Ignition barrel problem SL350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2003 3.7
Hi everyone. Today my SL350 took it upon itself to stop working. I walked away from it, roof, windows down and when I came back… nothing, nada!. The key don’t turn , no lights. Had to be taken home on a flatbed . It’s now in the drive covered in a tarp cos I can’t lift the roof or windows.
I tried both keys and checked fuses. NOWT!
Any advice graciously received.
John

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Sounds like the EIS has failed. This place has a mobile service in W Yorks. No idea what they are like as I live far away.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
There is in mb star a method to get the roof up without power. I kept it in my sl600 in case. Its a bit of a fiasco and I never actually tried it. However it is F nuts that there is no relatively simple manual method
Having to call on, pay for a flat bed to recover the car would have ended my ownership. Just imagine if it had psd down and the mess/, damage caused.
Does this mean its a sensible idea to keep a tarp in a mb luxury car?

OP
Johnny Samerthrace
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2003 3.7
That’s just how I’m feeling now!!!.. it’s parked outside the garage door !… I can’t even push it inside as it’s stuck in park.
FOR SALE…. Beautiful sky blue, cream leather ………

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Little bit of fiddling if you are up for it… drop the lower dash panel off and unplug all the connectors on the EIS ignition switch and then replug them. Sometimes it will bring them magically back to life

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Little bit of fiddling if you are up for it… drop the lower dash panel off and unplug all the connectors on the EIS ignition switch and then replug them. Sometimes it will bring them magically back to life
Grand if works but I cud not face it happening again in potentialy worse conditions so I wud have to fix it properly, if electronicaly, possible given dtf.

OP
Johnny Samerthrace
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2003 3.7
Thank you for the advice.

OP
Johnny Samerthrace
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2003 3.7
Someone told me this tip today!!. If you point the key at the black button on the exterior door handle the roof and windows will go up… IT WORKED!!!. So pleased… but car still won’t start .at least it’s waterproof now.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Someone told me this tip today!!. If you point the key at the black button on the exterior door handle the roof and windows will go up… IT WORKED!!!. So pleased… but car still won’t start .at least it’s waterproof now.
The keys have 3 separate systems.

1. RF locking and unlocking - works from a distance
2. IR locking and unlocking and total closing and opening - works from a couple of feet away and has to pointing at the IR receiver in the door handle
3. Passive immobiliser chip that is read by an inductive loop in the steering binnacle

OP
Johnny Samerthrace
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2003 3.7
Thanks for all your advise peeps!. I had a 350 that wouldn’t acknowledge the key. Had a fabulous young fella from Huddersfield come out and have a look at it for me.
It was the infra-red sensor in the key hole. It’s got four quadrants in the receiver and 2 had burned out. He replaced the receiving infra red eye with one out of a sprinter and voila!!!!. It was fixed. If anyone wants his number I’m happy to refer his services. Saved me a flippin fortune !!!!!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Grand half a result.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom