I don't understand tyres...

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
This thread has been very informative actually. My wife curbed my rear alloy the other day and caused some damage to the tyre. When I looked into replacing it, that was the only time I realised that I had different tyre sizes front/back.
Call me ignorant but when I came to buying my car, it wasnt something I had ever come across so I never even paid any attention.
From what I have read here though, would I be right in saying if I were to buy a totally new set of alloys then there would be no problems having the same size on all corners?
I am not planning on changing the alloys just because of the whole wider rears debate. I had planned to do this anyway and based on the info I have read here, it seems that I will hardly notice any difference and my future tyres will be cheaper.
Thanks in advance

As long as you stick to what MB recommends for the model insurers shouldn't be concerned. Just make sure you tell them you car could have been spec'd from the factory as you're proposing and do inform them before you shell out, just in case you need to look for a different insurer!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
99% never tell their insurer that new wheels have been fitted, as they are not interested in the main, and as said keep to real mercedes wheels and you are just fine, the wheels on most cars when sold were options anyway.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I'd say many don't tell their insurer simply because they don't realise they should. As far as the insurer being interested of course they're not, until you try and claim. Even if you do inform them they may well say no change to you premium. I would always urge one gets that confirmed in writing, documented on one's policy.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To be truthful on this I have never ever heard of any insurer not paying out as the wheels have been changed, ever.

Just think about it,, no one knows anything about the wheels fitted to cars sold secondhand, and the buyer probably would never know

There is no warning message telling people to tell their insurer in the MB wheel books or anywhere else come to that.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Agreed^. When buying used, how do you know what was standard. The insurer asks about modifications...most people wouldn't know...even some car nuts like us, as has been shown on this very thread...don't know about staggered set ups.

Last edited:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The "warning" as you phrase it will be in the insurer's terms and conditions. Every one I have ever read will require one to declare all modifications, ignorance is no defence. One cannot simply say "I didn't know"
Why would MB involve itself in your responsibilities to your insurer? A legal minefield ...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The "warning" as you phrase it will be in the insurer's terms and conditions. Every one I have ever read will require one to declare all modifications, ignorance is no defence. One cannot simply say "I didn't know"
Why would MB involve itself in your responsibilities to your insurer? A legal minefield ...

If I was not a member here and bought a second hand mercedes I probably would not have a clue about the wheels fitted and if they were original or not, that is my point. 99% of buyers would never know if the wheels were standard or not.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
If I was not a member here and bought a second hand mercedes I probably would not have a clue about the wheels fitted and if they were original or not, that is my point. 99% of buyers would never know if the wheels were standard or not.

And thankfully the large majority will never test the argument as they will not need to claim on their insurance.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And thankfully the large majority will never test the argument as they will not need to claim on their insurance.

I have never heard anywhere where this has taken place :D:D

hotrodder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 320te, '54 ragtop beetle (in bits)
Insurance companies can't void a policy after the fact, they're legally bound by the road traffic act to honour the 3rd party aspect
They can obviously come after you through the courts to recover their losses but they're not gonna for something piddly... a case involving fronting would probably make it simple for them to bankrupt you as it's such a clear cut case of fraud. While ignorance is no defence a different set of wheels/some stick on AMG tat that didn't contribute to the accident is much tougher to win and the prize won't be as high...
If the above wheels/stick on tat got trashed in the accident then unsuprisingly they won't be replacing them for you in the same way that a total loss without a valid MOT won't void the policy (MOT and roadworthyness are two different things) but it will effect your payout as no MOT = car is worth less. Any or all of the above scenarios might make it harder/more expensive to get insurance in the future...

If you declare changes part way through a policy many (all?) insurance companies will take the oppurtunity to charge a ludicrous admin fee as they told you about this when you took out the policy.
If there's no modifications to declare the answer to their question is "not to my knowledge"

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Insurance companies can't void a policy after the fact, they're legally bound by the road traffic act to honour the 3rd party aspect
They can obviously come after you through the courts to recover their losses but they're not gonna for something piddly... a case involving fronting would probably make it simple for them to bankrupt you as it's such a clear cut case of fraud. While ignorance is no defence a different set of wheels/some stick on AMG tat that didn't contribute to the accident is much tougher to win and the prize won't be as high...
If the above wheels/stick on tat got trashed in the accident then unsuprisingly they won't be replacing them for you in the same way that a total loss without a valid MOT won't void the policy (MOT and roadworthyness are two different things) but it will effect your payout as no MOT = car is worth less. Any or all of the above scenarios might make it harder/more expensive to get insurance in the future...

If you declare changes part way through a policy many (all?) insurance companies will take the oppurtunity to charge a ludicrous admin fee as they told you about this when you took out the policy.
If there's no modifications to declare the answer to their question is "not to my knowledge"

No MOT does not invalidate the insurance

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Certainly not for me, as I have always declared any modification to my cars

You are missing the point in that 99% of motorist out there would not know otherwise

And in all fairness you ask your insurance company if you are allowed to alter the pressure by 0.003 of a bar

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Come on Peter, do pay attention! :rolleyes: :)

Paying attention, Sir!!
bb.gif
Hu! Hu! Hu!

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom