How to check for seperate oil cooler in W209?

reuben

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLK W209 270 cdi
Can someone tell me how to check if I have a seperate cooler after my radiator? Is it easy to see? When I took it into MB once the guy looked under the bonnet and said there was a seperate cooler, tapping something on the engine, but I want to double check...

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Hi..
I too have a seperate oil cooler on my car..
Though my car is a 203 it has the same engine..
I shall try to post a photo later tonight..
In my case if you open the bonnet there is a small extra radiator in front of the main radiator to the left (drivers side) and just abouve the bumper. I shall get dimensions and post a photo later after 10pm.. Sorry but I am out tonight..
Go look under your bonnet and check in fron of your rad...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi..
I too have a seperate oil cooler on my car..
Though my car is a 203 it has the same engine..
I shall try to post a photo later tonight..
In my case if you open the bonnet there is a small extra radiator in front of the main radiator to the left (drivers side) and just abouve the bumper. I shall get dimensions and post a photo later after 10pm.. Sorry but I am out tonight..
Go look under your bonnet and check in fron of your rad...

look at 210 in the link, many think that this is the box cooler,,it is not,its the power steering cooler.

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...648716.649&CT=F&cat=69J&SID=46&SGR=060&SGN=02

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
gearbox or engine oil cooler? the gearbox cooler will be in the rad.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
gearbox or engine oil cooler? the gearbox cooler will be in the rad.

Well I told Simon this some time back,,sadly he visited the famous 124 works where that super postman come MB indie told him the the power steering cooler was the gearbox cooler.

This is the same indie that removes water pumps with an angle grinder

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
malcolm, you must have sore lips from all that whistle blowing :D. i have read the posts on both forums regarding this chap, some good and some very bad :(. i do hope i can build a better reputation when i go live (1st january btw!)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Originally Posted by Ian B Walker View Post
My broken camshaft had nothing to do with a the tensioner. Upon examination it was found to have numerous cracks. Metal fatigue some would say.

I remember
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...aft#post206959

At least you are a genuine MB engineer, your memory and skills are impeccable on the post here that you have answered here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander patient View Post
malcolm, you must have sore lips from all that whistle blowing . i have read the posts on both forums regarding this chap, some good and some very bad . i do hope i can build a better reputation when i go live (1st january btw!)
http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/

Now with STAR
Edit/Delete Message

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can someone tell me how to check if I have a seperate cooler after my radiator? Is it easy to see? When I took it into MB once the guy looked under the bonnet and said there was a seperate cooler, tapping something on the engine, but I want to double check...

Sorry Reuben cos I didn't photo my oil cooler radiator tonight due to the weather peeing down..
Ian at 124 works showed me a partially stripped C270 CDI with the same secondary rad as mine has..
Its definitely NOT a power steering cooler..
It cools the "heat exchanger type device where the Auto gearbox fluid goes.
I have seen this with my own 2 eyes.. I am NOT imagining it..
For the last time on my car the ATF does NOT go into the radiator..
Just this once I am sticking up 100% for Ian as I saw the car with the same engine as mine as I say partially dismantled. Because of this I could see and trace all ATF pipes and coolant pipes very easily..
Other cars may well be different to mine. I can only tell you that thank god my ATF goes nowhere near my radiator !!

Reuben.. I shall post a photo tomorrow of the rad..

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
If you ring any Mb parts dept with your chassis or vin number and ask for a diagram of the autobox oil cooler they will email or fax this to you.. this should clear up your query...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
from chassis F333363 build date 19-08-02 a low temp cooler was added

OK I have finally solved the question, for the C270cdi this glycol problem does not exist as the C270 uses the 612.962 engine, and this engine is not affected, the cars that could be affected is the 203 that uses the 111, 112,271,611 and 646 engine

The only 203 that uses the 612990 is the C30 cdi amg.

So now we know for sure that Simons car is not affected

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Rueben you cannot have this fault as you do not have the 612.990 engine

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
At last a photo of the Rad..
A = The auxilliary Radiator I talked about..
B = The hoses that run from / to the heat exchanger which is buried under the engine covers and deep under the components.. Its pretty much impossible to see the actuall heat exchanger with partially dismantelling the upper engine components.
These hoses contain coolant/antifreeze..
There are other hoses that run from the auto gearbox to the heat exchanger.
Hope this helps you Reuben:)

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B = The hoses that run from / to the heat exchanger which is buried under the engine covers and deep under the components.. Its pretty much impossible to see the actuall heat exchanger with partially dismantelling the upper engine components.

Did you see the 2 post above that I did finally solving it Simon

OP
R

reuben

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for all the replies.

I checked my VIN on that russian site and the first six digits of the Engine number are 612967. So its not the exact number you said, Malcom. Not sure if this matters.

Thanks for the picture Simon - so if those hoses exist then its deffo a seperate cooler?

Thanks again!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for all the replies.

I checked my VIN on that russian site and the first six digits of the Engine number are 612967. So its not the exact number you said, Malcom. Not sure if this matters.

Thanks for the picture Simon - so if those hoses exist then its deffo a seperate cooler?

Thanks again!

Only the 209 270CDI with engine 612.992 is affected and your car is not on the list of cars with this problem.

You may not have the rad in Simons post

OP
R

reuben

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I checked, and I have that same extra radiator, with those pipes. That and Malcoms advice means I dont have to worry about the Glycol problem :) At least thats one thing!

Thanks for help.

EdBunge

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270CDI & B200

Hi, as this an old thread it would seem as though the photo link has been removed ...... Simon would you be so kind as to repost the photo - I seem to have leaked glycol into my ATF via the "Oil Cooler" heat exchanger. :( I will probably need to have my 722.6 auto transmission overhauled at a cost of ZAR 35k = GBP2,5k !

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom