ignition and starter clk320

mjnicholson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk coupe30002001
hi guys can you help tried to start car turned key nothing but the radiator fan came on tried a number of times same thing happens battery fully charged thanks mick

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
give us a bit more mick.

when did you last use the car? why do you say battery is fully charged, have you charged it on the car? do you have any history of faults you want to share with us? - it may help. what age and model is it, eg w208/w209?

have you checked all the fuses? if you have charged it on the car this could cause all sorts of problems.

OP
M

mjnicholson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk coupe30002001
hi alexander i did charge the battery on the car at the terminal inside engine bay, i have a problem with electric seats,wing mirrors,windows they work for a couple of days then stop i take the fuses out and they work any solutions thanks mick

A

andy@pcd-ltd

Itake it no dash lights came on and would the key turn all the way to position three.

When you say the windows seats etc stop do they just stop working completley or do just some of the functions stop. Which fuses do you take out to get themworking again.

The car really needs to be put on a star machine to see what is going on

OP
M

mjnicholson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk coupe30002001
hi willow all the dash light up,none of the functions work the fuses i take out are 17,8,7 thanks mick

A

andy@pcd-ltd

I think the two faults are not linked but as i said really needs to go on a star machine to be checked out fully it could be a number of things i.e the starter,EIS, front sam.

But also need to know what model it is i.e w208 w209 etc

OP
M

mjnicholson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk coupe30002001
hi its 208

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
We have had many EIS ignition switches go down this year.

One check that you can do though it is hard to get to it, is to put a test lamp or voltmeter on the small terminal on the starter to see if you get 12 volts when you turn the key to start, if you do then the starter motor is at fault

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
i fear that there may be damage from 'spiking' - perhaps malcolm can give us a brief description of the physics of voltage spikes caused when connecting/disconnecting external power supplies to a car's wiring. if so the ecu could be goosed, or possibly just a blown fuse.

mick, CAREFULLY and METHODICALLY check ALL the fuses - ESPECIALLY the fuses you will find under the plastic cover in the passenger side of the engine bay. this cover is behind the place you charged the car from, and is secured by 4x screws. under here you will find a couple of control modules and more fuses. good luck and get back with your findings.

OP
M

mjnicholson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk coupe30002001
ignition and starter clk 320 208

hi guys had car put on star machine conclusion no communication ignition and fuse box ditto door modules quoted new ignition £450 plus keys £250 each and £60 too code them help mick

A

andy@pcd-ltd

Why have they quoted you for new keys there is no need to replace the keys when replacing the ignition switch

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Willow is correct you do not need to replace the keys

A

andy@pcd-ltd

To me it sounds like it hasnt been diagnosed correctly and a short test is not totally decisive of what the fault is

Top Bottom