I’ve made a decision

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
There is sense in your logic but I’ve always looked at a car as a whole rather than the person selling it, if the car is right then it doesn’t matter where it comes from
That’s indeed true but I know very little about all this new fangled stuff.
I can set points precisely or balance a pair of SUs with the best of them but today’s cars are waaaaay beyond my ken. Couple that with the fact that I usually buy a car with my heart not my head and you see my dilemma. I expect it would be prudent if I do buy from a private seller or non-franchise to get the car thoroughly inspected, but how easy is that to arrange?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Bear with me!
I’m thinking that buying Used from a franchised dealer is a wise decision, based on the following surmises.
Dealers get the best p/x cars because the owners are happy with the marque and just want a newer one.
Dealers keep the best cars to put on their forecourts and send the ones that aren’t quite as nice for auction or to their approved traders for disposal.

I know the prices are higher but you get, arguably, a “better” car, one that has been through the workshop and been reported as ok to sell by the mechanics.

or....am I talking bull-poo? :p

I don’t think you can guarantee franchised cars are the best on offer but 90% of them are with a known history and been inspected by their workshop but nowadays due diligence is essential on all purchases. My 212 was bought from a car dealer in Maidenhead mainly due to the spec but the BMW was through a franchised dealer which I felt much happier about mainly due to the knowledge that if anything was wrong they would honour the guarantee. One thing I have observed over the years is that a lot of well specced cars do go to auction this may be intentional by MB to keep the market happy so a lot of the franchised offerings were very basic spec, this may have improved now with the packages MB now offer

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I have bought 5 MB's in the last 20 years. The first next doors 2 year old CLK company car. Then a 18 month old SLK off ebay, it was only 10 miles away so I could view it first. Two part ex's for local MB dealers. Finally a 3 year old SLC from Arnold Clark.
Each car was what I was looking for at the time, & none caused any problems. I know the value of the car I am selling & the value of the car I want to buy, I have access to Glasses Guide. At the dealer I always talk about the price to change price.
MB dealerships were the hardest to get the best price, I had to walk out once to get the price. I was pleasantly surprised with Arnold Clark.

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Funnily enough I’ve just this second reserved a car with AC.
It’s not even arrived at the dealership yet so no links I’m afraid. the only compromise I’ve had to make is on the interior colour which is black, but I’ve consoled myself with the fact it’ll fare better if it gets dirty than cream!
It’s been spec’d with everything.
I’m paying the price with such a high spec but it’s 95% of what I want.

350D
Distronic
Active Blind Spot and lane keeping
Airmatic
360 degree camera
Sunroof
Canvasite Blue
Premium Plus
Active park assist
Active high beam assist
Real leather
Pack assist
Etc!

61DB5683-13B1-45D9-9C42-DE5FA5E3652C.jpeg

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Pleased you’ve found pretty much what you were looking for I really like Canvasite Blue you’ve been lucky time wise searching for the right car can go on quite a while. Hope it meets expectations in the flesh and drives well when you view.

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Well done, that man. We've put off our car shopping for a while, so that we can see how things turn out, financially. The S212 still feels good, when driven after a few weeks of lockdown.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Lovely colour for that car, looking forward to seeing it. I really do fancy one of those next

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I’ve been looking at the full spec today. it’s got over £6K plus VAT of extras :eek:

Driving assist £1912
Airmatic £958
Privacy glass £304
High gloss trim £208
360 camera £270
Premium plus £2662

Blimey! :cool:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’ve been looking at the full spec today. it’s got over £6K plus VAT of extras :eek:

Driving assist £1912
Airmatic £958
Privacy glass £304
High gloss trim £208
360 camera £270
Premium plus £2662

Could have been a dealer stock order originally which would account for the high level of options.
I calculated the same for my 911... £35K of options that the Guildford Porsche Dealer added before sticking it up on the plinth to catch a bankers bonus :cool: It was like shooting fish in a barrel for them as the train line goes right past the showroom :p

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010

Driving assist £1912
Airmatic £958
Privacy glass £304
High gloss trim £208
360 camera £270
Premium plus £2662

Shame about the Privacy Glass... :p

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
great looking car Stuart, well played! Must say AC do have the best range these days (although my first job would be to remove the tacky yellow dealer stickers right off!)...you'll love the 360 camera, they are brilliant. Great spec, and you're right on the seats in practicality terms

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
great looking car Stuart, well played! Must say AC do have the best range these days (although my first job would be to remove the tacky yellow dealer stickers right off!)...you'll love the 360 camera, they are brilliant. Great spec, and you're right on the seats in practicality terms
Agree about the stickers and camera(s) it's really useful in the carwash - you can see all the bodywork being cleaned :p:cool::D

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If only I had the amount of money required.
I'd probably have to sell the house to get that.
In 1960 my father was stationed in Paris at SHAPE headquarters. He was going to order a Mercedes 190D which you had to keep abroad for 12 months for tax free status. Unfortunately the waiting list had shot up to 8 months, so there was no guarantee he would have it abroad 12 months before importing it.
As a result he looked at three alternatives. 1 Peugeot 403, 2 Citroen DS21, 3 Borgward Isabella. He bought the Borgward, deciding it was a better car than the Peugeot. He was frightened off the Citroen by its complex suspension system, which turned out to be very reliable.

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Thanks John. I’ve already stated I don’t want stickers. The sales guy said that for Mercedes they use black ones but that didn’t convince me :D

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
In 1960 my father was stationed in Paris at SHAPE headquarters. He was going to order a Mercedes 190D which you had to keep abroad for 12 months for tax free status. Unfortunately the waiting list had shot up to 8 months, so there was no guarantee he would have it abroad 12 months before importing it.
As a result he looked at three alternatives. 1 Peugeot 403, 2 Citroen DS21, 3 Borgward Isabella. He bought the Borgward, deciding it was a better car than the Peugeot. He was frightened off the Citroen by its complex suspension system, which turned out to be very reliable.
Didn’t Borgward have something to do with the Auto Union which then morphed into Audi?

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Didn’t Borgward have something to do with the Auto Union which then morphed into Audi?
Having looked it up on Google Borgward were in a group with Hansa, Goliath, & Lloyd.
They went bump in 1961 controversy as Carl Borgward said they were solvent. He was proved correct after paying all the creditors there was cash left over. BMW who were also struggling at the time were strongly suspected of generating the rumours.

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I don’t think you can guarantee franchised cars are the best on offer but 90% of them are with a known history and been inspected by their workshop but nowadays due diligence is essential on all purchases. My 212 was bought from a car dealer in Maidenhead mainly due to the spec but the BMW was through a franchised dealer which I felt much happier about mainly due to the knowledge that if anything was wrong they would honour the guarantee. One thing I have observed over the years is that a lot of well specced cars do go to auction this may be intentional by MB to keep the market happy so a lot of the franchised offerings were very basic spec, this may have improved now with the packages MB now offer
I do feel happier about buying from a main dealer franchise. I’ve never spent north of £20K on anything before! :eek:
They are going to give it a B service and the 4 year service, make sure everything works as it should and change anything that is looking suspect so that will save me a few quid which I’m offsetting against the purchase price. If I’m not happy when I inspect it I can send it back. :rolleyes: As if!!!! ;)
As a lot of you will know from the 129 I am fussy and I’ve already warned them of it.

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Aviva won’t insure me! The car with me driving it doesn’t fit their business profile! :confused::oops:
Tesco, on the other hand, will insure me for £400

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Thanks John. I’ve already stated I don’t want stickers. The sales guy said that for Mercedes they use black ones but that didn’t convince me :D

Get them to de-badge it as well ;)

Top Bottom