How to drive an auto?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
jberks said:
I haven't checked but I believe Hawk is right on the reversing lights issue. The box is electronically controlled so there is no longer a mechanical reason that it has to pass through R at all. If you flick it into D, the computer should be smart enough to recognise what you are doing and go straight to D. This would certainly explain the slight delay when selecting R as it waits mometarily to see if your staying there.
The old 4speed mechanical units may go to D via R but I suspect the tip shift 5 speed boxes and the 7 speed units don't anymore.
I agree the leccy boxes don't flash the lights - had my son stand out in the cold this morning to check. Just wondered if Hawk would be doing the same :p

dagd

Reaction score
What a great thread! Have to say, that I usually put my SLK into N if stopping for a prolonged period ie lights just changed, Wifey is always telling me that I should leave it in D, she has a BMW auto and has done twice a many miles as me (60,000) without any sign of wear or clunking etc. So I looked at the handbook for both cars last night and they both say the same thing, ie leave in D unless stopping for long periods (doesn't say how long a long period is!).

So there we have it, two top car manufacturers encouraging us to break the law by leaving our breaklights on and dazzling others!

Incidently, how long is a 'long period' ? I'd like to know so that; a) I can avoid any undue wear and b) I can settle an argument with wifey:rolleyes:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
dagd said:
So there we have it, two top car manufacturers encouraging us to break the law by leaving our breaklights on and dazzling others!

Incidently, how long is a 'long period' ? I'd like to know so that; a) I can avoid any undue wear and b) I can settle an argument with wifey:rolleyes:
If you leave it in D with the handbrake on there is no dazzling lights. Just keep you foot on the brake until the car behind you has stopped then release it holding the car on the handbrake in D.
The time period is at your disgression, as for the argument with the wifey accept your wrong in good grace no matter what.

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
Last edited:

BarryG

Reaction score
SLinKyjoe said:
its amazing this t'internet aint it?

http://www.aas.com.sg/features/archive/otr1202.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/how-to-drive-economically6.htm

and from the boys at Rospa
http://www.rospa.co.uk/roadsafety/advice/driving/automatic_gearboxes.htm

has anybody emailed this question to Mercedes and see what they recommend?

and here is an interesting article:
http://www.allpar.com/corporate/auto-manual-transmission.html

Pleased with the ROSPA link shows me old Dad taught me pretty much spot on about handling an Auto.
Couple of quotes from there says it all for me.
"When stationary in traffic, even for many minutes, it is not necessary to move the gear lever into neutral because the torque converter absorbs the engine’s propulsion force but does not transmit it all to the gearbox. No wear is taking place. In fact, more wear will take place if you engage neutral then engage a drive gear when it is possible to move off. Most gearboxes will automatically select first gear when the vehicle becomes stationary."

"You should cover the footbrake when moving the gear lever when the vehicle is stationary. You may wish to set the parking brake as many vehicles will ‘creep’ and some vehicles may have a tendency to lurch, particularly if fitted with an automatic choke. Stops in traffic, at junctions and at traffic lights leave the selector in D. There is no need to move into neutral, as no damage will result. You may wish to set the parking brake if the pause becomes a wait but your decision will depend on the circumstances."

Barry

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
T he internet may be amazing, just like a news paper everyone believes it to be true because it has been written. Lots of the info is way out of date.
I liked the other bit where you point the wheels to the kerb on ice,so that you can destroy the tyre and wheel, mount the pavement, mow down a few pedestrians, the go to the MB workshop and complain that your car is pulling to one side or the other.
All of the hand books that I have say that you leave the car in D for normal driving, just the way that I have done since 1960. As for arguing over what happens when someone hits you are the back side in D;N;P or R who cares, that's the least of your problems, for those driving around with that on their mind is sad.

malcolm

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
dagd said:

Read JBerks , posting number 72. There is no wear and tear. In fact, changing from D to N or to P and back again causes wear -not sitting for a minute or two in D.

I agree, great thread, and good to see the Merc and BMW advice - leave it in D unless stopping for a while.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
BarryG said:
the ROSPA link shows:- "When stationary in traffic, even for many minutes, it is not necessary to move the gear lever into neutral because the torque converter absorbs the engine’s propulsion force but does not transmit it all to the gearbox. No wear is taking place. In fact, more wear will take place if you engage neutral then engage a drive gear when it is possible to move off. Most gearboxes will automatically select first gear when the vehicle becomes stationary."

"You should cover the footbrake when moving the gear lever when the vehicle is stationary. You may wish to set the parking brake as many vehicles will ‘creep’ and some vehicles may have a tendency to lurch, particularly if fitted with an automatic choke. Stops in traffic, at junctions and at traffic lights leave the selector in D. There is no need to move into neutral, as no damage will result. You may wish to set the parking brake if the pause becomes a wait but your decision will depend on the circumstances."

Barry

IMPORTANT postings by SlinkyJo and Barry giving ROSPA's views because ROSPA is the premier accident prevention body in the UK.This underlines the JBerks point. NO WEAR IS TAKING PLACE when sitting in D.
Secondly, confirms what Merc and BMW say in their handbooks, when at the lights leave it in D
Thirdly, confirms the main view of this thread: leave it in D.
Fourthly for stops of a minute or so use the footbrake (as most of us do anyway) while leaving it in D
Fifthly, (I like this one) ROSPA says if the pause/stop is longer "you may wish to set the parking brake if the pause becomes a wait but your decision will depend on the circumstances." For example if the wait is going to become several minutes,as at a level crossing, you may choose to switch off, go into P, save fuel and save the car behind breathing your fumes.

rukako

Reaction score
somebody can tell me the difference between W ans S

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

S is standard 1st gear start where as W the car starts in 2nd ideal for icy conditions as less likely to spin the wheels. It could be said the W gives you are more lesurely drive and a little more economical.

Malcolm

Hibbo

Reaction score

W=winter, S=summer.

In W it starts in second and changes earlier (ie at lower revs)
Is S it starts in first and holds the gears a bit longer (changes at higher revs)

Hibbo

Reaction score
S is standard 1st gear start where as W the car starts in 2nd ideal for icy conditions as less likely to spin the wheels. It could be said the W gives you are more lesurely drive and a little more economical.

Malcolm

That wasn't there when I clicked 'reply'! :p

Reaction score
... W gives you are more lesurely drive and a little more economical.

Malcolm

I know that's the theory but it didn't seem to work out like that for me. Someone else asked this question and I tried the journey to the office in S on the way there and W on the way back and got exactly the same mpg. btw all I find when I use W is that it feels sluggish pulling away (for obvious reasons), the gear changes are still as lumpy :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I know that's the theory but it didn't seem to work out like that for me. Someone else asked this question and I tried the journey to the office in S on the way there and W on the way back and got exactly the same mpg. btw all I find when I use W is that it feels sluggish pulling away (for obvious reasons), the gear changes are still as lumpy :(

On all fuel economy test runs the car is put into top gear as soon as possible.
With manual cars they use first to get the car as fast as possible then go into top.

What you did not tell us Omni was that its down hill going to work and uphill all the way home. :-D :-D

malcolm

Hibbo

Reaction score

I think you'll only see a difference if you do a lot of town driving, if most of your miles are cruising in top, then you won't really see a difference.

ridway

Reaction score
Well as a driver who has only had manuals for 33 years and having just about to buy an auto I'm suffering from an overload of info with this thread.
It has made me think carefully what I do in a manual.

When on level ground I simply use the foot brake and leave it in neutral; suppose this equates to staying in drive and the footbrake to stop forward creep. On a slight uphill incline, I know you should not, but I hold it on the clutch; again I suppose this is equivelant to D and foot brake. On seriously steep uphill inclines its the neutral and handbrake. On a downhill incline I tend towards the parking brake, especially on a steep T junction; it feels safer. So in this case maybe P or N with the hand/foot brake?

One last question on "P". Would a shunt up the rear end wreck the box? Surley modern autoboxes have the strength to cope with this; I would have thought that the rear wheels would just slide across the tarmac. I could see there may be more of a chance of damage if the impact were from the front as the rear wheels would tend to dig in? But how often would that happen?

Great thread BTW, Im still determined to have an automatic!!

Top Bottom