I want my car back!

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Dropped my car off at ACMS this morning, for a service A, MOT, ATF fluid and brake fluid. It's passed the MOT no issues.

Hired myself a cheap hatchback from Hertz as I had a discount.

It's a Focus 1.0 Ecoboost. It's fine apart from being a bit asthmatic and having some stupid light on the dash telling me to change gear.

But blimey, driving back from Walsall in the pouring rain I missed how planted my 10 year old C class feels.

And changing gear, strewth, what a ballache, who does this by choice???? :p:D

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ short answer? Nobody by choice!

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
That 1.0 eco-boost engine is a little marvel to be honest, its a nice drive for a small car,
even though I'm not a ford fan, its my car hire preferred choice out of the rest of them.
You wouldn't want that useless semi autobox they fitted to the earlier ones,
iirc there was a class action law suit in Australia, or something similar, and the US, in the UK we just has to suck it up.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...oposed-settlement-for-ford-powershift-owners/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...acceleration-difficulty-stopping-braking.html

The main problem was, amongst other niggles, oil leaked from the seals contaminating the clutch plates.
Easy job to repair if you could get the parts.

Last edited:
OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You could argue that gear light is dangerous as it distracts you from the road.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You could argue that gear light is dangerous as it distracts you from the road.
Had one of those 'change gear now' lights on my car in NZ back in 1988 and frankly never found it a problem (no EU involved in that either as it was a Japanese car rebadged for the NZ market!)

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Dropped my car off at ACMS this morning, for a service A, MOT, ATF fluid and brake fluid. It's passed the MOT no issues.

Hired myself a cheap hatchback from Hertz as I had a discount.

It's a Focus 1.0 Ecoboost. It's fine apart from being a bit asthmatic and having some stupid light on the dash telling me to change gear.

But blimey, driving back from Walsall in the pouring rain I missed how planted my 10 year old C class feels.

And changing gear, strewth, what a ballache, who does this by choice???? :p:D

Someone once said of my then 9 year old Mercedes, why don't I consider a newer car? Well at the time I could afford a new ford or Vauxhall etc, but not a new MB without strapping myself on the tick, which isn't for me. I pointed out that I much prefer an older prestige car than a newer tin can, because its so much better value for money firstly, then all of the above you pointed out.

I still love my C320CDI W203, now at 12.5 years old, and I have considered swapping it for a late W204 C350 CDI and a new W205, but I don't see any value in doing so, its such a good car!

Avnt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes c350 cdi estate amg
Someone once said of my then 9 year old Mercedes, why don't I consider a newer car? Well at the time I could afford a new ford or Vauxhall etc, but not a new MB without strapping myself on the tick, which isn't for me. I pointed out that I much prefer an older prestige car than a newer tin can, because its so much better value for money firstly, then all of the above you pointed out.

I still love my C320CDI W203, now at 12.5 years old, and I have considered swapping it for a late W204 C350 CDI and a new W205, but I don't see any value in doing so, its such a good car!

Is that the same basic engine as the 350 cdi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I didn't.
More people didn't vote for Brexit than did.
I've figured it out!! Old people have more money therefore newer cars that have this dratted light.

I've solved the riddle!!! I'd best tell Vince Cable. :p:D

HaydnM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML350 / W164
Not sure about the one litre version, but the 1600 is a gem

Check out SB Developments web site

STD internals , new turbo

@ 350 BHP

Now that’s got you thinking

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
That 1.0 eco-boost engine is a little marvel to be honest, its a nice drive for a small car,
even though I'm not a ford fan, its my car hire preferred choice out of the rest of them.
You wouldn't want that useless semi autobox they fitted to the earlier ones,
iirc there was a class action law suit in Australia, or something similar, and the US, in the UK we just has to suck it up.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...oposed-settlement-for-ford-powershift-owners/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...acceleration-difficulty-stopping-braking.html

The main problem was, amongst other niggles, oil leaked from the seals contaminating the clutch plates.
Easy job to repair if you could get the parts.

We have a 2litre diesel cmax with the powershift and have had no problems with it in 3 years. Its a 2014 model so maybe an improvement on the earlier ones. Ford are still using it anyway.

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do remember reading that the early ones were rubbish and they had basically redesigned the whole box.

To be fair this little 1.0 3-pot is a marvel, 120bhp and it moves a 5 door hatch adequately. It can cruise at motorway speeds.

This light is daft though, if I'm at 40 in 3rd it can't seem to decide if I should go to 4th or 5th, so it keeps flashing from one to the other. It's pointless as it doesn't know WHY I am in 3rd. I could be forgetful, or I could be waiting to overtake a tractor. So, like many of these modern 'improvements' it just gets ignored.

Other than that the car is decent, comfy and spacious.

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
I was given a Fiesta for two days while they fitted a new rear bumper after being rear ended, at the end of the two days I had a pain in my left leg from the clutch and it was just uncomfortable. The relief when I got my CLK back.

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
If you were a bit nearer I could re-program (adjust) the key for you :)

Most hire companies have the anti wheel spin feature as well.

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
Interesting comments on here.

I currently work at a Ford main Dealership. The Fiesta is the best selling new & used vehicle in the UK.

Surely they must be doing something right? All those customers can't be wrong?

I've got a Mk7 1.0 ecoboost Fiesta for Mrs Binnedit, and she loves it. I drive it now and again, and it loves being rev'd.

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 Avantgarde 2000
Would love to get back my hassle, trouble and rust free Volvo 740 estate.

Top Bottom