I just got roasted for insurance..big time.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Government need to clamp down on the compo claims in the south first Conor as this is helping insurers rob the general public. thought it was scandalous to see insurance companies double or triple insurance premiums for creches as one example forcing a lot to not reopen come sept.
By ignoring the compo culture Kev55, they are complicit in it. Too many pigs feeding at the trough.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Cant argue with you there Jim2, so much for voting for change few months back when I see the way things are going over last month. Communist China would be proud looking at Irish politics. reminds me a bit of Putin and Medvedev(had to look his name up) circulating power to keep the cronies all propped up :)

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Over the past 10 years I started to get informed on the world of politics etc.. Now at 32, I genuinely wonder what the point is....

I do use my vote every time but its always a challenge to know who to vote for. They are all as bad as each other.

I remember Alan Sugar put it quite simply before... He basically said public companies get raked over the coals if they like to the market, but politicians can say and do what they like to get elected.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Over the past 10 years I started to get informed on the world of politics etc.. Now at 32, I genuinely wonder what the point is....

I do use my vote every time but its always a challenge to know who to vote for. They are all as bad as each other.

I remember Alan Sugar put it quite simply before... He basically said public companies get raked over the coals if they like to the market, but politicians can say and do what they like to get elected.

There is a point and they aren't all as bad as each other, don't forget the mainstream media loves to dig for problems.

The main news stories this week included lies about something one said to manufacture conflict,Michael Gove has said HE THOUGHT face masks should not be mandatory in shops in England adding he 'trusts people's good sense' during an interview on BBC One's The Andrew Marr Show on Sunday when asked his opinion.

This reply went through a transformation into government policy within minutes.

So we end up with politicians spouting learned soundbites.

The divisive Trump has railed back on this practice and christened it along with other drivel as "fake news" he is right.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
NCD is a right scam.
You have one car and 9 years NCD.
You buy a second car. You can't use your 9 years as that's used on car #1. So you start from zero again (some insurers will now allow carrying NCD over to another vehicle).
5 years on you have an accident thats your fault in car #2 which then affects the policy on car #1!

All stacked against us...500 +bhp sl600 fully comp .no claim. 186.
2013 ml250 200bhp 389 fully comp. So its costing me 200 more for 300 bhp less !! Quoted 308 by mustard this yr. Its on sorn at mo until I next go to uk,winter for mot.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
All stacked against us...500 +bhp sl600 fully comp .no claim. 186.
2013 ml250 200bhp 389 fully comp. So its costing me 200 more for 300 bhp less !! Quoted 308 by mustard this yr. Its on sorn at mo until I next go to uk,winter for mot.
My SLK280 is ~£100 per year more to insure than the 911...o_O
I guess there must be more claims on an SLK280 than on a 911

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Maybe. I think it's a modern fiddle myself. I have not claimed since 79!, but every yr I have to change as it's now the business model to try to screw us on 2nd yr and hope we don't check around. hastings quoted 460 as ml renewal and mustard came in at less, by near 80 quid than last yrs hastings premium. I mailed hastings and they were not interested in matching.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
The divisive Trump has railed back on this practice and christened it along with other drivel as "fake news" he is right.

Denigrating mainstream media has done terrible damage in America. The easily-led have swallowed it hook, line & sinker and now believe that Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are genuine sources of information. There's a constituency for this drivel even in our own country, God help us all.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Denigrating mainstream media has done terrible damage in America. The easily-led have swallowed it hook, line & sinker and now believe that Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are genuine sources of information. There's a constituency for this drivel even in our own country, God help us all.

The mainstream media is the author of their own misfortune, they took to comment rather than reporting probably to fill up 24 hours news cycles.
They became hooked on the process and now even the beeb has a lot of its news programmes filled with opinions and prognostications.

Trump has mined a very prominent seam of misinformation to his benefit as often his words are misreported by those who have appointed themselves agents of opposition after their darling the odious Hillary Clinton was defeated by the divisive upstart.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Trump has mined a very prominent seam of misinformation to his benefit as often his words are misreported .

Trumps difficulties arise when he is faithfully reported verbatim. He is surely the least articulate President ever to have held the office, certainly in my lifetime. He dislikes the media because it reports his words & actions. Scrutiny is his enemy. His repetition of the phrase,'Fake News' is a jingoistic slur intended to tell his followers that he is the only source of truth. Sadly, many believe him.

IMG_2165.jpg

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Trumps difficulties arise when he is faithfully reported verbatim. He is surely the least articulate President ever to have held the office, certainly in my lifetime. He dislikes the media because it reports his words & actions. Scrutiny is his enemy. His repetition of the phrase,'Fake News' is a jingoistic slur intended to tell his followers that he is the only source of truth. Sadly, many believe him.

View attachment 61223

Your point is what ?

America put restrictors in just about every water outlet they could and people just took them out including me.

He does speak in a manner more suited to a dyslexic rap artist but the misreporting of him was an open goal for his team and the "fake news" comments exploded.

Personally I think I would get the urge to punch him in the same room but the medias dislike of him has led to their standards falling and gives him momentum he doesn't deserve.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I'm not attempting to restart a politics thread...

Yesterday morning on the Jeremy Vine show on Ch-5 they were talking about Trump and his two studio guests slagged him off but when asked if he would get re-elected they both said "yes".
- Hmm... I wonder...?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
MrsLK had her renewal for her Mini this week.
Nearly doubled in price.
Onto the comparison sites and same policy from same company almost the same as she had been paying. Quick call to them and no joy - they offered £30 discount on the renewal (less than 1/6th of the increase!).
She moved to another company which was £20 per year less than she had been paying.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Nearly doubled in price.
Onto the comparison sites and same policy from same company almost the same as she had been paying. Quick call to them and no joy - they offered £30 discount on the renewal (less than 1/6th of the increase!).
She moved to another company which was £20 per year less than she had been paying.

Madness.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It really is about time that some rules were defined and enforced to stop ins companies behaving like this.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
It really is about time that some rules were defined and enforced to stop ins companies behaving like this.

The rules have been clearly defined for quite some time now;

1. Never, under any circumstances whatsoever, expect a Service Provider of any and all categories e.g. Insurance, Utilities, Telephony, Internet, TV, Games etc. To provide a competitive renewal quotation towards the completion of any existing contract.

2. Always procure at least three alternative quotations to replace the current service 1 Month prior to the end of the Service term.
Even if you receive a renewal cost from your current provider below the value of the current annual premium, how do you know you can’t better that estimate with another provider unless you ask?, I noticed this Year’s rounds of renewals that 3 policies advised of renewal quotations over 4 weeks from completion with statements of “Unless we hear from you to the contrary, we will automatically renew your existing policy” What :eek::eek::eek: ?

Q, Do I recall ticking the ‘Do you want us to retain your payment details for future reference?’
A, No, not a tick box any more it’s now an assumption that we do in the small print!

It’s a constant battle that has been evolving for as long as I can remember and complacency is your worst enemy, you should simply treat every renewal as you do when buying replacement parts for your cars, your complacency is what the majority of these Service Providers are counting on.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Nearly doubled in price.
Would you care to name and shame the company concerned?

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OMG... I can await my renewals with trepidation- thanks, LK
They are all c***s.
Too polite... What you mention has some purpose while insurance cos and agents are only opportunity grabbers.

Top Bottom