Hybrid electric the future, not for me!

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Been looking at this video from Dan
I think at best this system is a stop gap to make manufacturers look "green" and a lot of money in maintenance and repairs. A simple sensor buried deep in the battery pack fails at 33K kms.
I listened to a talk from Gordon Murray and he was of the opinion that electric wasn't the way forward but a internal combustion engine using hydrogen was the way for power, economy and cost.
At the age where it won't bother me from the point of ownership but I'm beginning to think holding on to a petrol engine will do me.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
At the age where it won't bother me from the point of ownership but I'm beginning to think holding on to a petrol engine will do me.

Me too :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
No doubt Hydrogen is the future , the technology has existed for a long time but the oil companies and associated service and equipment providers have been ....let’s just say reluctant - meantime I’m enjoying my PHEV, it ticks so many boxes personally

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
And how many times will owners be told "you need a new battery pack" it won't take a charge.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
And how many times will owners be told "you need a new battery pack" it won't take a charge.

I'm interested to learn how the Government are going to recover the lost revenue from combustion engine fuel when electric cars start to occupy a substantial part of the car buyers market :eek:

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
I wonder what will happen to the National Grid when workers / commuters return home at 1800, ish and plug in 10 million cars ready for the next days journey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
A lot of toxic batteries to get rid of ... somehow.

OP
Oldspanners

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
A lot, the car in the video had it gone back to the dealer would have had a complete new battery pack because the dealer doesn't open them. At best depending on the make they may be offered a reconditioned pack.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I have read so little positive about Hybrid Electric, & mountains of negative comments. I agree hydrogen is the way to go, but the oil industry has a massive clout which is not helping.
Looking to change a 10 years old SLK. A pre April 2017 250d is very attractive, £30 road tax & 50+ mpg.

Last edited:

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
Before rushing off to support hydrogen to replace petrol/diesel, talk to somebody who works/has worked in the Dangerous Goods industry and learn about the hazards of storing hydrogen in comparison to petrol. The risks are so much higher that, at the moment, mass storage of hydrogen in retail sites, bulk storage and in accident prone vehicles is just impractical. Practically every road accident would result in a major fire and fatalities.

Count me out!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You don't need satellites.
All it needs is a transponder in the car that reports the vehicle mileage to a sensor by the road. Every month - invoice in the post based on the last transponder reading.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
It's not a plug in hybrid, and perhaps not as super efficient on paper as the new ones (and Toyota over designed it and made a loss on every one sold) but the drivetrain on the Mk1 prius has proven a lot more reliable and long lasting than the diesels/petrols of its era.

All the taxis here are either diesel Dacias (cheapest purchase price and OK economy) or Auris/Prius/avensis hybrid (there is no restriction on any form of emissions here so they are buying because it makes sense to own and not because it's subsidised). Some of those have 250k kms on them and the taxi drivers like them and say they're incredibly reliable and they haven't heard of battery failures. I'd happily have one if I did mainly city driving, but I wouldn't want something like an MB C300h with an already over complex and unreliable (compared to Toyota atleast) ancilliaries with the added benefit of a 20 mile battery pack chucked in the back as an afterthought with some complex electronics to mate it altogether...

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom