Impressed with Dash Build Quality ...

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
... on my CLS.

I've noticed, especially during this very warm weather, there isn't a single creak or click from the dash. Even as the a/c attempts to freeze my face off there are no thermal contraction/expansion noises whatsoever, :cool:

My old C class used to crack and click away as the temperatures changed due to the a/c, whether heating or cooling.

That said the cooling efficiency of the a/c in the CLS is streets ahead of the C class. I expected the heating to be better (petrol vs diesel) but the CLS must have a much larger capacity refrigeration unit. Even after sitting closed up in the full sun cabin temps are positively chilly in very few minutes.
4c89cd5e.gif

AlastairD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 S211 E270 CDi Elegance 100k+
I agree about the aircon, I know my e class is a bit older but it's now where near as good.

Quality wise generally I agree however the flaps on the air vents in the centre of the dash are not stiff at all, they are either up or down with no half way. Not sure if something is broken or worn or this is just how they're supposed to be.

OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
My centre vents are fine, they hold their position ok.

What I have noticed though is there seems more output from the passenger half, thumbwheels equal settings...

b1g1an

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG
That's why I was so shocked how crap the new E-class coupe was when i had one on loan, just a mass of thin, hard, low quality plastic that's no better than the Korean's.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
My 210's dash is sound must be the lack of things to rust !

AlastairD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 S211 E270 CDi Elegance 100k+

What I have noticed though is there seems more output from the passenger half, thumbwheels equal settings...

Something else for me to fix then :roll:, it does the missus head in.

I only get into the passenger side when I've had a few.

OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Something else for me to fix then :roll:, it does the missus head in.

I only get into the passenger side when I've had a few.

It would take a lot more than a few to get me into the passenger seat!:shock::lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

I would say that in my CL the 2 sides are not the same, interesting thing was,when the air con was low on gas, the passenger vent only blew warm air and the drivers side cool. I changed the heater change over motor and there was no change :( The re charge (only a tiny bit needed) fixed it, funny things motor cars.

I get no noises at all in my cab and very good in this respect :D

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I have a 62 reg E250 loan car while my SL55 is being serviced. Full appraisal to follow but I agree

1. The aircon is very (painfully) cold

2. The car feels plasticky compared to the SL.

c15htn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'00 A208 CLK320 Convertible.
I have a 62 reg E250 loan car while my SL55 is being serviced.

2. The car feels plasticky compared to the SL.
I had a new (ex demo) C class for a few days on an extended test and felt exactly the same compared to the CLK.
Felt very Japanese / Cheap - especially for the prices being asked :Oops: Certainly felt no better than a certain French car that I've ended up ordering :shock:

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I had a new (ex demo) C class for a few days on an extended test and felt exactly the same compared to the CLK.
Felt very Japanese / Cheap - especially for the prices being asked :Oops: Certainly felt no better than a certain French car that I've ended up ordering :shock:

Do tell . .
What have you ordered?
I like some of the Citroens I must admit.

c15htn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'00 A208 CLK320 Convertible.
Do tell . .
What have you ordered?
I like some of the Citroens I must admit.

No, I'll give you that the C something is nice looking but rather dear for a small hatch.

My company give me the option of an allowance and get my own or 'spend' it via the company lease deal...... meaning I get the car from their choices, any change due from the allowance and I don't have to worry as the lease is in their name not mine - so any costs are theirs not mine at the end of it.

So I plumped for a Renault Megane Sportshatch. Ive selected every option on the list except leather which makes for a VERY expensive little car retail but still leaves me with change from my allowance, the emission level is so low my tax code will be 50% better off and my company love me because it's a 1.5dci with free road tax....... and the thing drives like it's on rails..... almost like the days of the old hot hatch gti's ! And the nice people at GAD are looking at solutions to 'pep' it up a bit..... Although the loaner I had was quicker than the chipped 1.9 Vauxhall I currently have - which was nice.
So, nothing clever and nothing special but doing roughly 1000 miles a week it just needed tbe comfy, quiet and nippy - how long it will survive I have no idea :shock::lol:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom