Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

GoldorSilver

Reaction score
What year is you car ?

They would not do my 2001 model

It is a W220 S320 CDi 51 Plate 140K.

Got told 3 times NO by the dealership then I told them I have been on here and had lots of people that had got it sorted eventually. The contacted MB and put to them my case and they came back to me 6 hrs later with a yes ok we will stand the cost. They did the "auto" ask for money on the computer and it came back no. I spoke with MB UK and then asked the dealer to speak with the same person and eventually it was ok.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good one,,pleased that it worked for you :D:D

amwebby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W215
Just jumped in my car today and the same thing happened to me. Car started OK but the dash display went out as soon as I started up. Drove round the corner, parked up and when I came back out all was working OK and has been OK since. I phoned local dealer who advised no outstanding recall notices on my car. Is this fault intermittent as I have just experienced or is this something else?

Chas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320
Last edited:

amwebby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W215
Thanks. Not sure if it's broken yet however and, if it is, I'l have a damn good go at getting Mercedes-Benz to pay up. Mine seemed to behave in reverse to yours, going off when cold and coming back on, presumably after heating up.

matteb63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl 500s & CLS500 with LPG conversions
Help lights gone out

Yesterday eve the illumination disappeared from my instrument cluster. Suddenly those speedy cameras look ominous.
Has anyone managed to replace the bulbs in these or is there a simple fix. I dont really want to replace the whole unit! cost and time prohibitive..seems a shame when all the main info appears on the dash just no lighting.
Is there a way to remove the cluster with a thin knife or something?
My chasis number is not on recall and the cluster was replaced after failure by Mercedes in 2005.....Cl500 Y reg.......WDB215375A014550

Argus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 Brilliant Blue/Grey, M274
The same thing has just happened on my W220. The repair is not as simple as replacing some bulbs I'm afraid, illumination is by a fluorescent type lamp. I believe what usually happens is that a transformer and/or a couple of transistors (BUZ102S I think) fail thereby providing no high voltage for the fluorescent.
These components can be obtained for a total of about 60 quid but replacement is a delicate business, the multi layer circuit board can easily be damaged by soldering iron heat, as can adjacent components.
There are a number of companies that repair these clusters, prices are in the order of 150-160 pounds but this requires sending the unit away with a turn around time of 4-5 working days.
I am currently considering my options and I'm in negotiation with one company to do the repair while I wait.
As for removing the cluster on my W220 it's a question of using the Merc radio removal keys - there is a slot on each side at the bottom of the cluster.
Hope you get it sorted satisfactorily.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
My replacement cluster has now given up the ghost and isnt working, i rang MB and they said to bring it in and we will check if it is covered by the recall..It has already been done.. yes but we still need to check it..
So when I get time ...

Argus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Must be the weather, or something in the air.... three cluster failures in as many days :shock::shock:
Mine has also already been changed under the recall so I'm not taking mine back to the main dealer, I'll just wear the 150 quid bill to get it fixed.

matteb63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just found a company that will repair and 2 years warranty £150 so I guess this is the way to go ...Can it be anything else causing the problem...hate to send it away only to discover after re-installation this aint the problem.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Just found a company that will repair and 2 years warranty £150 so I guess this is the way to go ...Can it be anything else causing the problem...hate to send it away only to discover after re-installation this aint the problem.

Care to share the company name and possibly a web link?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many indies on here now use www.actronics.co.uk

For the 220 they take £127 plus VAT and a 2 year warranty

They also do the 168,202,203,208,209,210,211, 215,638,639, sprinter

matteb63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ah yes if you send me £ 75 I will be more than happy to share the web link lol.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....024522&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_982wt_1139

Two sites on eBay £150 and £155...REVTRONIC out of Bradford & ACTRONICS out of colechester

Appears to be fault with the vogt or bosch power transformers on the clusters worldwide..you can pick them up for £20 new but fitting apparently can be difficult with standard soldering irons..you can fry other components

Any ways if anyone has used either of the repairers mentioned please post to the forum
Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ah yes if you send me £ 75 I will be more than happy to share the web link lol.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....024522&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_982wt_1139

Two sites on eBay £150 and £155...REVTRONIC out of Bradford & ACTRONICS out of colechester

Appears to be fault with the vogt or bosch power transformers on the clusters worldwide..you can pick them up for £20 new but fitting apparently can be difficult with standard soldering irons..you can fry other components

Any ways if anyone has used either of the repairers mentioned please post to the forum
Thanks

I am always happy to fit one of these transformer as a test project

matteb63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My instrument cluster is coming out on one side just with a little hand pull but the other side is locked..can I use a plastic tie or something ..is there a knack or do I have to send away for a special tool?

Argus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As an update, I took my instrument cluster to Cluster Repairs UK in Great Yarmouth (they also have a branch in North London). They did the repair/refurb while I waited - about two hours. The repair comes with a two year warranty and the cluster is working properly again.

http://www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk

russellspayne

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AG 2002
Malcolm
I have a E220 CDi 02 plate Avant Garde Estate,,,, have issues with back lighting issues and also the clock and temp have gone strange only part of the LED is showing making it unreadable....

So Brains... would this be covered under warranty... prob not I think... so is there an easy DIY fix.... if yes details please

Thanks Russell

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom