I know the whole rust issue has been done to death

mat_h

Reaction score
So has anyone got any sound recommendations for treating stone chips & spiders that are showing rust?
i have a few that have been left untreated & there is the slightest hint of rust visible beneath the paint.
Is there anything you can apply to stop the rust getting worse? is it worth touching them in with the mb paint/pencil?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Not that much that you can do. Rust spot will have a head where the water is sitting underneath,,hook this off with a small sharp instrument like a small screwdriver,,it is hard to sand as you do more damage than good, so just use the rewdriver blade to take away the rust,,then get a touch up pen set from Halfords to match your car, apply a couple of coats,leave it to dry and rub over it lightly with T cut and it will come off the good paint with ease. give it a last coat, if metalic.after a few seconds wipe it with your finger to smudge it, this will bring out the metalic flakes and correct the colour, leave it to dry for a few hours at 2oC the wipe again with T cut. I would not bother with the clear coat

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Using a magnifying glass can help with getting rid of as much rust as possible, the spores that are left will rear their ugly heads again, wipe the area well with celloluse thinners or even lighter fluid before applying the paint.. this will remove the dust and wax...
Also remember that the spidering will sometimes be much bigger than the paint blister..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Using a magnifying glass can help with getting rid of as much rust as possible, the spores that are left will rear their ugly heads again, wipe the area well with celloluse thinners or even lighter fluid before applying the paint.. this will remove the dust and wax...
Also remember that the spidering will sometimes be much bigger than the paint blister..

Thanks,,I forgot that bit,,T cut is good and you can paint over that

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Here is a very informative site giving detailed information on the best way to treat stone chips and other minor paintwork damage to your car, the materials to use, precautions to take to avoid future damage, etc. etc. - trouble is, I lost the will to live half way through........ :(;)

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom