I bet Craig says they're wrong ....

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
cars communicating with each other over ,for example headlights. no blxxxy thanks. imagine them going out at night at 50mph just as another car is approaching from a bend in the road more chips more electronics no blxxxy thanks they WILL go wrong. and that possibility is too damn dangerous, whats happened to keeping things SIMPLE and therefore reliable and even affordable. its just becoming rediculous .i have learnt a lot on here and in particular what to ensure i AVOID when considering replacement vehicles .regretably , a dacia duster becomes a more attractive proposition daily .

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Just how far do you need to ****** see ??

If you want/need to illuminate the road in front of you like a football stadium
you must have something wrong with your eyesight.

It all about cosmetics imho.

Nothing wrong in the way a standard H-(whatever) 50w works.

:cool:

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
;) As discussed many times before ....

RAC says new headlights 'blinding drivers' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43525525
How many of these blinding lights are caused by misted up lenses that spread the light in all directions causing general glare. Look around in daytime at most 10 year old cars and see the milky lenses.

It is about time the manufacturers started using a UV stable plastic for the front of the headlight or got back to making them detachable so that they could be replaced easily and cheaply. Once they go off cleaning them up only seems to last a month or so before they start to go again

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
How many of these blinding lights are caused by misted up lenses that spread the light in all directions causing general glare. Look around in daytime at most 10 year old cars and see the milky lenses.

It's not the 10 yr cars with milky headlamps that are the problem. It's the new cars with led lights that are causing problems.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
There are times I’d love to have a mirrored power shade on the rear window :) they’d soon dial down the lights......

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I tend to have more issues with HiD lights than a good LED system. There are a couple of cars I see regularly coming the opposite way on my daily commute. One is a Passat and the other an MB. Both have intelligent LEDs and they work incredibly well at keeping the glare out of the eyes.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
that's an interesting view, I would prefer to stare straight at a xenon all day long than have to suffer the LED blindness that leak out the sides of these new lights

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
On both the cars I mentioned I initially wondered how they saw where they were going there seemed so little light directed at me but then realised they had the moving black spot and it works really well.
HiDs on the other hand are far more powerful than LEDs and when not perfect are throwing light in all directions.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
that's an interesting view, I would prefer to stare straight at a xenon all day long than have to suffer the LED blindness that leak out the sides of these new lights
I wouldn’t. HiD lamps are pushing 3200lm, LED are under 2000 as they can get away without headlamp cleaners at that level.

I think you’re mistaking two different phenomena. An LED (in this example) emits a beam of white light of a very tightly controlled colour temperature. Within the beam pattern there are points at which it is brighter or less bright (usually 100% in a cone 90-120 degrees around the centroid of emission, falling to 50-60% from 120-140 degrees. Beyond this there is no light directly emitted.) but there are no points at which the light is not a uniform colour temperature of white. There is no “spectrum” effect. Now, this can be achieved through secondary optics (collimators) but these tend not to be used in automotive because reflectors are far cheaper and do just as good a job. So, most automotive LED headlamps don’t have the harsh blue zone you’re describing because they cannot emit it due to the laws of physics.

A HiD lamp emits light over quite a wide range of colour temperatures. The majority fall into the 5000K region but there’s plenty of luminous flux density down to 3000K and upto 10000K within the beam pattern. As well as this, by definition these lamps use secondary optics in their polyellipsoidal structure (posh name for projector) and that DOES allow for a spectral shift at the edges of the beam pattern. It shifts to blue for a band of a couple of degrees at the edges.

So, when you describe LED lamps giving you the “blue snipe” as I call it, 9 times out of 10 they’ll most likely be HiD lamps doing it.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

It is about time the manufacturers started using a UV stable plastic for the front of the headlight or got back to making them detachable so that they could be replaced easily and cheaply. Once they go off cleaning them up only seems to last a month or so before they start to go again

exactly that ! good tech ,my arxe ! stuff made to fail, simples ..as i keep harping on ,if its tech thats good enough to forget about it gets my vote ,if not, not interested as stated above how does a design that results in useless faded crazed plastic lights help ME AND WHY DOES THIS PLASTIC CRXP COST MORE

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
exactly that ! good tech ,my arxe ! stuff made to fail, simples ..as i keep harping on ,if its tech thats good enough to forget about it gets my vote ,if not, not interested as stated above how does a design that results in useless faded crazed plastic lights help ME AND WHY DOES THIS PLASTIC CRXP COST MORE

The plastic cr@p is lighter, stronger, cheaper and able to be made into much more stylish shapes than glass.

Unfortunately for an unpredictable % of headlamps made over a period of time from <around> 1995-2004- the first full design generation to hit mainstream OEMs- the susceptibility to ultraviolet blooming wasn’t fully appreciated. It looks like it’s a batch issue as it affects just about every model by every carmaker in that period in a highly sporadic fashion.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cars communicating with each other over ,for example headlights. no blxxxy thanks. imagine them going out at night at 50mph just as another car is approaching from a bend in the road more chips more electronics no blxxxy thanks they WILL go wrong. and that possibility is too damn dangerous, whats happened to keeping things SIMPLE and therefore reliable and even affordable. its just becoming rediculous .i have learnt a lot on here and in particular what to ensure i AVOID when considering replacement vehicles .regretably , a dacia duster becomes a more attractive proposition daily .

Failsafe is designed into it all. You can say the same about, oh, let’s say no physical connection between the brake pedal and the brake servo? Or between the joystick and ailerons?

Hello Chesney Sullenberger.

Dacia are owned by Renault, who have a very advanced vehicle connectivity program. So the new Disters will almost certainly follow this trend. As will everyone else.

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Failsafe is designed into it all. You can say the same about, oh, let’s say no physical connection between the brake pedal and the brake servo? .....

SBC brakes were a fantastic success ..... :rolleyes:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
funny enough I saw my parents today, they had been reading an article along the lines that the new LEDs fitted to the latest cars with be made illegal very soon

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SBC brakes were a fantastic success ..... :rolleyes:
That’s right. So fantastic the same basic system is still in use across the whole MB model range.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
funny enough I saw my parents today, they had been reading an article along the lines that the new LEDs fitted to the latest cars with be made illegal very soon
Please to reference the article? I’d be interested to read it.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I think its the new high K super white ones, that sensitive eyes dislike.
We have a few cars higher up the hill, with these.

When they come the other way (unlit country road) its as though someone blinded you with a really powerful searchlight.

Then again I want more light on mine to see ... so I just accept it. ;)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think its the new high K super white ones, that sensitive eyes dislike.
They're already catered for in UNECE regs. A light must be substantially white to pass the regs and in practice that means sub 6000k. Most manufacturers go for 5000K which is pretty close to what HiD are (certainly the legal ones at least).

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Failsafe is designed into it all. You can say the same about, oh, let’s say no physical connection between the brake pedal and the brake servo? Or between the joystick and ailerons?

Hello Chesney Sullenberger.

Dacia are owned by Renault, who have a very advanced vehicle connectivity program. So the new Disters will almost certainly follow this trend. As will everyone else.

and look what happens when sbc gives up .as i understand it . NO brakes.! i stand to be corrected? on the aviation front ,i do believe their failsafes are pretty good ,but remmbe quantas a380 a small lump of fan blade pretty much screwed everything electronic,electrical in one wing .

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom