IL6 or V6

mattsurf

Reaction score
I am about to change my W210 E320 CDI - it is just getting too tatty and I think that reliability may go downhill in the next year or so.

I have seen 2 cars advertised - MB direct have an late (2005) IL6 E320 CDI which has a good spec for around £17.5k with 50k miles - there is also a 2006 V6 with 30k miles for £16.5k. I realise that buying from MB direct will always be more expensive as they have to make a margin

From what I have heard the V6 is a fantastic smooth engine, but it is less economical than the IL6 and it is not as reliable.

Too be honest I find my W210 E320CDI to be quite smooth.

Given that there is little to choose on price, which is better the IL6 or the V6

Thanks

Matt

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Theres another thread from a few weeks ago, try searching, some good info, same title!!

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
I have driven petrol V6 and IL6 engines, and I have always preferred the IL6.

Some of the best engines in the world have been IL6, IMHO Mercedes introduced the modular V6 and V8 engines to save money, not to bring us a better driving experience.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The V6 is very smooth, the gearbox isn't always that smooth in that you can get some harsh downchanges at low speed. The fuel economy is ever so slightly better than the IL6 in my experience. The power however is a lot more than the IL6 and is very addictive. I've covered 60K miles and no engine issues, I'm also on my first set of pads & discs, the gearbox needed a new valve control pack at 50K miles which whilst covered by warranty would have been ~£1.5K if not.

discoking

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
1985 500SEL
Sorry for going slightly off topic but:
I have driven petrol V6 and IL6 engines, and I have always preferred the IL6.

Some of the best engines in the world have been IL6, IMHO Mercedes introduced the modular V6 and V8 engines to save money, not to bring us a better driving experience.

Completely agree,I find IL6 engines on old Jags,Mercs and old/new BMWs to be a lot better than a lot of these newer V6's about nowadays...sound better too imo.

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
I would go for IL6 Don't no much about hard tops or soft tops never had one before, but I know my engines. Hope this helps

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
I6 here too. Its smooth enough and its no less powerful than a 280cdi V6 but less so than the new 320 v6. Pluses are 5spd box. -ves are that most V6s reside in facelifted 211s which are an improved car.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
You know the IL6 well so try the V6 and see what you think. I'd definately be tempted with a facelifted 211.

The only thing that puts me off the car is the 7 speed box with its quirky behaviour and continual updates. I've never been convinced that having seven gears is really necessary on modern roads with a torquey large engine.

The main plus will be the galvanised bodywork and better paint. I walked past a new black 211 estate this evening and the quality of the paintwork looked superb.

Hope this helps!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Ok guys and girls!

Didn'T want to have to repeat the last Q+A on this but gonna have to!

The new 642 lump has the following faults!

Crank sensor, even after the recall, there still giving out!

Inlet port shut off motors going u/s due to turbo oil leaks!

Front main big end bearing knocking!!

Left hand airflow meter, (on the first ones)

Balance shaft, main drive eats itself, major engine strip!!

Oil leak out of filler cap!

Do i need to go on???

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
I would go for IL6 Don't no much about hard tops or soft tops never had one before, but I know my engines. Hope this helps

I also love inline engines better than Vs I have an inline 5 pot E211 270CDI and it is startling and has a lovely growl I also own a V8 4ltr Rover powered Cobra which sounds lovely but not as smooth as the Merc 5 pot, I have never heard anything bad about the Merc V6s only the forever changing 7G gearbox, the best Autobox I ever had was my old Rolls Spirit 3 speed GM box 135k and you still could,nt feel the gearchanges.;)

Only my opinion though which is probably worth what you paid for it:rolleyes:.

I reckon they are both nice cars so personal preference should prevail.
Alfie B

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Ok guys and girls!

Didn'T want to have to repeat the last Q+A on this but gonna have to!

Do i need to go on???

:shock:**** now I have read something bad about the V6s,:Oops: I hope you cant say the same problems occur on the old straight 5 E270 CDI???, I chose the 5 pot over a later (but more miles) E280 V6 CDI, I did regret my choice for a while should I now feel better SAM-UNIT??.
Alfie B

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
:shock:**** now I have read something bad about the V6s,:Oops: I hope you cant say the same problems occur on the old straight 5 E270 CDI???, I chose the 5 pot over a later (but more miles) E280 V6 CDI, I did regret my choice for a while should I now feel better SAM-UNIT??.
Alfie B

No Alfie, the old 270 and 320 were/are a good lump, seen 450000 on a 320 and still going, nothing like the faults being seen on the 642 lump!!

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
No Alfie, the old 270 and 320 were/are a good lump, seen 450000 on a 320 and still going, nothing like the faults being seen on the 642 lump!!

Thank goodness for that you are slowly becoming my hero SAM-UNIT:lol:.

I can start spending my hard earned pennies again then:rolleyes:.

Regards
Alfie B

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

Do i need to go on???
Old Crank sensor was fine, the replacement I had failed after 4 days. No issue with the inlet port, front main bearings airflow meter balance shaft or oil leak from filler cap. I have however just had the glow plug warning light stay on after starting today so that implies one or more glow plugs have failed.

Having said all that I do prefer the V6 to the IL6. I know my IL6 was very special and I loved it but the V6 is great at everything it does. I never notice the 7G box unless it is doing one of the harsh low speed downshifts. It sits at 1,600 revs at 70mph and is a pleasure to use. I could tell the 5G box was changing but I never had the occasional harsh downshift with that. Try both and see which you like, the IL6 is not without issues as I'm sure S-A-M will confirm.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Old Crank sensor was fine, the replacement I had failed after 4 days. No issue with the inlet port, front main bearings airflow meter balance shaft or oil leak from filler cap. I have however just had the glow plug warning light stay on after starting today so that implies one or more glow plugs have failed.

Having said all that I do prefer the V6 to the IL6. I know my IL6 was very special and I loved it but the V6 is great at everything it does. I never notice the 7G box unless it is doing one of the harsh low speed downshifts. It sits at 1,600 revs at 70mph and is a pleasure to use. I could tell the 5G box was changing but I never had the occasional harsh downshift with that. Try both and see which you like, the IL6 is not without issues as I'm sure S-A-M will confirm.

The early ones didnt seem to have any faults Russ, my first R,class did 50000 mile in a year, never had a fault!!!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The early ones didnt seem to have any faults Russ, my first R,class did 50000 mile in a year, never had a fault!!!
I didn't know that the R Class came with the IL6, I know that it wouldn't fit in the ML or C which is I believe one reason they went for the V6.
My IL6 went through a few glow plugs and I had one failure due to something with the engine management (fixed under warranty so no idea what they did (prior to me being on the forum as well)) but no issues with the injectors which I've seen on here a few times.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Sorry Russ, was talking about the first 642 lump, the first "V6"!!!

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
From a dealer?

Hi,

I can't add anything to the engine discussion bot I do have the 7 speed box on my E500 and it is totally seamless. Without the rev counter I wouldn't know it was changing.

One comment though is that on my car the Main dealer one year warranty has been the first one I've known to pay out. I had a new battery. Diagnosed supplied and fitted at home and a brake light switch. Both done with no quibble on the warranty

P

PanzerMcGrory

Ive driven the IL6 and owned the 270 cdi and now the 3.0 V6 and im not here to knock anyone elses choice but just to say how i find my V6 which is it sounds great and coupled with the 7 speed box is silky smooth and also very fast when needed.

I do hope i keep getting enjoyment out of it as long as possible before it will apparently fall to bits.

blassberg

Reaction score
one or more glow plugs have failed.

I never notice the 7G box unless it is doing one of the harsh low speed downshifts.
Hi B, note that some of the V6 glowplugs have to be machined out as the threads go.

7G box - I love it - especially with the paddles - but prefer the up/down both sides switch paddles to the obvious one up one down affairs. I agree with your summary above though.

V6 over IL5 270 definitely. Don't know enough about the IL6.

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom