How to set accurately the timing on a '84 2.0l petrol?

quenching

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 W201, 1996 W124
My '84 2.0 190E is just back from a service and the mechanic mentioned that setting the timing accurately is difficult as the fuel injection system (Bosch KE Jetronic?) is not self adjusting as in full electronic fuel injection systems and also can't be set using a strobe gun as in older systems, its a halfway house between the 2 systems that needs a particular Mercedes computer to set it, not the common laptop interface that can usually be used. He doesn't have one and was doubtful if any Mercedes dealerships would have them sitting around on the off chance that they might need it. Does anyone know the specifics of what he's talking about or is there another way of setting the timing on these early cars before the full electronic system was introduced?

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
AFAIK you can set the ignition timing by rotation of the distributor after its clamping bolt/s are slackened off. The timing marks are on the front crank pulley / vibration damper. Later cars -post 87ish-- use the electronic EZL type system where the advance curve is set electronically as your garage says. If your distributor has a vacuum advance and retard diaphragm unit then its the older system which can be adjusted. Details can be found the the 190 Haynes manual. http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/...ctId=12997&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10215 local library may have one?

Ultymate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K Estate 1998
Not sure whether the "K" Jetronic system is timed I think you may find it just sprays petrol continually into the inlet tracts outside the inlet valves

OP
Q

quenching

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 W201, 1996 W124
Thanks chaps, I keep meaning to get a Haynes manual for the car so this will be the best reason to get off the sofa and get one. The timing is indeed adjusted by rotating the distributer as grober says, and the mechanic has done this as best he can by ear, but he's a German and would like to do it by the correct method as described by Mercedes which apparently involves a specific piece of equipment - maybe not a computer as we'd recognise it today but remember this was 1984!

The car is running just fine but his comments made me curious about what was needed. And it is indeed K Jetronic and not JE Jetronic, thanks Ultymate for the correction, I'm always mixing those up.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom