Infra red vs radio

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
While wandering around the Merc showroom I've noticed that the new cars no longer seem to have the infra red window/receiver on the door. Has Merc finally entered the modern world & dropped infra red? Does this mean you can close your new Merc's windows from across the car park or your front room instead of having to stand next to the car?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Don’t know. I do know that the IR system was really expensive at the plant.

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Don’t know. I do know that the IR system was really expensive at the plant.

I just find the IR system is bizarre in that you need to stand looking at the drivers door to open or close windows & roofs yet you can unlock the car from that far away that the car has re-locked itself by the time you've walked to it. :confused:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
................ can close your new Merc's windows from across the car park or your front room instead of having to stand next to the car?

I know my son can use his phone to unlock (and, I believe, start ) his (E53) with NFC however would assume the above also applies!.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I just find the IR system is bizarre in that you need to stand looking at the drivers door to open or close windows & roofs yet you can unlock the car from that far away that the car has re-locked itself by the time you've walked to it. :confused:

Which is why owners of convertibles like the SmartTop so much.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
It’s one of those systems that was really advanced in its day but has been overtaken by tech. The standards for window open vs door unlock fall into the same thing.

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
It’s one of those systems that was really advanced in its day but has been overtaken by tech. ...

but it was overtaken years ago. Though I could only close the windows & roof of my Omega I could do so from my front room, and it was a 1999 car

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
but it was overtaken years ago. Though I could only close the windows & roof of my Omega I could do so from my front room, and it was a 1999 car
Prior to the RF key Omegas (and other Vauxhall’s) had lighted keys (little light came on when you pressed the button so you could find the keyhole in the dark).

When they launched the unlocking button they had to put stickers on advising they weren’t lights as people were confused and kept saying their key lights wouldn’t work:rolleyes:

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Prior to the RF key Omegas (and other Vauxhall’s) had lighted keys (little light came on when you pressed the button so you could find the keyhole in the dark).
Yes. ... My Senators had them. Pity they didn't work very well :D

When they launched the unlocking button they had to put stickers on advising they weren’t lights as people were confused and kept saying their key lights wouldn’t work:rolleyes:
:D :D

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom