I was driving today

Fettler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220/99/2151
my van is a 2007 sprinter with 873,000 miles with no rust and not had any paint work,it is all down to how they are looked after,a lot of vans are not owner drivers,but usually on long term hire to a company with under paid drivers who don't give a dam about the van and just open the rear doors against walls etc.they never get polished and only get washed with TFR which is quite corrosive,vans are usually on the road all day every day so through winter months encounter far more salt in one winter than most cars will do in the entire life of most peoples cars

873,000 :shock: WOW I'm impressed :mrgreen: Hers to another 800K :p

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
The variously badged Renault Trafic, Nissan Primastar and Opel/Vauxhall Vivaro joint venture vans seem popular and don't appear to suffer from rust to the same extent?

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
It is the white Vans that go very rusty, although red is a weaker colour they never look so bad.

I would have thought that all the sheet metal MB bought in for the 210 would be all used up by now.

That's interesting! Someone, a long time ago, told me that the different pigments in paint affect the way vehicles deteriorate. In fact he said that Green was the best colour to resist rust, and white was the worst.
I never knew if I should believe him or not, but he seemed to believe in what he said.
Maybe that was true for cellulose........???

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
That's interesting! Someone, a long time ago, told me that the different pigments in paint affect the way vehicles deteriorate. In fact he said that Green was the best colour to resist rust, and white was the worst.
I never knew if I should believe him or not, but he seemed to believe in what he said.
Maybe that was true for cellulose........???

that may explain why my 2004 211 has no sign of rust???

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
And that traffic bollard doesn't look as upright as it should either! :)

SteveX

Reaction score
Yup vans always get battered, loading stuff in and out, the paint gets chipped, cracked and scathes through to the metal are often just left to let the lovely british weather in!

Top Bottom