How to lubricate the wiper mechanism

Russell-C180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc '98 C180 Espirit Auto 148k - Bad Boy
Fitted

Update...

Bought the motor from eBay, following the link from Dec. Paid £62 all in and traded outside eBay with next day delivery. Wunderpartz, nice service.

Quoted £40-£45 from a mechanic to fit it so settled with my usual one for £30 to fit it in.
I couldn't do it, half the problem being, I didn't have the tools.

Collected it yday, knackered gear teeth. Works fine. Only thing tho, resting position is now on the psngr side. It sweeps over to driver side, back to psngr side, goes to far over hitting the rubber rim then back up 5" to rest. I think I can live with that as even my mechanic spent 2 hrs doing it which is why I couldn't get the job done for £25.

Problem now - the wiper blade is no good. Teh universal ones are crap, they don't fit proper. Called German and Swedish for a replacement to fit mine snuggly, £11.50 all in! Bit much I thought.

Dec, know of any place I can get the wiper for my Merc cheaper or is this the going rate?

Thank you all for your Dec. Both mechanics were shocked I got the motor for £62.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Thanks for the update Russell, the correct blade for your car is a 24 inch Bosch, you have to buy the whole blade now, it seems the don’t do the insert strip anymore, someone on here said the got one for around £11 somewhere, might have been Halfords, but not sure.

Regarding the mechanism, it’s a complicated contraption and your mechanic probably wasn’t aware of the correct procedure to install a new motor or how to park the wiper blade correctly.
You could print out the below and give it to him, tell him it will be handy the next time he has to do this job again.

The procedure is outlined below;

Before you do any work on the wiper mechanism be sure to park the motor first, even if it is a new motor.
To park the motor, do the following;
=Turn on ignition
=Turn ON wiper for 2 seconds
=Turn OFF wiper AT THE STALK SWITCH
=Wait 2 seconds for the wiper motor to finish its cycle and come to a stop.
=Remove key from ignition.
Your wiper MOTOR is now parked, your wiper BLADE may not be where it is supposed to be on the screen, so disregard that as that is what you are about to rectify.

What has to be done to correct the park position of the blade is to free off Nut 1 as in second picture and move the wiper arm “hub” from the passenger side over to the driver side making sure everything is aligned as in first picture below.

Dec

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Russell-C180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc '98 C180 Espirit Auto 148k - Bad Boy
Stalls

I'll get it from German and Swedish then, £11.50.

I dropped it to the mechanic today, ocassionally the wiper doesn't work at all. Indicators are fine, when I put the wipers on - nothing. Happened all day yesterday, not a noise from the wiper motor, nothing, dropped it to him this morning as it was still not working.

He says he checked it and it was up and running again. This occurred last week. It didn't work. I left it for the night, came back in the morning and the wiper is working fine again.

Any ideas? I won't drive it far because of this problem, just local. Weird tho.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Looks like an electrical problem;

A new motor so unlikely to be that
Fuse or wiring connection
Relay, number 2 in second picture, poor contact
Stalk switch
Check for power at the SOCKET for the wiper plug, first picture.

Dec
EDIT I just seen your car is 1998 so the wiper plug and soccket will be close to relay number 2 to the left of the fuse box, however you will have a diffrent type of relay to what is pictured below.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

shripadsathe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
smart and w202 c250tdi auto saloon
Amazing pictures.
I have purchased a W202 C250TDi Saloon Automatic, have noticed the wiper is not "pushing up" to corners, but just going along and cleaning - any pointers why ?

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
A previous owner may have jammed the mechanism as the blade may have been hitting the side windscreen trim.
If you look under the “turtle shell” cover at the hub of the wiper arm you may see something in there purposely attached to the sliding mechanism to solve a fault in the mechanism so as the blade WON’T slide up into the corners.

If the mechanism hasn’t been purposely jammed I would suggest that you do so with a lolly pop stick as described in the picture.

DON’T lubricate the mechanism as that won’t solve the fault, if you do, the blade will extend during its sweep and may not retract as it approaches the side trim, possibly jamming in the side trim. The fault that you have is that a gear inside the hub is slipping on its shaft, it is the gear as described in pictures below, it cant be seen until the mechanism is dismantled.

Dec
attachment.php

attachment.php

kenk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
203 C270 CDI Elegance
Extending wiper arm

Hi All,
Newbie here.
If I am reading this right then the fact that the wiper arm extends when in use, is actually a fault and not intentional?
If a fault could it not be stopped by the use of a self tapping screw through the 2 plastic sections at the base of the arm?

Ken

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
No Ken, it is intentional, it is supposed extend and retract so as to clean a greater area of the windscreen.

If your wiper blade, at no time strikes the side trim of the windscreen then you don’t have a fault.

To avoid developing this fault, lubricate the mechanism under the “turtle shell” cover about 2 or 3 times a year…only a 5 minute job when you get the hang of it.

Dec

4.6 gt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'91 124 estate 300,'02 mustang gt, transit connect
attempted to do the wiper greasing job on my '91 124 but the big piece covering the mech won't just pull off, it's a metal job & feels like it's held on from underneath somehow, not like the one in the pics.Is it an easy job to get it off ?

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
It’s not as easy as the later mechanisms mentioned in this thread, you will need to remove the unit from the car, access to the inside is via a number of screws on the back of the mechanism.

An alternative method is to flood the mechanism with aerosol spray grease through a number of water/condensation drain holes, again on the back side of the mechanism so you still have to remove it from the car.

Lever off the ball joint close the motor and grease that as well.
See… http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/W124BlowerMotor

Dec

4.6 gt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'91 124 estate 300,'02 mustang gt, transit connect
cheers, good link, will give it a whirl this weekend.

PuffinBilly

Reaction score
hi I'm a newbie and I had the sticking wiper arm issue on a long drive back from Wales in the most torrential rain. Fortunately I had "rainexed" the windscreen as I do on all my cars (can't praise this product enough) and limped from service station to service station trying to find some WD40 to see if that would get me home. However, on not being able to find any, I realised I had some engine oil in the boot and I used a plastic cable zip tie as a dropper, dotting oil on anything visible that moved. After a bit it freed up enough to leave it running and I continued dotting oil on and around the moving bits (my son thought it was hilarious watching me bob up and down in time with the arm, in the pouring rain in order to dot oil when the arm was at maximum extension).

This was about 3 months ago and the arm has worked perfectly since (touch wood), though I appreciate it's probably a relatively short term fix and I'd be best greasing everything (but hoping to wait until the spring)

On the question of blades, I always use the cheapo crap ones, but take the rubber out and throw the blade away, inserting the new rubber into the old carrier. I did this when I bought the car 4 months ago as the existing rubber was split. It was a doddle, but on some cars you might have to open the rubber clamp/guides up a little to accommodate the replacement. I've been doing this for years on all my cars and never had a problem, plus you get loads of plastic adaptor thingies for attaching the carrier to the arm in case the original one breaks. They don't last as long as good ones, but at around £2 a pair, I don't mind doing it once a year.

Thanks to the OP for this how to - I'll get on it when it gets warmer :)

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
I'd be best greasing everything (but hoping to wait until the spring)

Hi Billy, don’t wait until the spring, below is what can happen to the wiper motor gear box if you neglect to lubricate the sliding mechanism under the turtle shell cover. It’s a 5 minute job and should be done about twice a year.

Dec

attachment.php

flyingtech55

Reaction score
Website
www.bordersgliding.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320 (R170)
how to lubricate wiper mechanism

Unfortunately the advise given in this thread does not work if you have the type with the metal cover over the mechanism. How do you dismantle the all metal version?

TimR

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
http://w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20CD/W124/Index/MiscFiles/MonoWiperv2a.pdf

Disassembly is by removing screws on the rear of the mechanism after it has been removed from the car.

An alternative is to remove the mechanism from the car, on the rear of the wiper arm “hub” there are 4 drain holes…seen in picture 16, 17 and18 in above link… turn the mechanism upside down and empty the contents of an aerosol can of spray grease through one of the drain holes, flooding the inside of the mechanism, allow any excess grease to drain out and refit to car.

Dec

chopper_harris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 32, A124 E Cab
Aligning the wiper mechanism // bars

Folks

I have stripped and greased the wiper mech on '95 A124.

The rollers are quite loose in the parallel bars, maybe 1mm side to side.

Is there a defined process for resetting the bars to eliminate play and ensure the smooth operation ?

Chopps

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
It’s probably just wear, is there the same amount of gap when the centre arm is fully extended compared when the centre arm is retracted?
I presume the 4 screws that hold the guides are fixed and not adjustable?

Dec

chopper_harris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 32, A124 E Cab
Nope, fully adjustable +/- 2mm.

That's why I am looking for some guidance on the optimal side forces to apply through the guide rails to the rollers.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Never heard of any guidance, others may know more, as you say there is space, +/- 2mm to make adjustments so there might be guidance somewhere.

I would think Tight as opposed to Force when adjusting, the important thing is to ensure that both sides are centred, the centre shaft, where it goes through its bearing may have some wear from over the years, unlikely that bearing can be adjusted.

Dec

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom