Information wanted please - 2018 S350d Multifunction Display Symbols

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350d
Morning All,

Have had my pre-owned 2018YM S350d for a month now. So far, so very good. Have read a fair bit of the book manual but there's one display feature I cannot find either in the book or online.
Using Classic design, when I engage Distronic using traffic signed speeds as a stored speed I often get a row of symbols pop up from the bottom of the centre display for a few seconds only. from left to right they seem to be :- a traffic sign (lollipop) symbol, a letter A or letter M then the speedometer symbol, stored speed number. I can't quite remember just now but there may be a digit 1 or maybe it's a capital I before the A or M.

Can anyone explain exactly what this is indicating - particularly the A or M. The speedo symbol and the stored speed I can understand but haven't quite worked out why sometimes it's an A and sometimes an M (and sometimes theres a 1/I) if I'm seeing it correctly. It's only there for a few seconds before dropping back down (a bit like the Active Lane Change messages).

Any info gratefully received.

Cheers

PG

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350d
Just to clarify above - 2018 model 67 plate (post facelift model)

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Just a suggestion. If you photograph the rogue display and post it here, someone clever will explain the display.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350d
I've only seen it whilst actually driving. I will try and see if I can get it to appear whilst stationary or very low speed. It only pops ups for a few seconds though.

Mike Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 C200 Estate AMG line plus
May be you could set your mobile up on a stand or something and video whilst driving.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I believe the A may be Active steering assist, the newer models have a steering wheel picture (in green active, grey ready etc), I looked through the manual too and it wasn’t obvious , ‘I’ might be individual?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350d
Hi John, Thanks. I'll have to do some tests in various modes e.g. with Traffic Sign Assist on and off, Active Steering Assist On/Off etc. to see if I can spot any pattern. I've not yet switched to Sport or Individual driving modes, only Comfort and Eco. I do get a little green steering wheel pop up when I switch on Active Steering and Lane Keeping assist, but that's not part of the display set I'm asking about. Not sure about trying to photo it whilst driving!

Mike Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 C200 Estate AMG line plus
Maybe attach a phone holder or something similar to the headrest post and set it to start recording video before you start driving. Or have someone in the rear seat behind you recording or taking pics while you drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350d
Hello Mike, I don't have a phone holder capable of being fixed to anything. Could chauffer SWMBO I suppose but with her technical abilities with gadgets such as phones and cameras I could be posting lots of photos of the back of my head :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350d
Interesting video which I have watched before (before purchase). However, there was nothing in there that I didn't already know and at no point did I see the display pop up that I'm trying to identify. But a nice video for anyone considering a facelift S350d

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350d
I’m pleased to answer my own question. By closer inspection of the display this morning I was able to work out what the display meant. the pop up display starts with a traffic sign lollipop, then either A or M. There is no 1 or I. The rest of the display is the standard distronic icon of the the speedo plus the stored speed. With distronic activated it’s an A if distronic changes the stored speed (and therefore the vehicle speed changes) in response to a speed limit sign, either by camera or by GPS. It’s an M when I manually engage distronic setting stored speed equal to the current displayed speed limit sign.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350d
...but an explanation of this is not in the manual.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
You could just have duct taped the phone to your forehead and left it recording :rolleyes:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom