Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Last edited:

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Points to note from the description:
These are not High Intensity Discharge lamps (HID), nor are they Xenon.
They emit light over 360 degree arc and unless you have a projector lens assembly I bet that they will cause severe glare to other road users.
There are no specifications as to their actual output nor current draw.
above all, although legal to sell, in the UK they are most likely illegal to fit - certainly no mention of any certification, even CE marking is missing.

OP
J

jasonyw

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/1997/1.8;W211/2005/E200K
  • Banned
"How do I make sure it does not glare incoming drivers?"
Don,t fit them they are illegal.

"It got one male terminal, the original connector got 2 female slots, did I buy the wrong bulbs?"
Sounds like you have bought the wrong ones from your description it sounds like you should of bought these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1X-H7-102...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item540621fecf

it for fog headlight not ordinary headlight

then what LED headlight they used are legal?

OP
J

jasonyw

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/1997/1.8;W211/2005/E200K
  • Banned
Last edited:

Lexman8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (2001): Distronic, Bose, Keyless Go; Honda CR-V EX (2011)
To be clear: all LED bulbs that replace any type of OEM filament/discharge bulb are illegal. In general, only LEDs specified and fitted at the time of manufacture of the car are legal. The only exception to this is retro-fitted DRLs as long as they are correctly installed and wired.

However, some believe that there is a case for fitting LEDs as reversing lights (higher luminosity) or brake lights (faster response) and often MOT inspectors will let those pass. But replacement LEDs for headlamps are a complete no-no. The light pattern will be totally wrong leading to poor illumination of the road and will almost certainly dazzle oncoming drivers.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Just a pointer if you're hoping to save fuel due to them being more power efficient then think again. The light detection circuit requires a certain power draw by the lamp to show that it's lit, this is why, in order to prevent false indications, LEDs typically have a ballast resistor fitted to ensure that the current draw is the same as an OEM bulb.

Boxbrownie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350Cdi BE but now a Q3
Fitted in a headlamp, main or dip and foglamp these will be far worse than any Xenon/HiD aftermarket replacement, at least a Xenon has a simliar burn centre to a Halogen bulb, these LED bulbs have the light focal point all over the place, they will be a total disaster!

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
The first link posted, as mentioned, no output power or colour temp..
the 2nd had many more led,s but 400 lumen output.. compared to a xenon around 3000 lumen i think they would be rather dull !

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To be clear: all LED bulbs that replace any type of OEM filament/discharge bulb are illegal. In general, only LEDs specified and fitted at the time of manufacture of the car are legal.

On my last year MOT, I got advisory that, front position lamps "deteriorated, but still visible", so a couple of months later, when the time came to get the B service done, I asked MB to replace the bulbs with LED ones, which they did, free of charge (stealers, eh?). I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have done it, had it been illegal.

Completely agree about replacing main bulbs (H1, H7, H4, etc) with LED/SMD ones - unless specifically manufactured for the purpose (including reflector/lens assembly), these are useless, and generally LED/SMD/COB are great for being seen, not for illuminating the road ahead of you.

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
The LED bulbs are rubbish for light to see where you are going, but ok for being seen.

As for headlights, don't even go there, I tried them both in cars and motorbikes and not enough light to see where you are going. Solution on bikes was to fit higher wattage with a relay and a refocus to avoid dazzle.

Cleaning the plastic headlight lenses made a significant difference, using a very mild rubbing compound and a lot of elbow grease. Mercedes bulb connectors/holders do not like high wattage bulbs, they melt.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom