I can't stop thinking about the R230 SL 500 - and now I want one!

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 Grand Edition 2011, ML350 Sport 2010, VW Splitscreen 1965
Personally I would nit pick to the nth degree on anything not as fully described. My old E Class was in really excellent condition and EVERYTHING as described, however, the seller had an AA inspection and picked me up on a tyre being close to the limit. It was at 4mm and I'd said excellent tyres all round, so I bit the bullet and fitted a part worn for £70 with 7mm. Sellers are glad to have a buyer, trust me. He won't want the hassle of re-selling if you walk away and whilst it's easy to get caught up in the moment and think "oh - that's only £80, this is only £150" etc it all mounts up, so you should go in being prepared to pick up anything not as described before you put in your offer.

Think about it this way, if the car needs £500 extra spending on it, or even £200 as it's not as described, why should you pay ? Would you walk up to someone in the street and give them £00's of your hard earned ?

YOU are in control in this situation, not the seller. As we've seen over the last 9 pages of this thread it's not the only SL out there :)

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Best way to test the engine mounts is to start the engine apply the brakes with your left foot, select drive and with your right foot press the throttle, if the engine trys to leap out of the engine bay the mounts are getting tired. ;)

The dealer we bought the car off said it was a trade in on a Maserati and sold to us without warranty (supposedly) He had it at 9k and I made the stupid offer and he said okay, that's when I started to ask the questions because I became suspicious that he excepted the low offer.
Anyway it turned out to be a 2 owner car, first was the CEO of an airline who had it until 2014, then a film company owned it for 6 months. (Apparently it was on Emmerdale, but only in the back ground). The car was also remapped while the film company had it, which gave it more 'spring' to drive. :D

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
................................YOU are in control in this situation, not the seller. As we've seen over the last 9 pages of this thread it's not the only SL out there :)

Your right JonnyCJ, there's always our one.............:D

John Tinsley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 240 AVANTGARDE cabriolet
Conor, look what you've made me do !!!
I joined this forum when I bought my CLK cab for a bit of fun. That was well over 2 years ago and I've loved it. I've spent that time looking for others and SL's on all the car sales sites. In all that time, I've seen mostly silver and black ones, but several shades of blue, gold and green.
I've never seen a Jasper blue one, which I think is a stunning colour. Having seen yours, lo and behold, two come at once.
The upshot is that I've bought this!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-24 at 19.08.37 copy.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-24 at 19.08.37 copy.png
    108 KB · Views: 32

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
SL prices are all over the place. Cheap ones are cheap for a reason so buyer beware, the trouble is the more expensive good ones are then looked upon as overpriced!

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Conor, look what you've made me do !!!
I joined this forum when I bought my CLK cab for a bit of fun. That was well over 2 years ago and I've loved it. I've spent that time looking for others and SL's on all the car sales sites. In all that time, I've seen mostly silver and black ones, but several shades of blue, gold and green.
I've never seen a Jasper blue one, which I think is a stunning colour. Having seen yours, lo and behold, two come at once.
The upshot is that I've bought this!!!

Ha John, that is beautiful, love the wheels!

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UPDATE UPDATE!!

I now own an SL 500! All checked out and I am happy with my purchase. Just in the door now and pretty wrecked.

Need to check a few things etc but also need sleep, so will catch you guys later with more news :D

Thanks for all yer help.. the R230 journey is only getting started ;)

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UPDATE UPDATE!!

I now own an SL 500! All checked out and I am happy with my purchase. Just in the door now and pretty wrecked.

Need to check a few things etc but also need sleep, so will catch you guys later with more news :D

Thanks for all yer help.. the R230 journey is only getting started ;)

All your worry over nothing :D

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Brilliant bedtime read from start to finish. Love a happy ending!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys,

Just had a time to sit down, relax and have a good look through the service history, which all appears in order.

One notable mention is that in August, 2016 (10k miles ago).. wait for it, the following work was done:

* Suspension systems check
* ABC Complete bleed/vent
* Power steering pump exchange
* ABC System check for leaks
* Add "3" of "Universal Oil"
* Cost £1600 - Ouch.

Looks like the ABC good a good seeing to in the not so distant past.. I don't think 2 years / 10k is that long ago, is it?

That bodes well.

Also, the suspension does sit high as others have pointed out, even at its lowest setting, hopefully STAR car sort that out.

Also
* Original first aid kit (Why do some have fire extinguishers instead of first aid)
* A Nokia phone in the cradle, 6310i
* A little rust around a couple of the arches - will look at tackling this, but might leave to a professional. I may/not want to test my limits.
* A little rust on a couple of the wheels, but wheels not in bad nick overall - I am looking forward to refurb'ing them.
* Also, also, also - The car has actually got the pano roof, with the blind, if that makes a different.
* Dust cover in the boot.

Last edited:
OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
how did he decide the NOX sensors were goosed if it passed its mot and there are no faults on the emissions system ?

Well, he scanned the car, and saw some NOx related codes, and concluded with that, as all I can guess. When I scanned the codes, I had a different conclusion - mainly because of the wording "upstream" instead of downstream. My understanding was that NOx sensors are downstream of exhaust, but the codes were talking about "upstream".

It has actually passed two MOTs since the Indy diagnosis. The first was calling his bluff, the second was once the air suspension was fixed.

This thread kind of recaps all that went on at the time: https://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/...ream-downstream-p0097-dt-title-change.173529/

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The power steering pump is also the ABC pump (it's a combined unit).
The flush through of the system is mandatory to prevent further issues (which is something some don't do if trying to cut corners/costs.
Since it was done 2 years ago an ABC fluid and filter change is now overdue (every 2 years is the interval).

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The power steering pump is also the ABC pump (it's a combined unit).
The flush through of the system is mandatory to prevent further issues (which is something some don't do if trying to cut corners/costs.
Since it was done 2 years ago an ABC fluid and filter change is now overdue (every 2 years is the interval).

Ok, ill add it to the list. Would you agree that the work two years ago is a good thing? I was quite relieved to see it but please correct me if I am wrong.

When you say the interval is 2 years, do you mean that's what's generally recommended? I believe MB don't officially state that, or do they? Either way, I will be doing it...

"Oil is cheap... Metal is expensive" :)

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 Grand Edition 2011, ML350 Sport 2010, VW Splitscreen 1965
Pano roof is great - loved mine. Rust will probably cost you around £200 - £250 a corner, but get it done properly. Bear in mind the rust may well be on the inside of the lip as well, so make sure that’s sealed after the rust is treated.

What are we going to talk about now ?

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pano roof is great - loved mine. Rust will probably cost you around £200 - £250 a corner, but get it done properly. Bear in mind the rust may well be on the inside of the lip as well, so make sure that’s sealed after the rust is treated.

What are we going to talk about now ?

Ok fair enough. I'll be looking at getting this done properly alright.

Just noticed there are Pirelli PZero all around with a lot of tread left :)

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom