Inside tyre wear + what tyres for W211 220 CDi (16" Rim)

MLAM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 220 CDi (Facelift)
Hi all,

Having suffering from vibration on the rear of my W211 I took it down to my local tyre place today and he has stated that one of the rears are out of shape and the other 3 are worn badly on the inside so he says all 4 need replacing.

Is this normal behaviour on a W211? My guy says as its a heavy car they can wear on the inside.

So this leads to looking at tyres, my shortlist is the below but if anyone has suggestions or opinions please feel free to offer.

Given that the W211 is aimed at comfort, I would want a tire that is the quietest, I would hope the below offer good fuel efficiency and wet grip anyway.

Kumho Ecsta Sport KU31
Falken ZE914
Pirelli P7 Cinturino
Michelin Primacy 3

Any advice much appreciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If they are more than 1mm out across the width of the tyre, then get the camber checked

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Hi all,

Having suffering from vibration on the rear of my W211 I took it down to my local tyre place today and he has stated that one of the rears are out of shape and the other 3 are worn badly on the inside so he says all 4 need replacing.

Is this normal behaviour on a W211? My guy says as its a heavy car they can wear on the inside.

So this leads to looking at tyres, my shortlist is the below but if anyone has suggestions or opinions please feel free to offer.

Given that the W211 is aimed at comfort, I would want a tire that is the quietest, I would hope the below offer good fuel efficiency and wet grip anyway.

Kumho Ecsta Sport KU31
Falken ZE914
Pirelli P7 Cinturino
Michelin Primacy 3

Any advice much appreciated.

I find that the tyres wear slightly more on the outsides.
If they're badly worn on the inside, then you must have a mechanical &/or geometry problem.

I have Michelin Primacies, and find them very good in all respects.

amb67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C220 Coupe AMG, E320 CDI (S211), Aprilia RSVR
Find your local wheel alignment centre that uses the Hunter equipment, had mine done not long back and it transormed the feel of the front end. Not to mention the effect it had on tyre wear, I can get more than 4000 miles out of the front tyres now.

OP
M

MLAM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 220 CDi (Facelift)
Find your local wheel alignment centre that uses the Hunter equipment, had mine done not long back and it transormed the feel of the front end. Not to mention the effect it had on tyre wear, I can get more than 4000 miles out of the front tyres now.
Hi amb67,

The nearest one to me is 40 odd miles away,

I'm quite near Micheldever Tyres thought who I believe have John Bean alignment which I've read is on par with Hunter systems.

Is there any reason to think the John Bean is a lesser system to hunter?

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
A knowledgeable operator is also a rare find and essential I would say

amb67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C220 Coupe AMG, E320 CDI (S211), Aprilia RSVR
I honestly don't know if the difference would matter, all I know is that my local Bosch service centre had a Hunter system that was recommended by people on this forum to resolve my tyre wear issues.

It did and in doing so transformed the way the car handled and felt.

I think one of the reasons I went with my Bosch centre is that they have well trained staff and charge very reasonable prices.

Hi amb67,

The nearest one to me is 40 odd miles away,

I'm quite near Micheldever Tyres thought who I believe have John Bean alignment which I've read is on par with Hunter systems.

Is there any reason to think the John Bean is a lesser system to hunter?

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
had a Hunter system that was recommended by people on this forum to resolve my tyre wear issues.

It did and in doing so transformed the way the car handled and felt.

Likewise. Mine drove like a pig after some muppets did the front suspension. Got them to cough for it, changed the way it drove entirely.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom