INSURANCE quotes ?

Omega

Reaction score
For the past few years, I've shopped around for my insurance every year.

When I bought this car, I was attracted to the Mercedes own Insurance cover - albeit at twice the price that I was about to go for.

Only one question - is it worth the extra ?

I'm in Cornwall,,,,,, don't get out of the County much. I'm retired and don't use the car every day. I've never made a claim and get some pretty decent quotes. For eg: my last car (a 124) was only costing me about £120 f.c.

'Searched' quotes for the 211 were just over £220/50. For some reason tho', I went with Mercedes and paid over £450,,,,,,,,,

Is it really worth it ?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
For the past few years, I've shopped around for my insurance every year.

When I bought this car, I was attracted to the Mercedes own Insurance cover - albeit at twice the price that I was about to go for.

Only one question - is it worth the extra ?

I'm in Cornwall,,,,,, don't get out of the County much. I'm retired and don't use the car every day. I've never made a claim and get some pretty decent quotes. For eg: my last car (a 124) was only costing me about £120 f.c.

'Searched' quotes for the 211 were just over £220/50. For some reason tho', I went with Mercedes and paid over £450,,,,,,,,,

Is it really worth it ?
Personally I doubt it, what differences are there in the T&C's. Have you tried the link from the banner in the top right ___^ ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I am with MB insurance and pay the same as you, I will take a look around

OP
Omega

Omega

Reaction score
They make a big play of using genuine mercedes parts and genuine mercedes tradesmen etc,,,,,,,, but I guess that all reputable companies would use the same,,,, after all,,,, they'd hardly put Ford parts on 'em !?

Maybe the 'New Car' syndrome softened my brain for a while,,,,,

Will dig the policy out shortly & look through the features again.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Personally I doubt it, what differences are there in the T&C's. Have you tried the link from the banner in the top right ___^ ?

i tried them when mine was to renew in march. they wanted an extra £350 on top of what im paying now! i already have breakdown cover and theres plenty of no win no fee solicitors out there so i dont need legal expenses! also there excesses were much higher. (£150 to be exact) they may be ompetitive for more mature drivers or people with garages to keep their car in, but for me, no garage, 33yrs old, single, they werent competitive enough

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
I'm with MB .... they priced matched my cheapest quote ........(£105 apart)

Mind you, this is the 1st cover in my own name for 20 years .......... after my company cars ..........

The're cover is really top draw .... but you do pay for it, if you let em !

Last edited:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Mercedes quoted me over £750 for insurance when I can get it for as little as £258 elsewhere. No contest.

Russ

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
For anyone over 50 -Saga is the best --I looked on net(compare)-and found cheaper quotes than the last renewal rang them and they matched it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
For anyone over 50 -Saga is the best --I looked on net(compare)-and found cheaper quotes than the last renewal rang them and they matched it.

Saga were more than £500 over the MB price, and £300 more on the V70R and I am 74

OP
Omega

Omega

Reaction score

I've been trying SAGA for almost everything since I was 50. So far, they have not been cheaper ON ANY ITEM in my case.

My neighbour & my B-in-Law had the same results.

I don't bother trying any more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Over the past 5 years, i've used:
Hastings
Post Office (£50 cash-back)
Kwik Save
Peoples Choice
Churchill (wanted £45 to change policy PLUS extra £190 if I added alloys)
(I know that they belong to bigger underwriters)

They all gave a reasonable FIRST year quote, but 'priced themselves out' the following year. It seems as if they think that once they've hooked you, they can treat you like kak.

Made my mind up to shop around again next time - I doubt if MB will bother trying to compete.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
"MB" insurance is just a marketing gimmick. NOTHING MORE!!!!!
Dont be conned.
If they're competitive then by all means go for it, it will be a reputable ins co, but don't pay extra for the privilege.
Sure they will only fit genuine merc parts, but so will Direct Line and Frizzell. Its a meaningless offer. Have you ever heard an ins co fitting pattern panels or copy suspension components?

Having argued with Audi insurance about our Audi going to an Audi approved bodyshop, I now realise it doesn't mean a thing. It was actually "Equity Red Star" and we were treated exactly the same as any other customer. Use our 'approved' bodyshops and get a free loan car - roughly translated - Use a bodyshop we've screwed a good discount from and we have a deal with them where you'll get one of their loan cars. The 'guaranteed loan car' offer is actually just this. They never had any intention of providing a car themselves. Only when we threatened them with legal action did they agree for the car to go to an Audi approved shop (but not approved by them) and because Audi didn't have a loan car available, after several more threatening calls, they finally, very reluctantly, agreed to hire us something.

So, go on price and how much you trust the actual insurance company - not the name on the letterhead. MB insurance is probably the same firm as Audi, Ford and Skoda insurance. Aside from a kick back, it has no connection to Mercedes benz.

EGBM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS 320 CDI
Try Admiral Multicar if you want to insure more than just the MB. Got our CLS quote down from £460 to £363 and the voluntary excess down from £500 (!) to £150. The other car's annual insurance is also lower. Obviously works on the idea you present each vehicle with a lower risk overall I assume.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Good post Jberks ....... broadly you are sinically correct

However, MB insurance is through Norwich Union, and is a seperate "office" ........ or probably a section in an open plan office ............ MB authorised repairers for bodywork....... and MB "equevelant" car as the loaner, and not the bodyshops ford Ka ......... unusual, but true ............ however I would'nt pay extra for it .... next year, who knows who I'll be with ........... if they aint the cheapest, I will try a price match again....if they won't match ....... I'm offski !!

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
MB quoted me just over £750 for mine in march. went on the net and got covered for £430. hastings direct. excess was also down from £350 to £200. thats a 33yr old single guy with no garage, SP30 on my license, car parked on the street in Carlisle!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom