I really cant decide and need help and advice

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
The 3k quote for replacing the headbolts wasn’t is there was a failure that’s just getting it done, you can add another 1k to it if they have failed and the associated work to get them fixed.
£1200 for brakes is about right for these, afraid there isn’t anyway of getting around it, they are expensive cars with very expensive tastes

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
And I suspect a lack of good quality non-MB parts for em too.

£120,000 cars do come with big repair bills, age wearies them!

OP
D

Deadeye-Detailing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 CDI
I have no issue with price or running them, i also run a Gallardo andand new Porsche 992. Service items im ok woth just dont fancy a 4 or 5 k bill within the 1st few months

OP
D

Deadeye-Detailing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 CDI
To throw a spanner in the works ive sen a couple of S63 AMG with the spec id want with good history.

My view is the CL63 isnt going to drop much more in money, possibly go up? where as the S63 will? What do you think? Do you agree?

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I think the N/A V8 engines will have a following as it could be, the largest capacity engines fitted in such models as well as the engine being designed from scratch by AMG as a dedicated racing engine. I think they will depreciate some more before values stabilise and go up.

I like the S63 as its got the 4 doors, opening it right up for proper family use and wider audience over the CL63. I think the CL, whilst desirable, will be harder to sell on than an S63, values aside. When I had the Jag XKR and wanted to sell it, a lot of potential buyers said they REALLY loved it but, it made sense to actually look at a XJR, on the basis my XKR had the draw backs of a more focused smaller sports car (e.g. 911) without the dynamics of one. If a GT suits you and your needs, get CL otherwise go for the S63 as you already have the Lambo and 992.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I also question why (with a Lambo and a 992) you need another "Sports Car" (Ok GT maybe but you know what I mean) - you have to ask yourself when you would be feeling "sporty" and take that not the 992 or Lambo.

So maybe you would get more use out of the S63 as it is SO clearly different from the Lambo and Porsche?

I also think values aside, the 4dr might be easier to sell.

Do you ever need 4 doors?

As to values - If you look at the value of the CL55 (not compressor) which was "1 down from the top one" - they fell to about £4k before steadying - and they have risen again now - but the ones that fell the most but are now on the up is the CL55K - so to get the "very top one" now you'd have to go CL65

I think these values have a huge amount to fall before they hit the bottom and start to rise. I can see them getting down to £7-8k before rarity starts to really kick in and they start to go back up.

Also as fuel continues to rise in price, the number of people willing to own something like that will drop a bit too - not massive - but a bit.

These will become collectors cars - but we are several years off that at the moment - there are simply too many available at the moment - but give it 10 years and definately.

How many S63's are there - if a lot less, they will go collectible sooner

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That’s a hard call,

Very low miles for age, but shockingly overpriced.... what price do you put on low mileage?

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
I may be wrong, but I think Carbon ceramic brakes standard on the CL63 hence the cost
If they were carbon ceramic you would be looking at four or five times £1200, I think (based on Porsche prices).

OP
D

Deadeye-Detailing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 CDI
I also question why (with a Lambo and a 992) you need another "Sports Car" (Ok GT maybe but you know what I mean) - you have to ask yourself when you would be feeling "sporty" and take that not the 992 or Lambo.

So maybe you would get more use out of the S63 as it is SO clearly different from the Lambo and Porsche?

I also think values aside, the 4dr might be easier to sell.

Do you ever need 4 doors?

As to values - If you look at the value of the CL55 (not compressor) which was "1 down from the top one" - they fell to about £4k before steadying - and they have risen again now - but the ones that fell the most but are now on the up is the CL55K - so to get the "very top one" now you'd have to go CL65

I think these values have a huge amount to fall before they hit the bottom and start to rise. I can see them getting down to £7-8k before rarity starts to really kick in and they start to go back up.

Also as fuel continues to rise in price, the number of people willing to own something like that will drop a bit too - not massive - but a bit.

These will become collectors cars - but we are several years off that at the moment - there are simply too many available at the moment - but give it 10 years and definately.

How many S63's are there - if a lot less, they will go collectible sooner
Its simple really ive ALWAYS wanted one!

I have no need for 4 doors at all. But i do like the ride of an S Class i just like the looks of the CL63 better.

I habe no idea why but the CL65 doesnt do it for me!

Oh i also have a Jag XJ thats for sale as it simoly does not get used! Great car for the money, i actually took it out today amd thought do i really need to get rid of the for a CL or S - then i wound down the window and thought "yeh i do" !

Reactions: DSK

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec

I have no need for 4 doors at all. But i do like the ride of an S Class i just like the looks of the CL63 better.

Oh i also have a Jag XJ thats for sale as it simoly does not get used! Great car for the money, i actually took it out today amd thought do i really need to get rid of the for a CL or S - then i wound down the window and thought "yeh i do" !

In that case then, a CL is the best option and they have always been one of the better GT cars in terms of size and practicality (IMO).

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Then get the 63 - just don’t overpay - there are lots of dealers out there chance their arm, claim they are classics and so on and charge silly money.

I’m not in work at the mo - but if you go onto Autotrader and carwow they both have valuation tools you can use to get an idea of the true worth of anything you are looking at.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
That’s a hard call,

Very low miles for age, but shockingly overpriced.... what price do you put on low mileage?
I wouldn't say the 65 was shockingly overpriced. Maybe a few quid over but not by that much. Typical dealer price. Only 25 ish got sold in the UK and of those at least 3 I wouldn't touch (poor neglected condition), so pretty rare.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0

Just one small practical point with the CL. If you're going to use it as a daily, beware of car parks. The doors are very long and you're a very tall lad, so you might struggle to get in and out! :)

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wouldn't say the 65 was shockingly overpriced. Maybe a few quid over but not by that much. Typical dealer price. Only 25 ish got sold in the UK and of those at least 3 I wouldn't touch (poor neglected condition), so pretty rare.
It's a 63 tho - if it were a 65 I'd say it wasn't that overpriced.

And yes - when there aren't many its very hard to judge what is a good price.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It's a 63 tho - if it were a 65 I'd say it wasn't that overpriced.

And yes - when there aren't many its very hard to judge what is a good price.
Reply #47 is a 65...

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I suppose it all comes down to budget

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
The current owner of the 65 above is who I bought my S212 from, real enthusiast and will be an immaculate car

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The current owner of the 65 above is who I bought my S212 from, real enthusiast and will be an immaculate car

It has had a LOT of money spent on it recently!!!!!!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom