Hunting/Surging on Idle

KathyG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2006
Hi everyone, I've got a Mercedes A180 2006 which has had a plethora of issues since purchase. Luckily, I have had these covered by warranty from the garage I bought it from else I'd be down the best part of £1,500 plus in repairs (bought it in April). Janis (after the lady Joplin) has had EGR valve and MAF failure due to being a potter about car, not conducive to a diesel but low mileage for age. Air con pump has just also been replaced. I've noticed that she is hunting/surging sometimes on Idle since the EGR valve was replaced. Her RPM varies at 70 mph as being sometimes under 2k (usually around 1700) though sometimes between 2-2.5). What is the normal RPM when at a steady 60/70mphr? Should she hold revs around 2-3 k or is just under 2k normal? There has been an error code come up for speed limiter/cruise control in the past but the garage simply cleared the codes until the EGR problem sent her into limp mode. MAF sensor was replaced then lumo mode, engine management light back on, then they replaced the EGR valve as it was completely choked up and failed. Like I said, I've noticed her hunting/Surging on Idle on and off since then. Though she still runs really well, eats hills and performs as you would expect for a 2 litre engine. She's got full, comprehensive service history. The guy (an engineer) who owned her beforehand, had her for a year then passed her on to a dealer. Before that, she had been with one lady ower since 6 months old. So far, since April she's had MAF, EGR and air con pump replaced plus rear discs and pads. Latest issue is sensors for disc pads, fronts I think but garage are saying its the sensor wires that need replacing, not the pads. Message reads as 'brake wear, visit workshop'. This flashes on and off, when brakes applied it disappears to reappear when off. Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Lord Bungle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 C220 Elegance Saloon
It could be the EGR valve hasn't seated back correctly when it was changed over.
I am not sure on the A180 but on one of my multitude of cars I had a similar problem as it had a plastic inlet manifold and one of the captive nuts was sitting slightly proud causing an air leak.

OP
K

KathyG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2006
It could be the EGR valve hasn't seated back correctly when it was changed over.
I am not sure on the A180 but on one of my multitude of cars I had a similar problem as it had a plastic inlet manifold and one of the captive nuts was sitting slightly proud causing an air leak.
Thanks very much, I'll get them to look at this :)

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom