How to get better MPG?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Interesting on the "gentle acceleration" thing - in another economy thread, a garage owner said he had shown it was best to get up to cruising speed reasonably smartly and then back off, rather than spend ages building up speed. Be interesting to see some exact figures from suitable tests.

Thats the way they do it in Sweden Rory, get the car into top as soon as possible

djb

Reaction score
Someone else mentioned (perhaps tonque in cheek) overinflating the tyres. Apart from the danger that might create and the excess wear in the centre's, all the tests I've seen indicated that even dramatically under or over inflated tyres surprisingly makes little measurable difference to fuel consumption.

I think most will agree under inflation definately uses more fuel, the greater flexing heats the tyre, in extremis, leading to failure. Also the need to replace sooner!

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
On 'gentle' acceleration, it all turns on what you mean by gentle. Nobody is suggesting taking ages to get up to desired cruising speed.

On MB diesel cars if you push the accelerator down no more than an inch -25mm approx- it accelerates reasonably swiftly. And economically.

What many do is give it a bootfull and shove it way down which uses loads of fuel for little real gain. And from my experience that harms economy a very great deal.

OP
H

HarryV

Reaction score
Thank you everybody for the replies.

I agree that driving technique will vastly improve fuel efficiency. I use an array of methods: avoid stop/starts when ever possible, it takes more energy to move off from a standing start than when rolling; lesson the g-forces, bends increase the stresses and therefore use more fuel, taking the correct line makes for a smother drive too. Acceleration has been talked about, current IAM thinking is to increase your speed gently at the maximum toque of the engine, lessons wear and tear on the engine too. Yes it would be interesting to see some comparative studies done on acceleration. Not sure about the spider or Mandleson technique, I think I'll pass on that one, lol.

For those who think 43mpg is acceptable. My last car was a Toyota Yaris Verso 1300 (petrol) I never had less than 60mpg, 70+ was usual and my best was 84 so you can see why I am disgusted with 43. I was assured that I could expect 50 from the A class and was talked out of the diesel because "you wont see any benefit unless you are doing a lot of miles", my own fault for believing a sales man. It was against my better judgement to settle for this car if only Toyota had not stopped making the yaris verso ..... .

I was hoping there was some modifications that could improve economy, engine tuning, changing the air filter, tweak to the engine management or something. I guess the best advice was buy a push bike or anything other than a MB and I think I'll be doing just that as soon as I can.

If you have not already done one think about taking an advanced driving course.

Drive safe

Harry

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I think most will agree under inflation definately uses more fuel,

You would think that, but tests consistently show that it barely makes any difference - and certainly not the huge differences that some economy articles would have you believe.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My last car was a Toyota Yaris Verso 1300 (petrol) I never had less than 60mpg, 70+ was usual and my best was 84 so you can see why I am disgusted with 43.

In that context then yes, I can see why you're upset.

..but 60MPG is astonishing, 70 leaves me speechless and I just can't think of
what to say to 84.

ETA: I just quickly Googled the Yaris Verso 1.3 Government MPG and got: 35.3mpg / (extra urban) 51.4mpg /(combined) 44.1mpg. Many people complain they can't get the Government figures so your results are....astonishing?

Last edited:

Splatt

Reaction score
43 mpg for the A150 diesel is not so hot, I was getting that from my 160 petrol. I do find though that cars vary from each other even though identical spec. One will be good on fuel consumption from the outset and another will drink more no matter what you do to try and improve it. I do think though that a good running in does help. A previous car I had to do a 500 mile run the day after it came from the dealers. The journey was diabolical, just heavy traffic and 50 mph all the way. That car though was the most economical of that series afterwards.

clive-cls

Banned
Reaction score
A Remap will give a large gain in MPG ...

Im now getting 5 MPG better (based on tank to tank not trip computer)

Clive

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I was assured that I could expect 50 from the A class and was talked out of the diesel because "you wont see any benefit unless you are doing a lot of miles", my own fault for believing a sales man.
Harry

I had an A150 & B150 on two occasions as courtesy cars & found them to be very slow & underpowered cars. I get far better fuel consumption out of my CLK than I could manage with either of them and travel faster at the same time.
I think the diesel would have been a better bet.

Russ

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
On 'gentle' acceleration, it all turns on what you mean by gentle. Nobody is suggesting taking ages to get up to desired cruising speed.

On MB diesel cars if you push the accelerator down no more than an inch -25mm approx- it accelerates reasonably swiftly. And economically.

What many do is give it a bootfull and shove it way down which uses loads of fuel for little real gain. And from my experience that harms economy a very great deal.

What you are really aiming for is on your car for it to change up before 2200rpm. Use the manual overide if you need but a reasonable driver can influence the gear changes with their right foot (automatic cars). How you accelerate in that time from 1500-2200rpm won't make a huge difference. Its the RPM.

BTW all posts re climate control are right. Outside @ 25c inside at 22c means the system only has to generate a 3c difference, and with tinted windows (blue on AG models) this is even easier. Try however getting the car down to 16c when outside its 23c and you'll notice the difference in MPG.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Thank you everybody for the replies.

I agree that driving technique will vastly improve fuel efficiency. I use an array of methods: avoid stop/starts when ever possible, it takes more energy to move off from a standing start than when rolling; lesson the g-forces, bends increase the stresses and therefore use more fuel, taking the correct line makes for a smother drive too. Acceleration has been talked about, current IAM thinking is to increase your speed gently at the maximum toque of the engine, lessons wear and tear on the engine too. Yes it would be interesting to see some comparative studies done on acceleration. Not sure about the spider or Mandleson technique, I think I'll pass on that one, lol.

For those who think 43mpg is acceptable. My last car was a Toyota Yaris Verso 1300 (petrol) I never had less than 60mpg, 70+ was usual and my best was 84 so you can see why I am disgusted with 43. I was assured that I could expect 50 from the A class and was talked out of the diesel because "you wont see any benefit unless you are doing a lot of miles", my own fault for believing a sales man. It was against my better judgement to settle for this car if only Toyota had not stopped making the yaris verso ..... .

I was hoping there was some modifications that could improve economy, engine tuning, changing the air filter, tweak to the engine management or something. I guess the best advice was buy a push bike or anything other than a MB and I think I'll be doing just that as soon as I can.

If you have not already done one think about taking an advanced driving course.

Drive safe

Harry

First the Yaris is a small car. Too little legroom for me front and rear. The A class is as big inside as an E class. Different kettle of fish altogether.

Sorry but I find it hard to believe that the fuel economy figures you give for the Yaris Verso could possibly be tankful to tankful.

And by the way 43 mpg for a petrol driven car the size and weight of an A class is in line with what you should expect from the govt figures and from road tests.

If you want more the A160cdi offers up to 65mpg combined cycle.

Last edited:

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
I got 65MPG out of my Daughters 2 year old Corsa, with a 3 pot Suzuki petrol engine in it, last year when I borrowed it for a run down to Poole, and back ........... fantastic ( seeing as I pay the bills)

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I got 65MPG out of my Daughters 2 year old Corsa, with a 3 pot Suzuki petrol engine in it, last year when I borrowed it for a run down to Poole, and back ........... fantastic ( seeing as I pay the bills)

Yes. Even smaller than a Yaris. And it doesn't weigh as much, or have the same frontal area as an A class. Nor does it have a 1500cc engine. Other than that it makes a first rate comparator!:D

OP
H

HarryV

Reaction score
With luck I've added a photo of the read out on my yaris. Due to a computer crash I dont have any of my best mpg. Even working out from tank to tank the milage was in the high 60's to low 70's.

Attachments

• 71.jpg
    71.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 4

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
With luck I've added a photo of the read out on my yaris. Due to a computer crash I dont have any of my best mpg. Even working out from tank to tank the mileage was in the high 60's to low 70's.

Don't weaken! I report good performance figures from time to time which others find hard to credit (S 320 CDI, 44.5 mpg over 1500 miles at motorway cruising speeds, brim to brim, tyres 40,000 per set, brake pads 43,000 and counting - I have never changed a set of discs in 44 years of motoring).

The diplomatic folks who comment say they find it "hard to credit" - some are less subtle.

I once achieved within .01 mpg of the theoretical maximum in a Peugeot 205 GLD (70 mpg) and that was 21 years ago, so I would not be at all surprised by the phenomenal result you achieved in the Yaris.

Sadly, showing people the dashboard computer will raise a rash of comments about the difference between a computer figure and the actual consumption - some are optimistic and some are pessimistic - but that is just an other "canard". You know what you did, so don't let the doomsayers put you off! :)

A

alindsay81

My last tank got me 490 miles using 56.73ltrs of diesel, i calculate this to be a disappointing 39.27mpg - computer said i got 48.7

W203 C220 Auto

I am trying to achieve 500 miles to a tank, but have never been able to do it. I try to take it as easy as possible and keep it under 60mph, have tried using cruise/limiter but just cant make 500 miles!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't weaken! I report good performance figures from time to time which others find hard to credit (S 320 CDI, 44.5 mpg over 1500 miles at motorway cruising speeds, brim to brim, tyres 40,000 per set, brake pads 43,000 and counting - I have never changed a set of discs in 44 years of motoring).

I can beat all those figures (by miles) with my C270CDi - and it's an estate and they're less economical than saloons.

However we also run 3 small petrol cars - Honda Jazz (1.3 4 cyl - lovely engine), Mitsubishi Colt (1.1 3cyl - nice engine) and SEAT Ibiza (1.2 3cyl - horrible engine around town, much better when stretched a bit).

I have won economy and smooth driving competitions and am a gold standard advanced driver but none of those cars will do more than 50MPG (and the Ibiza won't get anywhere near even that). Sure, I had 77.something on the Jazz last night after refilling and reseting the computer, but it soon settles down again to around the 50MPG area. I daresay, that if I turned on to the motorway, reset the trip and then drove at 55MPH with the wind behind me it would very economical, but that's hardly realistic (or safe).

Baldrick123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 "03" 220cdi
How to get better MPG

My last tank got me 490 miles using 56.73ltrs of diesel, i calculate this to be a disappointing 39.27mpg - computer said i got 48.7

W203 C220 Auto

I am trying to achieve 500 miles to a tank, but have never been able to do it. I try to take it as easy as possible and keep it under 60mph, have tried using cruise/limiter but just cant make 500 miles!

Interesting as I also have a W203 C220 cdi Auto and get similar figures 40mpg brim to brim but the computer says 52mpg. My petrol C180 produces the same figure. I think there is something wrong with the car so it is going in on Monday to get sorted. I will let you know what they find.

Andy

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I can beat all those figures (by miles) with my C270CDi - and it's an estate and they're less economical than saloons.

Yes the C270CDI does seem to score excellent marks for fuel economy, and on many threads.

The S Class is a rather heavier car, I suspect, but I regularly exceed 40 mpg and get around 700 miles per tank on long journeys.

OP
H

HarryV

Reaction score
I like the way the thread has moved from how to get more to how much you get. It would be nice if Mercedes (and others) would sit uptake notice and think about making a more economical and environmentally responsible cars. The Japanese can do it why can't the Europeans?

OY! Stop Theif! Come back here with my soap box!

BTW. My average (by readout) has gone to 44.5 and I'm still not happy.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom