In the market for a Cabrio CLK

system

Reaction score
Hi All,
Hope you're keeping well!
I've recently noticed an unbelievably low prices on some CLKs on AutoTrader.
I read a bit (or a lot) on the models and following an opinion which I found largely asserted here on this forum, I'm thinking the right model is CLK320 - people cite its engine is best.
Also presumably pre-2003 is not too bad, unless rusted badly.
Also, in terms of standard extras, it seems that the Avantgarde is the model I want, for it has as many extras as possible (is that correct?) as standard?

What I wonder is how to reduce the rather large number of search results for the right car, in order to save myself a bit of money on the inspection which I'm going to order - either by a friend or an AA inspection. So not to waste time / money on 5-6 inspections.

Is there something like a hard and fast rule to tell me that I'm looking a potentially very large expense to repair a poor condition car? I know the adage 'if it is too good to be true, then it is not'... but how can I judge the mileage / reg year / condition / price ratio to avoid travelling to see a car, only to be disappointed?

If I was to post couple of examples from Autotrader (are we allowed to post links here?) would someone be kind enough to let me know their opinion on whether I'm wasting my time, please?

For example, right now there is a sweet looking two-tone leather silver CLK320 Avantgarde (Private seller) @ 127K miles, priced at £1,850 and whilst I haven't seen the car in person, I can barely stop myself from going to the bank to draw the cash...

But, is it such a good deal? Would I have to stump up another £1K or more to repair it to actually 'make' it a good car, if something is about to go wrong with it?

Any opinion much appreciated and thank you in advance
JK

Last edited:

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
Hi and welcome.

The 320 Avantgarde is in my opinion a wise choice. This would be either model number 208 or early 209.
I would double check that everything electric works, that the engine and gearbox are smooth. As much history as possible. Check the wheel arches and inside the engine bay for rust. I don't think these have many problems, ours has been fine for 11 years, touch wood!!.
Drive a few and good luck in your search for,a nice one.

Abb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
Also post your location and that of any cars you see nationwide, as some members may actually view the car on your behalf if its local for them and not for you.

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Worth considering the 430 also.

Fuel economy not much worse than the 320, but you get a nice V8 burble to compensate.

OP
S

system

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies

@wearsafoxhat - thank you for the tips, will remember those. I actually read somewhere that the 'rust' era of MB started somewhere in 1998, before that the cars were much more rust-free, is that correct or am I imagining things?

@abb - this is actually a great idea, might save me quite some time. As soon as I have something solid as a choice, I'll post for help and offer the necessary compensation

@Mark A - thanks for that tip, I'll have it mind. I think I read it somewhere on the forums here too, but at the time I remembered the insurance gangsters asking me whether the Merc I'm planning to buy would be performance, citing that sports models or V8 is a performance car and increases the premium.
Right now there is only one 430 on autotrader - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609037394115
It is priced at £3500 for 1999 reg and it just seems way too much. Though maybe according to some criteria, this might be the right price.

I read on wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_CLK-Class ) that from 2000 the CLK had a facelift with revised instrument cluster, and a new revision model came from about 2003. Whilst I very much want the second generation A209 (example http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609107644413) I think for now I need to cut my teeth with an A208.

Would someone please express a very quick opinion on whether any of these 3 are OK and also whether they seem to be worth the asking price?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608166851225
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609027375399
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201607025474774

Should I be afraid of high mileage? Currently, I think not, unless it has been clocked...

Thank you very much in advance
JK

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E320cdi S211, SL320 2000(written off), Lotus Excel
You can also check the car's MOT history here

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=1.119142922.2011665856.1469402566

This might give an idea of any advisories that my need money spending on and its history.

Also before paying for an inspection why not go and look youreslf. You can get an idea of condition, press all the buttons and make sure everything works, check the tyres and have a drive and see if anything obvious. Then get the inspection done.

I can say the 320 is a lovely engine and you can sometimes find them with an LPG conversion making them cheap to run. But, of course that would also need checking.

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Of the three you posted, personally I would put this one at the top of the list

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609027375399

Have a look at MOT history, generally always passes without any advisories, although the mot is about to expire, so could insist on new mot.
The other two have the seem to fail almost every mot and then have items fixed to pass with advisories left alone to come up at next mot. - hints of someone doing the minimum to keep the car on the road.

Last edited:
OP
S

system

Reaction score
Thank you AMck

Great stuff - this is where knowledge and experience comes in.

Just tried the MOT database for this car... it didn't show up, so now I can sleep easy tonight knowing I will not have to deal with a getting a loan in order to buy it ;-)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608227019255

Thank you again!!!

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Great stuff - this is where knowledge and experience comes in.

Just tried the MOT database for this car... it didn't show up, so now I can sleep easy tonight knowing I will not have to deal with a getting a loan in order to buy it ;-)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608227019255

Thank you again!!!

Doesn't necessarily mean anything dodgy, might have had a plate change. It shows up on the mot and tax check as mot'd until 30/4/17 and taxed to 1/5/17.

The only problem with seeing that car at that price makes me want it. I'm sure the bank manager will understand ;)

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
As AMck, the 320 with the two tone interior would be my first to see car too. Slightly high milage but nothing if it has been looked after.
The 55 seems rather cheap but could be a genuine bargain. I would have a look at it because it would be a nice motor if it was a tidy genuine car and it's an AMG.

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I too, really wouldn't be worried about mileage. I had an SL with the same engine and gearbox and it was still going great at 295,000 miles.

OP
S

system

Reaction score
Well nice

Thank you all for all the advice and opinions - it is so great to experience a friendly word of advice when you need it :)

The 55 is puzzling - it has; it is badged as 63 on the back and it says AMG - so far I've noticed AMG wheels, brakes and floormats... has anyone else noticed anything else AMG on it?

It is 310 miles away from me and I wonder how to fudge my weekend in order to cross the country all the way to the Orkney Islands ;-)

Have a nice day you all.
JK

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you all for all the advice and opinions - it is so great to experience a friendly word of advice when you need it :)

The 55 is puzzling - it has; it is badged as 63 on the back and it says AMG - so far I've noticed AMG wheels, brakes and floormats... has anyone else noticed anything else AMG on it?

It is 310 miles away from me and I wonder how to fudge my weekend in order to cross the country all the way to the Orkney Islands ;-)

Have a nice day you all.
JK

Both DVLA and HPI have it listed as an AMG CLK55 with engine capacity of 5439cc. So seems pukka - you might have to get your route planned to the islands.

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
One of the reasons I bought my SL was on the basis that when I did an MOT history check in the last 10 years it had only one advisory for a discoloured indicator lens so clearly the previous owner (s) had kept on top of maintenance. :D

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Chassis number for the CLK55 is WDB2094762T009224

From data card
Besides normal stuff and confirmation it has a 5.5l engine, it has
Parktronic
Electric memory seats, mirrors and steering column
Auto dimming interior and exterior mirrors
Rear side airbags
Command
Telephone in front armrest
Multi contour front seats
Bi-xenon headlights
Sound system
Tv tuner analogue
Keyless go
Heated seats

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I wish you wouldn't keep posting these links... I've always driven 'sensible' cars and I keep telling SWMBO that one of us at least ought to have a bit of rejuvenation (and she know I don't mean botox)!

Good luck with your quest and keep us posted!

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wish you wouldn't keep posting these links... I've always driven 'sensible' cars and I keep telling SWMBO that one of us at least ought to have a bit of rejuvenation (and she know I don't mean botox)!

Good luck with your quest and keep us posted!

I know, I was looking for a CLK500 or 55 cab 4 months ago to replace SL, but ended up being persuaded to get something sensible, so ended up with an E320 cdi estate:confused: If it was closer I'd be really interested in the 55

Last edited:
OP
S

system

Reaction score
Sense & Sensibility

Hah... Sense... I don't let mundane things like that get in the way - of dreaming at least ;-)

Whilst I'm not trying to up the ante, I wonder are the 2.8 engines and 7G-tronic gearboxes nice and steady on the 2005 onwards CLK models, such as this proud example:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609117662360

In truth, I prefer black cars with black leather... but you can't have it all ;-)

Cheerio
(and don't forget - if Thursday is the new Friday, go back few days and it logically follows that Monday is the new Tuesday... and without a Monday, you can't have a Friday - a proven cure for Monday's blues...)

deviousrich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 Sport 2013
i used to have the CLK320 Sport and it was brilliant! i had the 2009 but imho the sport model was worth having for the flappy paddle gear shift, body kit and all the toys (leather electric seats etc).
great car, i only sold it as i needed more room when the daughter arrived!

just thought id mention it incase you werent aware the sport variant existed etc

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hah... Sense... I don't let mundane things like that get in the way - of dreaming at least ;-)

Whilst I'm not trying to up the ante, I wonder are the 2.8 engines and 7G-tronic gearboxes nice and steady on the 2005 onwards CLK models, such as this proud example:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609117662360

In truth, I prefer black cars with black leather... but you can't have it all ;-)

Cheerio
(and don't forget - if Thursday is the new Friday, go back few days and it logically follows that Monday is the new Tuesday... and without a Monday, you can't have a Friday - a proven cure for Monday's blues...)

Be very careful if going for an early 2.8. They suffer with balance shaft failure. Have a look at link below. Mercedes lost a class action in USA on this one.

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/check-my-mercedes-benz-for-balance-shaft-issue-by-vin-m272273/

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom