Hydraulic Fluid Bottle??

StuggyZX10

Reaction score
Hi can anyone tell me what the bottle is next to the two washer bottles on my 2000 300TD.(right hand side while standing in front of car) It states Hydraulic Fluid on the screw cap,and a min and max mark on it... when i looked in the handbook it has no mention of checking this for levels...but shows it in the diagram for checking the washer bottle levels...is it for the power steering ??...or for rear suspension...and what should it be topped up with if need be mine is between the two marks.....any info would be appreciated Thanks in advance.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This will be the power steering tank,,on some cars there was a tandem pump the served for the rear suspension as well

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Does the car have self levelling rear suspension?

Is there a reservoir on top of the power steering pump?

If yes to both questions, then, it's much more likely to be the tank for the self levelling suspension oil than the power steering. Check to see where the pipes go from the reservoir to be absolutely sure.

The oils you need are different, ZHM for the self levelling suspension, and power steering oil for the power steering.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does the car have self levelling rear suspension?

Is there a reservoir on top of the power steering pump?

If yes to both questions, then, it's much more likely to be the tank for the self levelling suspension oil than the power steering. Check to see where the pipes go from the reservoir to be absolutely sure.

The oils you need are different, ZHM for the self levelling suspension, and power steering oil for the power steering.

It is the same one as here

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
I didn't realise W210s used the same tank for PAS and SLS. That's not a feature I'm impressed by!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Same as the late 124 carshere

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Those tandem pumps on even late W124s definitely don't share the same fluid between SLS and PAS. The reservoir on top of the pump is for PAS, and there's another reservoir on the N/S inner wing for SLS.

I think the way that it is done on W124s with seperate tanks is much better, if I've understood the situation on W210s having one tank for both systems correctly. A failure in the PAS system filling the system with swarf can't contaminate the SLS when the systems are fully seperate.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom