I just got roasted for insurance..big time.

JimmyTheJock

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK/2007/1800cc
Just been looking at renewal quotes for my SLK and prices certainly have come down since last year.
Best offer so far is £134 for fully comprehensive with a £250 excess based on a typical 2,000 miles p.a.
OK the car is not worth a lot after 14 years but that's probably the least I've been quoted in all that time.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
My Insurance has just come up for renewal so I rang Tesco who I have been with for the last four years to discuss the renewal premium. Bearing in mind I havn't made an own fault insurance claim ever they wanted me to make a new proposal as the existing underwriter didn't want to renew the policy. After having made out the new proposal they came back with a figure of over £100 more for the same coverage. o_O

So back to the comparison sites. Did two, Comparethemarket and Moneysupermarket. Both came up with the same insurer, LVE, but at different prices. Comparethemarket cheapest by £7.00. On top of that I added an additional driver, my daughters partner, and it was £4.00 cheaper again !!. Work that one out if you can !! :rolleyes:

Going back to LVE through Comparethemarket :D

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
My insurance is due for renewal in 24 days so I am just about to start my annual check of the comparison sites, with maybe one or 2 others that dont appear on them.
By all accounts car insurance has came down right now due to fewer claims being made during lockdown...but we will see. :p

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
My insurance is due for renewal in 24 days so I am just about to start my annual check of the comparison sites, with maybe one or 2 others that dont appear on them.
By all accounts car insurance has came down right now due to fewer claims being made during lockdown...but we will see. :p

I didn't find that to be the case at all Ron. When I spoke to Tesco I did ask that question about Lock Down and the fact that there has been a crack down on Whip Lash bogus claims but didn't get a satisfactory answer at all. Not going to Tesco's this time around :rolleyes:

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I didn't find that to be the case at all Ron. When I spoke to Tesco I did ask that question about Lock Down and the fact that there has been a crack down on Whip Lash bogus claims but didn't get a satisfactory answer at all. Not going to Tesco's this time around :rolleyes:
I am planning to check over the next 2 or 3 days so will report back my findings then.
I am currently with Admiral which is my first time ever using them so would prefer to have their renewal quote to hand for comparison, but I haven't received it yet.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
My Insurance has just come up for renewal so I rang Tesco who I have been with for the last four years to discuss the renewal premium. Bearing in mind I havn't made an own fault insurance claim ever they wanted me to make a new proposal as the existing underwriter didn't want to renew the policy. After having made out the new proposal they came back with a figure of over £100 more for the same coverage. o_O

So back to the comparison sites. Did two, Comparethemarket and Moneysupermarket. Both came up with the same insurer, LVE, but at different prices. Comparethemarket cheapest by £7.00. On top of that I added an additional driver, my daughters partner, and it was £4.00 cheaper again !!. Work that one out if you can !! :rolleyes:

Going back to LVE through Comparethemarket :D
I’ve always found LVE very competitive and they were incredibly helpful and switched my late wife's NCB over to me when I changed the Mini insurance to my name.

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
It's an annual struggle with car insurance, they seem to quote on a whim, no rhyme or reason. I bank with Lloyds, and they sent details of a car insurance offer from "their insurers", though of course they're just brokers who deal with multiple companies. Back in 2012 their "special offer for Loyds bank customers" was less than other quotes I'd had for my C250 coupé so I went with them. A year later renewal time, and their quote was over 40% more than the previous one, lots of insurers try to play this trick, sucker you in with a low quote, hoping that you'll be too lazy to shop around. I tried the meerkat's comparison site, got a reasonable looking quote from LV, phoned them to query a few things, and their price came down (always do this, contact them directly, I've found they'll almost always improve on an online price if you negotiate sensibly). A year later, same old problem though, a hefty increase despite no claims. I'd used a local broker in the past, so thought I'd try that route again. A-Plan have an office near me, so I went to see them. Very nice and helpful people, with instant access to every insurer in the UK. They took all my details and checked through their system, eventually recommending someone called KGM, you probably haven't heard of them, I hadn't as they don't seem to advertise, don't appear on comparison sites, and deal almost exclusively with brokers. The A-Plan guy told me he'd been dealing with them for over 20 years with never a problem, but they never take problem drivers and are wary of expensive or "performance cars", which would probably cover many of us on here. A-Plan weren't sure if they'd accept my car, but they did, offering a very competitive figure with excellent cover, so I went with them. An E250 replaced my C250, and again A-Plan thought they might not accept that, but they did, and another competitive figure. The E250 was an excellent car but I found it rather dull, so that went in favour of an Alfa Giulia after a long test drive, an absolute gem, I signed on the spot, and as delivery draw closer, I went back to A-Plan, the guy's evebrows went right up when I told him. He said "You'll be lucky to get cover for that from KGM" he said, but to his amazement they did, good price as well. My Giulia was a constant joy and gave no trouble, but Alfa dealers are mostly awful, I've had experience of four over the years, and had one good one, two utter incompetents, and one bunch of incompetent crooks, so I never intended to keep the car beyond the warranty period. I sold it privately and shopped around for my current C300, eventually doing a deal, cash customer and no trade-in, with a London MB Dealer, and I called on A-Plan. The broker's eyebrows went even higher than when I breathed the word "Alfa" at him, "KGM aren't keen on Mercedes, especially the faster ones" he said, "But I'll try them for you". To his surprise, they accepted me with a reasonable (I think) quote, and I'll almost certainly be renewing with them in two months time. For the cover, they were the cheapest he could find out of all the insurers on his system, but I do have a clean licence with at least 15 years no claims. So if you're having problems, give them a try, I've only had experience of a single A-Plan branch, but I'd recommend them as well, with them working for you, you might do better than approaching KGM yourself, a decent broker can be really useful in all kind of ways.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am planning to check over the next 2 or 3 days so will report back my findings then.
I am currently with Admiral which is my first time ever using them so would prefer to have their renewal quote to hand for comparison, but I haven't received it yet.
I have now done my checking and arranged my next year of insurance.
My present company Admiral wanted to increase last years premium of £334 up to £414, which for me would be completely out of the question.
I had checked on the comparison sites and my best option was Aviva at £302, so I phoned Admiral and they did significantly reduce their quote to bring it slightly under last years price but it was still almost £30 more than Aviva.
I have went with Aviva. :)

Just to add an aknowledgement for Chris Knott Insurance - I did try them and they were willing to beat my Aviva quote for a directly equivalent policy at a price of £280, but I felt I had to jump through too many hoops in providing proof of this and that to save only £22.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Got the insurance quote for my wife's superb. It came in at "only ' €530..
Hallelulah Last year it was €630..now I am expecting this year's quote for the Merc..

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have now done my checking and arranged my next year of insurance.
My present company Admiral wanted to increase last years premium of £334 up to £414, which for me would be completely out of the question.
I had checked on the comparison sites and my best option was Aviva at £302, so I phoned Admiral and they did significantly reduce their quote to bring it slightly under last years price but it was still almost £30 more than Aviva.
I have went with Aviva. :)

Just to add an aknowledgement for Chris Knott Insurance - I did try them and they were willing to beat my Aviva quote for a directly equivalent policy at a price of £280, but I felt I had to jump through too many hoops in providing proof of this and that to save only £22.

Just had a quote from Chris Nott and they have quoted £574 !!. That's just under £300 more than the quote I have had from LVE. :shock: LVE it is then :)

Last edited:

Mercfan99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLK 220 CDI Auto
Yes, our good old friendly insurance companies, most I believe are owned by the banks. Use any excuse under the sun to screw a few more £ out of us all.

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
I went to transfer my insurance with the AA from my 2016 Audi A3 convertible to my 1995 Mercedes a124 E320 convertible but they won't insure a car 'that old' so I had to cancel the policy and start new. To be fair to AA the refund was pretty close to a pro-rata return so no complaints with them. Did the usual 'confused compared meerkats' searches and got very good quotes. Tried the partner through here and they were miles away. Gone with Admiral at around half the price my Audi cost (same use, annual mileage, drivers, etc.) so guess 'classic' played its part there.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I wonder how far up the foodchain you would have to go to get a satisfactory answer?

I felt like I had to climb up a lot of dead wood to sort out the youths accident issue where it was 50-50 till I reached someone of substance capable of understanding or should I say wanting to understand more accurately.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I’ve always found LVE very competitive and they were incredibly helpful and switched my late wife's NCB over to me when I changed the Mini insurance to my name.

I've stuck with LV= for years for both our cars on the basis that if you ever talk to them you seem to get someone sensible. They've handled a couple of non-fault claims very well although I wasn't thrilled with how they dealt with daughter's car, when that was written off by an Argos van. They did allow full business use cover for our 'kids' on wife's car, so they can use it for work if needed.

However, where many people have been saying renewals this year are cheaper, both of ours jumped up a hefty chunk this year. On my wife's car Aviva were much cheaper - although without the kids business cover, dont know what that would have cost, or even if it's possible.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I have been using an ADMIRAL multi car policy for a while
Mini Cooper Diesel 2016
Mercedes ML270
Toyota Aygo with daughter as learner driver,

Came in this year at under £800, If you consider most other companies wanted £400-£500 just for the Aygo due to learner driver, i did not think it was that bad.
They also replaced the screen in the Mercedes free of charge as i am an emergency service worker.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've stuck with LV= for years for both our cars on the basis that if you ever talk to them you seem to get someone sensible. They've handled a couple of non-fault claims very well although I wasn't thrilled with how they dealt with daughter's car, when that was written off by an Argos van. They did allow full business use cover for our 'kids' on wife's car, so they can use it for work if needed.

However, where many people have been saying renewals this year are cheaper, both of ours jumped up a hefty chunk this year. On my wife's car Aviva were much cheaper - although without the kids business cover, dont know what that would have cost, or even if it's possible.
While its a legal requirement, be prepared to be ( rhymes with stewed) royally....

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
So it would appear that this thread has turned out to be a support group for all the victims of cack insurance prices.. who would of thought this would be my most popular thread ever lol.

For what it's worth, At the beginning of 2019, I went with Admiral and am still with them.. they just kept being reasonable as I renewed and added more cars. I can't complaint.

I'm hoping to reach a point where I have enough NCB and a reasonable postcode that the market will be kind to me.... not that Admiral have been bad. All things considered, I don't find the insurance toooo expensive (For LONDON that is...)

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When it comes to insurance Conor, the company's in Ireland are Olympics class when it comes to extracting cash from their customers!!! Despite being under investigation by EU and found guilty of operating as a cartel, they tweaked it here and there, and it's business as usual,aided and abetted by the Govt

charlysays

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C250 Turbodiesel Sport Auto Estate
I just renewed with RH insurance after dial direct wanted an extra 50 quid a year (350 for the year). I have a reliant scimitar on a classic policy with RH and it turns out its a multi car and they have insured my daily C250 TD (modified with exhaust, induction and remap plus non standard alloys) for 400 for the year plus 95 for the scimitar including full breakdown recovery. Very helpful company who understand mods. They charged no extra for me declaring that I run it on waste chip fat too. Great company, similar to adrian flux but smaller and more personal.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
£950 fully comp with Admiral multicar for four cars, including 2 Landrover Defenders, a BMW 320d and my SL55. All with NCD protection, but limited mileage.

The premium actually went down this year. Hard to say if we're paying over the odds or not, as we've been with them for several years.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom