Idiot van driver and passenger

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Update. It's now Tuesday and I'm still waiting for the police to call me back!

I am not surprised at all, we called 101 about an issue we had, my Wife called 101 on Friday afternoon and they left a message on her Mobile at 4pm yesterday (Monday). Unfortunately she was at work and unable to answer her Mobile :rolleyes:

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I do not condone what these idiots did, and am glad no serious injury was sustained, but unfortunately there are so many idiotic cyclists about that they have made themselves a target to such an extent that a lot of motorista see them as "open game".
And I am not only talking about the ones on the roads, around where I live there are a lot of "shared pavements" whereby you just give each other room - which when there is room is a good idea. But on a couple of occasions on a path I use regularly on Hamble Lane I have had to dive into the hedgerow, (and a thorny one at that) because said cyclist thought it funny to vere towards me as he passes in the opposite direction. One day he will do it to the wrong person, (built like a rugby player) and he, (the offending cyclist) himself will go flying into the road headlong into traffic!
I will find it it very hard to feel any sympathy.................

Any irritation you feel about cyclists use of shared paths, pales into insignificance against the highly dangerous assault on Graham. He might have been killed. Your brush with a prickly bush was never likely to be lethal. There is no justification for cyclists becoming 'targets' or 'open game,'

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I do not condone what these idiots did, and am glad no serious injury was sustained, but unfortunately there are so many idiotic cyclists about that they have made themselves a target to such an extent that a lot of motorista see them as "open game".

I agree with the condemnation of idiots shown here, but I don't fully agree with the overall reasoning.
It separates road users into two groups - motorists and cyclists - whereas all road users, whatever their mode of transport, do both good things and bad.
It's society that is getting sick, not just cyclists or car drivers or van drivers or passengers. When we see a courageous act by a pedestrian, we don't know what mode of transport he uses - and the same applies when we see an idiotic or arrogant pedestrian.
It's the mind-set of some people in society that needs changing, however they choose to travel.
Consideration for and co-operation with others does not seem to be a priority nowadays. Belligerence rules, ok.
Rant over.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Really sorry to hear this Graham, but glad you survived the assault!
I see more and more cyclist and motorbikes with helmet cams these days and some I have seen with front and rear view.......Please get yourself one ;)
You may not have any further incidents but who knows.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
I agree with the condemnation of idiots shown here, but I don't fully agree with the overall reasoning.
It separates road users into two groups - motorists and cyclists - whereas all road users, whatever their mode of transport, do both good things and bad.
It's society that is getting sick, not just cyclists or car drivers or van drivers or passengers. When we see a courageous act by a pedestrian, we don't know what mode of transport he uses - and the same applies when we see an idiotic or arrogant pedestrian.
It's the mind-set of some people in society that needs changing, however they choose to travel.
Consideration for and co-operation with others does not seem to be a priority nowadays. Belligerence rules, ok.
Rant over.

Exactly, anyone grouping people together is part of the problem, but I think in this case the signature of "Distress The Government"/"Avoid Mass Media"/"Fight The Lies" tells you all you really need to know.

I'm a pedestrian, cyclist and motorist, I do each safely and with respect but like anyone else make mistakes or ignore the odd rule travelling in all forms. I'm fully aware that when I do make the occasional lapse or try to look at the satnav on the phone in the car the result could wipe out a cyclist or pedestrian, whereas on the bike the only person that would harm is me.

Hence I really don't understand the angst for cyclists. The other day I was turnign right into my one way street and a cyclist was coming towards me slowly in middle of the road against the direction of flow looking at his phone so I just stopped and beeped and he waved in acknowledgement and got out the way. Now that would probably be enough to give some on here a heart attack and a vendetta against all cyclists but as all I had to do was slow from 10mph to zero and the worst case if he hadnt seen me would have been a tap on my front bumper I just got on with my life, even acknowledging his acknowledgement of wrong with a smile.

Later on there was a torrential storm on a 2 lanemotorway and a car was overtaking slowly a row of others and another car was tailgating and swerving around trying to undertake between the cars the first car was overtaking, at one point almost losing control. Now I'll reserve anger for this sort of car driver because unlike a cyclist that sort of behaviour in an electrical storm with huge amounts of standing water could easily cuase a fatal or serious injury crash. No doubt the same people raging mad for 24h from the cyclist ignoring one way street/on phone incident would probably just say "idiot" under their breath and not get bothered at all - as the dangerous car driver is one of their "group"...

OP
G

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Well the police did call and were very understanding but they hold out little hope of catching the culprits. Pretty much as expected really although they did say they would check the area for any cctv. As it's a semi rural spot l'm not holding my breath.
Thanks to everyone for their good wishes here and I'll update should the unexpected happen and someone is apprehended for this.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Let's hope for a long shot - that a following motorist has a dashcam video and posts it on line somewhere.

MinionBob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Viano - 2012 - OM651 Engine - 2.2
Don't be put off - as mentioned there are idiots in all walks of life.

It is very easy to remember the 0.1% that are complete tools but forget the 99.9% that are caring, courteous and respectful. I remind myself of this often.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom