1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing kenwood headunit in 2008 W639 Vito

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by Sross, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Sross

Sross New Member

Your Mercedes:
    Vito / 2008 / W639 111cdi
    Hello!

I am planning on replacing my AUDIO 20 head unit with a kenwood DDX 4021BT, basically a Bluetooth head unit. The reason for the choice of unit is simple:
    1. Kenwood make a fitting kit that should (?) ensure a professional and seemless finished result (CAW-2190-18-RT)

2. Ken wood make an integration kit for the steering wheel controls. (CCW-CCAMME3 / CAW-CANUN1) based on the assumption that my vehicle has ISO and not Fakra connections?

Have any of you performed a similar installation?
    Is it as simple as it would seem to be? (ie no soldering / cutting of wires)

Is the assumption of iso as oppose to fakra correct in a vehicle of this age?

Is there anything else I need to purchase before installing?

Any tips greatfully received! :)

2. npuk

npuk Guest

No it will have a fakra connection for antenna and quadlock for the stereo. Your kit should include converters.

Alternative would be to upgrade to the newer NTG2.5 based Audio 20 unit which has full bluetooth built in.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2012
  3. Miffy

Miffy Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
    Sorry I cant really help. I replaced my Comand2 with a Kenwood unit. But this was in my 2002 C208. It was more or less a easy swap with only a switched live added to complete the install. I would never go back to a Comand system after using a decent aftermarket HU.

4. Comand

Comand Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    ML63, SL55, A150, X5, Raptor, ZX10, ZRX1100, Mini, RD350B, RD250B
    There are a number of companies that make the fascia adapter you need. Pays to shop around. Your existing audio unti will be quadlock so you will need a quadlock to ISO loom converter. You may need antenna converters also because the Kenwood may not take the black fakra that your existing unit has.

Steering wheel controls are again available from a few places. Whilst these will allow the controls to work you wont get any display in the cluster from the headunit.

The newer NTG 2.5 comand units have state of the art Navigation, bluetooth and DVD cpability. Plus they integrate fully with the cluster and the steering wheel. Used prices are about the same as a Kenwood or an Alpine unit.