Instrument Cluster 300D

rbarrett

Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the instrument cluster on a 300D without the special tools that are shown in the manual... can these tools be fabricated easily??Thanks, R. Barrett:confused::confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You can make the hooks from wire clothes hanger or buy them on Ebay, on some if there is room you can push them out from the rear, with hooks make sure that you are behind the cluster and not the glass.

OP
R

rbarrett

Reaction score
Thanks... I am not there just yet... still struggling with the steering wheel. I have had it off before but it was a long time ago... Thanks again!! R.Barrett:p

OP
R

rbarrett

Reaction score
There... I got the cluster out... thanks... Next question... Does the air bag on the passenger side have to come out before the dashboard can be removed...? It is not addressed in the manual that I can find. If it had a glove compartment, it would be simpler. There are some fasteners behind the glove compartment and I was figuring that the fasteners would be behind the air bag...?? I am sure that the bottom of the dashboard on the passenger side must be removed. R.Barrett :confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Owing to the complications can you tell me what part you want to remove

OP
R

rbarrett

Reaction score
Yes... The evaporator... it is a long way down in there. I am at the point right now of trying to figure out how to "turn" the ignition lock. I cannot find the pin that the manual tells you to press in order to turn the lock so the cross member can be removed. I will get it... a matter of time... Still, if there is an easier way to remove the evaporator, I like some advice (other than taking it to a shop... I can mess it up myself!)lol... R.Barrett:rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will have all of that info,,so the car is a 124 300d

OP
R

rbarrett

Reaction score
Yes.. a 124 300D. Just as I posted that last thread, I went back out there and gave it another look and found the pin, turned the lock and removed the crossmember... I swear I looked at that thing for forty minutes and didn't see it... I guess the next thing is to start skinnin' out the box to get to the evap... I am wondering, though...does the whole plastic box come out with the evap and heater core together or can the evap be taken out without removing the whole big black box containing both the heater and the evap...??:confused:R.Barrett

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will print off now for you all of the work involved, it will take me 10-15 mins and I can email it to you

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why not activate your Email address in your user CP and save the changes at the bottom

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have all of the info for for the complete job

Top Bottom