if you’ve paid for something and have to wait weeks for it, it’s very annoying. The dealer is making thousands on the sale, a small gesture by way of apology is a small and cheap way of engaging with the customer. Maybe they could actually offer delivery? Or a ceramic coating polish- or a free detailing voucher from a ‘local to you’ location? They’ll get all of it at trade cost, and show some degree of care for the worry you go through.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)

Used approved - they should check them and fix all BEFORE it goes on the forecourt. It would stop them looking like idiots, and save customer time and stress.

Top Bottom