Insurance for the elderly

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
Insurance quotes unfathomable!!! My wife has just added our daughter to the insurance, Ford Fusion 1.6, for a few weeks, cost less than a fiver!!!!

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Insurance quotes unfathomable!!! My wife has just added our daughter to the insurance, Ford Fusion 1.6, for a few weeks, cost less than a fiver!!!!
A few years ago we wanted to add my 21year old daughter to my wifes insurance on a Corsa, we only wanted 2 weeks whilst she was home from uni and were quoted about £40!

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Immediately after the girls passed their tests the monthly payment for Mrs D's insurance went from £18 for her plus me named to £80 for just one girl added!

They have their own cars now and are thankfully(at 20 & 22) chipping away down from the initial £1700 premiums.

mercedes dentist

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1983 280SL 1990 500SEC
1.Have you tried L.V. BRIAN ?
2. 5000 miles p.a. seems too low to be running a diesel, me thinks.

Regards
John
My wife and I have been with R&H for many years, our 280SL with the 500sec is just under £300 a year, my special with BMW engine and triple webers is £160 with Adrian Flux is £160, I am 87 and my wife is 84

OP
B

BrianTompkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC250 d AMG Line
Yes, I find insurance companies unfathomable. As I reported I decided to stick with Esure at £621, most companies quoted stupid or refused because of my age to consider my application.

Amusingly GoCompare have just reminded me that my insurance is coming up for renewal on the recently disposed MX5 .mk 4. They list dozens of companies willing to quote. Esure is the cheapest £217 followed by at least another dozen under £300. So Mercedes, age is a problem, MX 5.....age isn't.

Hence it would appear that it is mainly the make of car, apart from the difference in value, say £18,000 against £26,000 and the Mercedes being a little bit more powerful everything else is the same.

And I sure ain't getting any younger, so it can't be that.;)

Footnote.

Parkers list the Mazda Sports Nav 1.5 as Insurance group 24, the SLC 250 d group 47 and the SLS a mere 50, That SLS in Wakefield is looking more attractive by the minute.

Last edited:

mercedes dentist

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1983 280SL 1990 500SEC
Interesting. Which insurance company is this with? Although I don't know if the difference between your 05 CLK and my 2017 SLK 250d AMG line, £270 against £621, and I don't know about yours but my missus is also on the policy.

You are right re the differences on comparison sites. Although just got a quote from John Lewis £1012, don't think they will price match on this one. :)
Our 280SL and 500 sec are with EFS and have been since 1986, £400 for the 2,with agreed value My RangeRover is with Admiral, always found them very helpful and a good price, I am 87 and my wife is 84

OP
B

BrianTompkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC250 d AMG Line
Up date.

A year older and renewal time coming round. Just did a Co Compare to find my insurance is quoted at £812 with Esure as opposed to £621 last year. Only difference, I and the wife are a year older. Seems a bit steep, been with them claim free for nearly twenty years. General accident are quoting £412, think I shall wait for Esure's official renewal quote and then start haggling or change.

Incidentally another dozen or so quotes in the £600 range.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Up date.

A year older and renewal time coming round. Just did a Co Compare to find my insurance is quoted at £812 with Esure as opposed to £621 last year. Only difference, I and the wife are a year older. Seems a bit steep, been with them claim free for nearly twenty years. General accident are quoting £412, think I shall wait for Esure's official renewal quote and then start haggling or change.

Incidentally another dozen or so quotes in the £600 range.
Insurance companies rely on renewals to make money, they offer discounts for new business but premium hikes for those individuals who just renew. Almost always pays to change (or at least run a new quote through one of the myriad comparethemeerkatconfusedsupermarket.gone)

OP
B

BrianTompkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC250 d AMG Line
Insurance companies rely on renewals to make money, they offer discounts for new business but premium hikes for those individuals who just renew. Almost always pays to change (or at least run a new quote through one of the myriad comparethemeerkatconfusedsupermarket.gone)

Yes this is true. However the go compare quote for " new" insurance with Esure is £812 against the £621 that I paid last year. If what you say is true heaven knows what they will quote in their invitation to renew offer.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom