I just got roasted for insurance..big time.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
There are two attachments in your post:-
2010 S212 E 350 CGI 3.5ltr V6 Petrol // Tanzanite Blue Metallic // Beige leather // -> Pics Here <-
2004 R230 SL 500 5.0ltr V8 Petrol // Jasper Blue Metallic // Beige leather // -> Pics Here <-

And as I commented, two lovelt cars.. :D

Oh, I see.. they are my sig and in all posts.. I was just wondering.

Thank you :)

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Oh, I see.. they are my sig and in all posts.. I was just wondering.

Thank you :)
Yes Conor. They're part of your profile I'd say. Very nice cars though.

Donald McPherson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180 komp elegance se a 2005
I am considering buying another cheap
Mercedes and went into the comp to check on Insurance quotes and was pleasantly surprised.

HH03 TEC
2007 MERCEDES-BENZ CLS 320 CDI COUPE, 2987CC Diesel, 4DR, Automatic
Voluntary excess
£500
Cover type
Comprehensive
Edit
Your lowest annual price

£198.70

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am considering buying another cheap
Mercedes and went into the comp to check on Insurance quotes and was pleasantly surprised.

HH03 TEC
2007 MERCEDES-BENZ CLS 320 CDI COUPE, 2987CC Diesel, 4DR, Automatic
Voluntary excess
£500
Cover type
Comprehensive
Edit
Your lowest annual price

£198.70

Lowest annual price £198.70,,,,,,,fully comprehensive :shock:.....I was in reasonable good humour until I read your your post, but then it brought MY quote to mind......2014 Eclass,220...€630 !!! And now, the black cloud is back.:mad::mad::mad:

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Lowest annual price £198.70,,,,,,,fully comprehensive :shock:.....I was in reasonable good humour until I read your your post, but then it brought MY quote to mind......2014 Eclass,220...€630 !!! And now, the black cloud is back.:mad::mad::mad:
I can understand your anger friend:(

Donald McPherson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Could be one of the benefits of living on the outskirts of Aberdeen. And of course I'm an old bugger. Well 65.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just insured my rav4 today for the remainder of the winter as a second runabout. I didn't realize claiming for lost keys on my van insurance could have consequences for the rav4 insurance. Some companies wouldn't let me do online insurance unusually for a change and kept quoting I had to ring them. The AA was how I caught it on as they told me in an online quote I had an open insurance claim and automatically added around£100 to the quoted first price. I found Swinton quoted me fairly at £199.00 and didn't mention the claim so I went with them. My Aviva van insurance waived the £350 excess for the claim for the lost Vito keys so thats why i went ahead with the claim. I have never claimed off my insurance or been involved in any type of accident which required an insurance claim in over 30 years and now I get penalised for a totally separate policy?:mad:

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just insured my rav4 today for the remainder of the winter as a second runabout. I didn't realize claiming for lost keys on my van insurance could have consequences for the rav4 insurance. Some companies wouldn't let me do online insurance unusually for a change and kept quoting I had to ring them. The AA was how I caught it on as they told me in an online quote I had an open insurance claim and automatically added around£100 to the quoted first price. I found Swinton quoted me fairly at £199.00 and didn't mention the claim so I went with them. My Aviva van insurance waived the £350 excess for the claim for the lost Vito keys so thats why i went ahead with the claim. I have never claimed off my insurance or been involved in any type of accident which required an insurance claim in over 30 years and now I get penalised for a totally separate policy?:mad:
As I have said before..legalised banditry . Its compulsary to have it, but God help you if you need it. Family friend was riding his motor bike when a neighbours dog ran out on to the road straight in front of him and he hit the dog. Was unavoidable, he went head over heels off the bike and onto the road. The dog was killed, and for a good while he himself walked a tightrope between life / death or brain damage. Luckily, he pulled through, and is making a good recovery. No more bikes for him, so he bought a car, and then the trouble started,he had NCB from previous car ownership, but whe he went to activate it again...problem. He was told that as there was an unresolved "incident" in his file, he was quoted mega buck's. So now he is trying to get it "Resolved".

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not over yet, just got an email today from Swinton wanting me to contact them as they require more information?:(

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not over yet, just got an email today from Swinton wanting me to contact them as they require more information?:(

Oh!!! Not good.............:confused:

Donald McPherson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As I have said before..legalised banditry . Its compulsary to have it, but God help you if you need it. Family friend was riding his motor bike when a neighbours dog ran out on to the road straight in front of him and he hit the dog. Was unavoidable, he went head over heels off the bike and onto the road. The dog was killed, and for a good while he himself walked a tightrope between life / death or brain damage. Luckily, he pulled through, and is making a good recovery. No more bikes for him, so he bought a car, and then the trouble started,he had NCB from previous car ownership, but whe he went to activate it again...problem. He was told that as there was an unresolved "incident" in his file, he was quoted mega buck's. So now he is trying to get it "Resolved".

So when you buy a second car you have to start off with no claims bonus which would mean it's the car that's being insured. But if you have a bump in the second car it affects the driver of both cars. How does that work?

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So when you buy a second car you have to start off with no claims bonus which would mean it's the car that's being insured. But if you have a bump in the second car it affects the driver of both cars. How does that work?
I'm not sure about Donalds particular case, but in my own experience when I bought a 2nd car, my first policy on it cost €320 as they gave me credit for my previous NCB of 30 odd years with the first car. Fast forward to year Nr 2 with the 2nd car, quote came in at €1175,,,,,,because, I had only 1 years driving NCB with it. Here in Ireland, this is a common story with insurance companys.....legalized banditry.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I phoned Swinton yesterday but got nowhere as girl on other end of phone hung up before I could get an answer as to whether they were going to honour the insurance and if it was going to cost me extra:rolleyes:. Issue has arisen because I have an open claim on my van insurance regarding lost keys. I only wish I had insured the Rav4 a week earlier before the claim was lodged and became a problem. Just interestingly I had same issue regarding car insurance and NCB as well Jim. I had a car a few years back but had to start from scratch on NCB as it had lapsed according to insurance due to driving on van insurance this last few years. I have the rav4 insured now most of the year whether I drive it or not just to keep them from cancelling my NCB. I was told by one insurance company that if I let my car insurance lapse by just one year they would reset my NCB to zero:( Gangsters or what?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I phoned Swinton yesterday but got nowhere as girl on other end of phone hung up before I could get an answer as to whether they were going to honour the insurance and if it was going to cost me extra:rolleyes:. Issue has arisen because I have an open claim on my van insurance regarding lost keys. I only wish I had insured the Rav4 a week earlier before the claim was lodged and became a problem. Just interestingly I had same issue regarding car insurance and NCB as well Jim. I had a car a few years back but had to start from scratch on NCB as it had lapsed according to insurance due to driving on van insurance this last few years. I have the rav4 insured now most of the year whether I drive it or not just to keep them from cancelling my NCB. I was told by one insurance company that if I let my car insurance lapse by just one year they would reset my NCB to zero:( Gangsters or what?
NCB will last 2 before it resets. I’ve left it nearly 2 years on a couple of policies and not had an issue with the NCB not being accepted

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Pro tip on NCB. I added my SL to E Class multi when only a few months to go.

I ended up with a separate cert and clean 1 year NCB on the SL.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
NCB will last 2 before it resets. I’ve left it nearly 2 years on a couple of policies and not had an issue with the NCB not being accepted
Thanks Blobcat, I know one company said a year and a later one said two years so good to know first one was wrong

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This would be in the UK Blobcat???

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pro tip on NCB. I added my SL to E Class multi when only a few months to go.

I ended up with a separate cert and clean 1 year NCB on the SL.

Here Conor, I dont think that you can have 2 vehicles on the same policy ( Unless its a Garage Insurance, ) I know that at one time, I had two cars in my own name, and each with its own policy. But at the first renewal I was told this was not allowed. One car, one owner and one insurance. But in Ireland, the Insurance Companys write their own rules ...

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Just got a quote from Confused for the E350Cdi & SLC250d, both due in 4 weeks.
£220 for the E class & £250 for the SLC, including business cover on both.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom