I have a disease!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Indeed. Luckily the dining experience at Peet's a couple of doors down made up for the hotel's shabbiness.

Superb food!
The Inver lodge is better than it looks...
Did you get near Kylesku? Tried to figure your route from your references ...

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Route, roughly from memory - I have enjoyed a delicious Portuguese red and a Coteaux de Layon dessert wine-

1. Bridge hotel, Buttermere, ate in their restaurant, fine dining, vg, rioja
2. Inverness, travel lodge :-(, Bella Italia, distinctly average. Montepulciano
3. John o groats through to the Weigh inn, somewhere. Lovely fish restaurant on the sea front, vg, Marlborough Sauvignon blanc
4. lochinver Colditz, Peet's, superb food. Winelist needs work. Chilean merlot
5. Caledonian hotel, Ullapool, restaurant called the Arch. 2010 Rioja, vvg.
6. Isle of Skye, Portree, posh hotel, name eludes me, ate in their restaurant, steaks good at the second try. Argentinian Malbec
7. Mallaig, Seaview guest house. The restaurant... Top of the hill, bar with great food, Chlachain inn, Really good! Winelist needs some work. I have volunteered my services on that... After a dig around we found a lonely 2011 reserva Marquès de la Concordia lurking at the back of a shelf. Turned out to be superb. Unfortunately wasted a glass on the waitress. At least we educated her somewhat...
8. Inverary, the George hotel. Been here before, very nice. Good winelist, except my first two choices, vaqueras and gigondas sold out! Portuguese red was a suitable substitute luckily!
Home tomorrow. Boo. We have been soooo lucky with the weather - first rain today.

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Route, roughly from memory - I have enjoyed a delicious Portuguese red and a Coteaux de Layon dessert wine-

2. Inverness, travel lodge :-(, Bella Italia, distinctly average. Montepulciano
3. John o groats through to the Weigh inn, somewhere. Lovely fish restaurant on the sea front, vg, Marlborough Sauvignon blanc
4. lochinver Colditz, Peet's, superb food. Winelist needs work. Chilean merlot
5. Caledonian hotel, Ullapool, restaurant called the Arch. 2010 Rioja, vvg.
6. Isle of Skye, Portree, posh hotel, name eludes me, ate in their restaurant, steaks good at the second try. Argentinian Malbec
7. Mallaig, Seaview guest house. The restaurant... Top of the hill, bar with great food, Chlachain inn, Really good! Winelist needs some work. I have volunteered my services on that... After a dig around we found a lonely 2011 reserva Marquès de la Concordia lurking at the back of a shelf. Turned out to be superb. Unfortunately wasted a glass on the waitress. At least we educated her somewhat...
8. Inverary, the George hotel. Been here before, very nice. Good winelist, except my first two choices, vaqueras and gigondas sold out! Portuguese red was a suitable substitute luckily!
Home tomorrow. Boo. We have been soooo lucky with the weather - first rain today.
Glad you enjoyed, fantastic up there...suspect 6 was the Cuillens- enjoyed that many times :)

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Oh dear, oh dear...

A friend is contemplating selling his w108. I would dearly love this beautiful car, but I don't think I can possibly manage another. What to do.....

image.jpg

Stunning machine.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Oh dear, oh dear...

A friend is contemplating selling his w108. I would dearly love this beautiful car, but I don't think I can possibly manage another. What to do.....

image.jpg

Stunning machine.

How much????

:)

Last edited:

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
I had a lovely 108 years ago, I think it would have to be a v8 for me to get another now though

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Presume the 13,800 miles is incorrect?

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Oh dear, oh dear...

image.jpg

Stunning machine.
Can't see what your problem is....?

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
If I had the space I'd love a W108 but, as Rob says above, I think it would have to be a V8.

Glad I don't have space at the moment. :)

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Oh dear, oh dear...

image.jpg

Stunning machine.

That's stunning, make good race cars too ;)........Oh and the 280 6 is quicker than the 280 8 :D

Glynn350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet 2012

What did you think of The Bridge? I loved my couple of nights there a few years ago, will definitely go again. I lose count of how many times I've been to Buttermere though, my favourite place in the lakes.

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
What did you think of The Bridge? I loved my couple of nights there a few years ago, will definitely go again. I lose count of how many times I've been to Buttermere though, my favourite place in the lakes.

I've stayed there every year for the past eighteen years, so I must like it! We used to stay in the hotel, but now we have children the apartments are brilliant. I stayed there three times last year, but only twice this year, so far...
Attilla greets me with his usual distain!

Glynn350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet 2012
Wow! You're right you must!
It is a special place, I'm not sure I've ever felt as relaxed as sitting in the sitting room adjacent to the dining room with a glass of wine after a 5 course meal.

You've reminded me how good it is, as soon as I'm back from my France trip I'm booking a weekend there!

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Wow! You're right you must!
It is a special place, I'm not sure I've ever felt as relaxed as sitting in the sitting room adjacent to the dining room with a glass of wine after a 5 course meal.

You've reminded me how good it is, as soon as I'm back from my France trip I'm booking a weekend there!

The lounge is lovely, but I can't decide whether I like that the best, or flopping into a comfy chair in the bar with a cold pint of Guinness after a full day of climbing mountains. Buttermere is such a brilliant place. My favourite place in this country for sure. I'll never tire of it.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Nice route and well told story. Heh heh, if that's a disease, pass me some germs!
- And that W108 is absolutely gorgeous.

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Nice route and well told story. Heh heh, if that's a disease, pass me some germs!
- And that W108 is absolutely gorgeous.

The Scotland trip was absolutely superb, and I'm already thinking about doing it again. We covered almost 2300 miles all told by the time we were back in leafy Sussex. The C63 was a superb choice of wheels!

I loaned the C63 to a pal the other day for his daughter's wedding. He needed something flash to transport the bridesmaids to the church. It fitted the bill perfectly, and even made the bridesmaids scream! Unfortunately he now wants to buy the car from me. If that happens I might have to buy that w108...

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom