How to get better MPG?

HarryV

Reaction score
I drive an A 150 classic, no refinements just a bog standard 08 model.

Most of my driving is urban and or town with some motorway journeys but not many. My current average is 43.4 mpg which I think is pretty abysmal. I'll be driving down to France later in the year and I would really like to get better milage than that. I do practice economical driving but is there anything else I do to improve things?

Thanks

Harry

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
How to get better MPG

Buy a push bike. ;)

ps. I bet that doesn't help. :rolleyes:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Actually turning the aicon off may have more serious implications.. A recent survey has suggested that ppl with aircon in their cars have fewer allergies and lung problems due to the filtered air from the aircon......

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Turn the aircon of!!

Try to think that an egg is under the accelerator & press very gently.
When you reach your cruising speed, say 60mph, slightly releasing the pressure on the pedal will sustain that speed using less fuel. Takes a bit of practice before you get it just right.

Think well ahead to avoid having to brake & accelerate again, if you can keep a constant speed mile after mile, you will use less fuel, as long as the constant speed is not 120mph. :lol:

Russ

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Actually turning the aicon off may have more serious implications.. A recent survey has suggested that ppl with aircon in their cars have fewer allergies and lung problems due to the filtered air from the aircon......

Surely the incoming air passes through the filter whether the A/C is on or off?

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Keep the kids quiet.

That's not as daft as it sounds because it stops you getting ratty, and when you do get ratty, you drive more aggressively.

Oh, and don't open the windows.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
You need the sensor turning down then, my C,class used to do that, set the sensor lower and now its fine!!

OP
H

HarryV

Reaction score
Try to think that an egg is under the accelerator & press very gently.
When you reach your cruising speed, say 60mph, slightly releasing the pressure on the pedal will sustain that speed using less fuel. Takes a bit of practice before you get it just right.

Think well ahead to avoid having to brake & accelerate again, if you can keep a constant speed mile after mile, you will use less fuel, as long as the constant speed is not 120mph. :lol:

Russ

Thanks Russ, I drive like that anyway. I'm an observer for the Institute of Advanced Motorists and I instruct my associates to drive that way too.

NJones59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI Avantgarde
You need the sensor turning down then, my C,class used to do that, set the sensor lower and now its fine!!

How do you do that? As I find my lights coming on at times when I am contmplating putting on my sunglasses :)

Oh, and getting back to the original topic. I am sure that you will find an increase in MPG once in France as the driving is far more sedate over there due to the lack of traffic and associated idiots up your rear end, if you'll pardon the expression.

djb

Reaction score
Surely the incoming air passes through the filter whether the A/C is on or off?

I think so, but some say the drier air is better for you, what is more certain , having the window open above 40 uses more fuel than air con on window, shut,due to drag.

stu99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk
I would consider 43 mpg to be pretty reasonable and comparable to my average over the past 3 years (same car, same spec).

I have on occasions managed 50 mpg on peri-urban A and B roads (egg under the accelerator approach) and also better consumption when it is warmer (by about 5 to 10%).

Mercedes engines are not known for their fuel efficiency and so if this is a priority you might have to consider switching to diesel or (as a last resort) another make of vehicle.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
How do you do that? As I find my lights coming on at times when I am contmplating putting on my sunglasses :)

Oh, and getting back to the original topic. I am sure that you will find an increase in MPG once in France as the driving is far more sedate over there due to the lack of traffic and associated idiots up your rear end, if you'll pardon the expression.

Has to be done on Star!!

OP
H

HarryV

Reaction score
Keep the kids quiet.

That's not as daft as it sounds because it stops you getting ratty, and when you do get ratty, you drive more aggressively.

Oh, and don't open the windows.

ROFL. Sound advice Helen, my kids are all grown up and gone away. They still ask for money :lol:

OP
H

HarryV

Reaction score

Guess thats OK if you happen to live in your car and never turn the engine off.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver

Most of my driving is urban and or town with some motorway journeys but not many. My current average is 43.4 mpg which I think is pretty abysmal. I'll be driving down to France later in the year and I would really like to get better milage than that. I do practice economical driving but is there anything else I do to improve things?

Thanks

Harry

Whats the milliage on the car, they do get better with a few more miles on them. My uncle has a 1600cc 56 plate megane which gets about the same so reckon there is a 5% improvement to get. I'm assuming its a petrol engine.

Try overinflating the tyres, and if its a petrol keeping it below 2500rom (2000rpm if its a diesel-then your MPG is abysmal).

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport

Thanks

Harry

That's not at all bad for a Petrol A class (A150). I'm surprised you aren't happy with that.

My brother has the a 160cdi manual diesel and that gets over 60 mpg.

Turning off the aircon makes little difference despite the oft repeated myths. I've tried it over and over, on long trips, and the difference with modern units is trivial. BTW serious studies have shown you use more fuel with the windows open to keep cool than you do with the aircon on.

Acceleration is the worst thing to affect fuel economy. Never push the pedal down more than 1 inch (25mm) and you will save lots of fuel.

Never exceed the 70mph speed limit and you will save loads of fuel.

Never have fun driving in a spirited way and you'll save loads of fuel.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
That's not at all bad for a Petrol A class (A150). I'm surprised you aren't happy with that.

Turning off the aircon makes little difference despite the oft repeated myths. I've tried it over and over, on long trips, and the difference with modern units is trivial. BTW serious studies have shown you use more fuel with the windows open to keep cool than you do with the aircon on.

Sorry, I have read this too on other forums and for many times in practice I have found this false when I run the a/c but not when others do with their MPG stats. Its down to what temp you run the a/c. If the OP likes a cool car like me the a/c will reduce the MPG a lot

You are correct if you run the climate control and set the temp between 20c-22c. I prefer my a/c at 17c or even 16c on a sunny day and this has a much more adverse effect on the MPG than the additional drag of having the windows down. Its because the a/c unit has to work a lot harder to keep the temperature down to 16c than it does to keep the car at 22c inside. BMW claimed that using the a/c reduced the MPG by 1mpg on a 316i but with windows down and sunroof open 5mpg reduction.

Normally with my a/c on at 17c my car struggles to hit 45pg on the run to Helensburgh to Dunmbarton driving like a nun. With windows down I can get 51mpg on the same conditions using no a/c and its because in my car I run it cool.

Acceleration is the worst thing to affect fuel economy. Never push the pedal down more than 1 inch (25mm) and you will save lots of fuel.

100% correct, just to add the method of "slow to go", and to try and keep the car moving in town rather than stopping as less energy is needed to move the car off again. Forward planning, anticipation do wonders for MPG

Never exceed the 70mph speed limit and you will save loads of fuel.

Never have fun driving in a spirited way and you'll save loads of fuel.

Aye, spirited driving reduces MPG but I've always found on a rural twisty road hard not to drive it fast, these are genuinely good fun cars to drive and not to enjoy them isn't worth the additional 5mpg. On a motorway at 90mph indicated mine still gets over 40mpg. Amazing for a comfy luxury car.

Last edited:
Top Bottom