I have a question!

robert_winter_1000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB E350 CDI (W212)
Hello all,

I had a W124 300D with automatic Transmission. Directly, after pushing the break pedal slightly I could shift the handle from P to D. Now I am having a W211 E320 CDI, I must push the break pedal thoroughly (2-3) time hearing a pump (sound like a vacumpump?) mooing then I can shift from P to D easily. If I don’t do this then I face a resistance of the stick moving from P to D. This happened every time I put the stick on P and off the engine.

Is this a characteristic of this car? Or it is some thing wrong I must let it repaired. The car is still under the warranty!

Thanks & regards,

Robert

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The gear shift should move without touching the brake pedal on any car, so you do have a fault,,the humming noise on a 211 will be the SBC pump running, some how it looks like a CAN fault,,do you have the 7g box

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Have driven a few of the 211s and shift is smooth and immediate as soon as the brake pedal is pressed..same as my own 220 Sclass.. would suggest you take it back and complain....well ask questions at least..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes it will have to go back Robert,, there have been many updates to the programming on this box,,but I have never heard of your fault before

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
The gear shift should move without touching the brake pedal on any car, so you do have a fault,,the humming noise on a 211 will be the SBC pump running, some how it looks like a CAN fault,,do you have the 7g box

I think malcolm he is referring here to getting the box out of Park...

Possible the SBC pump is playing up...???

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK I did get it wrong,, there have been many post recently where the EIS ignition switches are taking time to activate the wake up,, the car will still have to go onto STAR to see if it is an EIS fault or gear shift module fault,,I have WIS running and I will see if the brake light switch affects this model, as on the earlier cars when this happens it kills the CAN signal.

give me a few mins

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK there are recorded things for the gearshift,,and though not probably the shift module, the braking torque of the ESP module could do it,, The brake light switch does not apply to this car.
It could also be just adjustment of the lock cable,, this all there is,,so it does have to go on STAR

OP
R

robert_winter_1000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB E350 CDI (W212)
OK there are recorded things for the gearshift,,and though not probably the shift module, the braking torque of the ESP module could do it,, The brake light switch does not apply to this car.
It could also be just adjustment of the lock cable,, this all there is,,so it does have to go on STAR

Malcolm, Many thanks for your advice. Soon the car has to go for service. I will put this point on the list!

Robert

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Not sure I'd wait.
The basic problem is that the shift release is sticking. It should release immediately you touch the brake pedal just as it did on your previous one. I noticed no difference in the function of this lock between a 202,210 and 211. As it doesn't release immediately there is a fault, and sods law decrees that it will stick/fail completely just when you are in a rush and really need the car - probably midnight on a freezing garage forecourt when you've got an early start or on the way to the airport!. Its a simple minor fault that can effectively immobilise the whole car so I wouldn't risk living with it.

Top Bottom