How much for a ML 163 air con re gas ?

SATURDAY KIDS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 Coupe AMG Line
Hello all, any idea how much i should expect to pay for an air con re-gas.
Whilst i'm asking, any idea what exactly is a re-gas.
Thanks in advance.

Speednut

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 CLK 230 AVANTGARDE
A re-gas is where the refrigerant charge is replaced due to loss of refrigerant in the system, air con seals dry out and leak if the ac is not used often.

Expect to pay between £40 to £60 on average

Steve

OP
SATURDAY KIDS

SATURDAY KIDS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 Coupe AMG Line
Thanks Steve, can i assume it's a pretty standard job, Kwik fit are advertising deals at the moment, i am a little concerned about a prospective teenage chav mucking something up
No disrespect to chavs meant.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
kwikfit is a decent offer, the spotty chavs cant mess it up; as they just connect it up and the machine does the purge test regas. and no charge if you got a leak

robs-mbz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E300TD
I can recommend KwikFit, good price (£45), they leak test first, if it fails the test there is no charge. Nice friendly service, clean workshop and you can watch the work from the reception area.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
£45 to £50 seems to be the current going rate. A lot of people refer to a "re-gas", but perhaps you should be aware that what actually happens is that any remaining refrigerant in your system is removed and recycled, so if you have working air-con, but it is not that cold, it is probably just a top up that you need. Usually circa 200 grams of refrigerant. I do not trawl the forums for work - I tend to have enough as it is... , but I charge £45 for an air con service, including replenishment of any oil that is removed with the refrigerant, and leak detection dye, and offer a reduced rate of £35 if it is carried out at the same time as a "B" service. Try haggling with your usual servicing agent for a better deal - if you appear to know a bit about the subject, it often helps to get a fairer price...

If your air-con doesn't work at all it is possible that you have a leak, often from the condensor (radiator at the front) on the ML. Obviously any leak would have to be rectified before your air-con can be made to work again.

Last edited:
OP
SATURDAY KIDS

SATURDAY KIDS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 Coupe AMG Line
Thanks very much for the advice, all appreciated.

welwynnick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S500, Lexus Soarer Active
Does anyone have any opinions on the aerosol-type refrigerant top-ups you can get from accessory shops these days?

Cheers, Nick

stewartw

Reaction score
Is there a company called Tyre Sales near you, I got mine done for £25 from them, they are actually owned by the same company as Kwik Fit.

PooleCool

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a mobile AC engineer in Poole and have extensive experience with Mercs, including leak detection and condensor / compressor replacement, and regassing starting at £40. Just google PooleCool

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello Poolcool and welcome

Stomper

Reaction score
ML430 Gas Refill

Could anyone please advise me as to where the fill points are for the air con on an ML430 ? I can find the one at the front (right hand side under grill) but not sure where the other one is. Any help greatly appreciated.
Dave.

boschbrakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
99 ML430, 84 Porsche 944, 74 VW Karmann Ghia
did you find it yet?

Could anyone please advise me as to where the fill points are for the air con on an ML430 ? I can find the one at the front (right hand side under grill) but not sure where the other one is. Any help greatly appreciated.
Dave.

It is located under the right front top of the engine under the plastic cover. You must remove the cover to see it.

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
Had my air con recharged at kwik fit, their machine didnt pick up a small condensor radiator leak on the vacuum test and continued on to charge the system, i lost all the gas after 3 days ..... i subsequently fitted a new condensor radiator....KW then agreed a recharge at no extra cost.

Last edited:

Stomper

Reaction score
Many thanks boschbrakes - checked and there it was ! Had taken the ML in to two places for a system recharge and both had failed to find it.
Very important to have working air con in sunny South Wales :cool: LOL

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
The ML is now blowing 'cool' rather than 'cold'. I have arranged for a local (English!) mechanic to come and service/regas the system. He has some additives from the USofA which, he claims, makes it blow even colder than norm. This is MUCH needed at the moment with shade temps of mid-30's and a 'Severe Weather Warning' for July/August of 50..:shock:

Black car + hot sun = AirCon essential :D

I'll let you know how I get on.

p.s. The S-Class is a dream - lovely and 'icey cold' and not even on the lowest temperature setting yet :lol:

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
The ML is now blowing 'cool' rather than 'cold'. I have arranged for a local (English!) mechanic to come and service/regas the system. He has some additives from the USofA which, he claims, makes it blow even colder than norm. This is MUCH needed at the moment with shade temps of mid-30's and a 'Severe Weather Warning' for July/August of 50..:shock:

Black car + hot sun = AirCon essential :D

I'll let you know how I get on.

I wonder if it this product?.........take note of the warning in the last paragraph...........

Updated at 5 pm on 12/8/08
Bill Thomas of Always Build Green in Norwalk, Connecticut has been helping residential and commercial customers save money on their central air conditioning systems -- and it's never too early to start planning for the next cooling season.
Thomas says his secret is an exciting synthetic catalyst, branded "Get Cold," that can be added to a central HVAC system's refrigerant. Thomas says he tells customers they can easily expect to see energy savings of 10% on cooling costs as a result, but that he's seen as high as 45%, with an average of 25%.
What does Get Cold do? According to the manufacturer, it reduces the oil fouling that decreases air conditioner efficiency. Oil fouling occurs as the system's necessary lubricating oil coats interior surfaces over time, since a small amount of the oil travels with the refrigerant. The catalyst breaks the Vanderwaals (surface tension) forces between the oil globules and the walls of the refrigeration tubing. The capillary tubes, expansion valves and heat pump valves are cleaned of oil. Get Cold is also said to boost the "lubricity" (fun word for the day!) of the compressor oil by 18%.
By reducing oil fouling Get Cold is said to improve heat coil transfer by up to 73%, and to produce cold air faster. (For details on how air conditioning works, go here.) Vent air is said to be lowered by three degrees or more. Thomas points to a 2002 pilot study in Mexico that verified the results.
With Get Cold, Thomas says air conditioners last longer, require less maintenance and run quieter. It costs about $150 per ton of cooling capacity to install (should be done by an experienced HVAC technician), and works for residential, commercial, industrial and even automotive systems. Building a/c is sized in tons, with one ton cooling 12,000 BTUs per hour. As a general rule of thumb, you need one ton of cooling for each 500 square feet of living space, though cooling loads vary depending on many factors.
According to Thomas, in older homes with an average HVAC system you're looking at about 3 tons of cooling, so for about $450 in Get Cold you could see savings over time.
We'd like to see more hard evidence that this really works, and hear more from the HVAC industry.

Calls seeking comment have not yet been returned. In an article for The News (Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration), the trade warns, "Many other additives are available that have not been approved by OEMs and claim to provide benefits which are, at best, questionable." There may be some risk of damaging your equipment or voiding your warranty, so proceed carefully.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom