How many things have Mercedes thought of?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Early 4 wheel brakes were lethal things and most car makers would not fit them for if you braked when going round a bend, the front wheel on the inside of that bend would lock up and spin the car, due to the extra leverage that was applies when the wheel were not straight.

The next problem was the strength needed to push the pedal when 4 wheel brakes were fitted. Rolls Royce were the first to get it right by fitting the operating rods over the fulcrum axis on the front axle where the wheel swivels.

The servo used by RR was driven from the gearbox with 2 clutches, one for the front wheels and the other for the rear wheels, and with this system the 70/30% distribution could be got, giving perfect straight line braking, with this system any driver could out brake any other car going at that time. Even the baby RR 20 had these brakes and could stop the car from 30 mph in 27 feet, where as an Austin 7 took 70 feet

OP
rf065

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Didn't the Jensen Interceptor FF have the Dunlop ABS in 1966?

"Anti-lock braking systems were first developed for aircraft in 1929, by the French automobile and aircraft pioneer, Gabriel Voisin, as threshold braking an airplane is nearly impossible. An early system was Dunlop's Maxaret system, introduced in the 1950s and still in use on some aircraft models.

A fully mechanical system saw limited automobile use in the 1960s in the Ferguson P99 racing car, the Jensen FF and the experimental all wheel drive Ford Zodiac, but saw no further use; the system proved expensive and, in automobile use, somewhat unreliable. However, a limited form of anti-lock braking, utilizing a valve which could adjust front to rear brake force distribution when a wheel locked, was fitted to the 1964 Austin 1800."

Russ

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"Anti-lock braking systems were first developed for aircraft in 1929, by the French automobile and aircraft pioneer, Gabriel Voisin, as threshold braking an airplane is nearly impossible. An early system was Dunlop's Maxaret system, introduced in the 1950s and still in use on some aircraft models.

A fully mechanical system saw limited automobile use in the 1960s in the Ferguson P99 racing car, the Jensen FF and the experimental all wheel drive Ford Zodiac, but saw no further use; the system proved expensive and, in automobile use, somewhat unreliable. However, a limited form of anti-lock braking, utilizing a valve which could adjust front to rear brake force distribution when a wheel locked, was fitted to the 1964 Austin 1800."

Russ

Thank goodness some normality is coming back into the thread, so many things were not very usable or practical in the early days.. many firms have made things and given them freely to the motoring manufactures that can help to save lives, and as shown, being the first to use is very different from being the first to invent something

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Hawk says they that MB were the first with 4 wheel brakes, yet I have a photo and details here of a RR with 6 wheel brakes and a servo as well this was photographed in Feb 1924 in the French Rivera, and there were many 4 wheel braked cars around then

You are a good friend Malcolm but you sure are misquoting me today. Check out posting 173 and you will see that I did not say that MB were the first with 4 wheel brakes. I was quoting your link.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You are a good friend Malcolm but you sure are misquoting me today. Check out posting 173 and you will see that I did not say that MB were the first with 4 wheel brakes. I was quoting your link.

This is what becomes of everyone using so called web sites for any info, and many things are not true and way out.

I have had good contacts when I lived in Sweden with Volvo. just the same as you do Hawk with MB in the UK.

I did get annoyed by some of the things said, by many others,Volvo are pioneers in innovation, just the same as Mercedes.
Twice I have said the the swedes share all info on safety to occupants and do not take out patents on life changing things, but it gets ignored.

The fact the MB had ABS in june xxx and Volvo august xxx does not make a first, it means that a new model came out where it could be fitted, and who cares,, I love my V70R and I love my SL, and I would rather drive that.

Sorry if it got personal, I normally never go near these post, Have a good night Chris and sorry about it all

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
No worries, good friend. Have a good night's sleep.

tony5535

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 350SL, A170,ML320
MB messages

Well, when I get in my car it says "Good morning, and welcome hope our day goes well!

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
Just saw this thread .

Mercedes-Benz have invented/pioneered a great many things .

1) They invented the motor car - Benz Patent Motorwagen 1886 - it all started from there !

In no particular order -

Fuel Injection - developed from the Messerschmitt fighters of WWII - first production car to have it was the 300SL Gullwing Coupe

Crumple zones and passenger safety cell - pioneered in the Ponton series of the 1950's

Bosch ABS - first available on the W116 450SEL 6.9 - provided by Mercedes-Benz under free licence to every other motor manufacturer even today .

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
The comments about four wheel brakes I cannot confirm at this time .

However , they do remind me of a remark made by Ettore Bugatti on criticism of the stopping power of his cars , which only had rear wheel brakes at the time .....

" My cars are made to GO , not stop ! "

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 Grand Edition 2011, ML350 Sport 2010, VW Splitscreen 1965
Tiger Woods was in a brand new SL when he came over for the Open. He went to fill it up in a remote garage in Scotland and as he got out of the car a tee fell out of his pocket.

The old boy who was tending the pumps asked him what it was and Tiger replied "it's to rest your balls on when you're driving"

"ah" said the old boy "Mercedes - they think of everything" :)

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom