Insurer asking for more details - I don't insure with them...

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Interesting.. this is a bit scary alright.

I use a company called Noddle (Now owned by Credit Karma) - it's free and I can log in every so often to see info on my credit file.. they also show searches from insurers when it comes to insurance.

I would suggest signing up and keeping one eye on your credit file. Experian also offer a superior paid product which could be worth it for a while.

If somebody has your details, they might try and take out some credit in your name also.

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Interesting.. this is a bit scary alright.

I use a company called Noddle (Now owned by Credit Karma) - it's free and I can log in every so often to see info on my credit file.. they also show searches from insurers when it comes to insurance.

I would suggest signing up and keeping one eye on your credit file. Experian also offer a superior paid product which could be worth it for a while.

If somebody has your details, they might try and take out some credit in your name also.

I already have Experian and Credit Karma. Credit Karma is far better on the detail you get for free though they all lag a bit behind real time.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Do keep a close eye on it though- it took me almost two years to recover from an ID theft - they used my n/address as ‘previous’ to rent an apartment and applied to open a/c with bld society...

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do keep a close eye on it though- it took me almost two years to recover from an ID theft - they used my n/address as ‘previous’ to rent an apartment and applied to open a/c with bld society...

It's scary stuff.. I believe identity theft can be devastating!

Keep Schtum

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLE 300d AMG Line - New Shape
I had something really similar happen to me, my mail was being intercepted. Set up insurance using a card that had come in the post to cover a car that had been stolen on fake plates. I'd report it to the Police asap

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh yes, glad you said that Keep Schtum

Conor:

At the very least (and I had to be insistent to get it) they will register it and give you a crime reference number - which you will need if you need to contact another person or institution. My villain’s second job was with a building society and I really had to fight to get the details taken off MY credit record (the crime ref helped with that).

I wasn’t too impressed with their response - which was initially “What do you want us to do about it?” so be prepared for lack of enthusiasm!

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...

Conor:

At the very least (and I had to be insistent to get it) they will register it and give you a crime reference number - which you will need if you need to contact another person or institution. My villain’s second job was with a building society and I really had to fight to get the details taken off MY credit record (the crime ref helped with that).

I wasn’t too impressed with their response - which was initially “What do you want us to do about it?” so be prepared for lack of enthusiasm!

Already done..

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Conor:

Well, a mate was telling me recently that the credit reference agencies had inconsistent data on him.. I told him to mention good old "GDPR" to them.... in GDPR there is provisions for companies to represent you accurately, meaning the information the give to others must be accurate and representative at point in time.

I'm not sure he did, but some heavy wording with the right words can be very effective. Especially since GDPR is still a hot topic, legally speaking.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AFAIK my problems started off with some oik picking my name and address off the electoral register. The "joke" was that shortly afterwards, my own Building Soc was wrote to me and said they'd had am application from someone at my address and assumed it wasn't me so they had refused it.

Later, I wanted the details removed from my personal credit history and they said "Doh!...but our records show that you applied..." As my BP rose I started writing letter 2 of 5... And in the meantime I obtained a letter of apology from the council in the NW who opened an account for "me" and let out an apartment without following their own ID procedures (that only took 3 letters)! I decided not to sue over that and eventually a "higher-up" in the Building Soc came back and told me they'd removed the details from my record. In turn, I put a required password code on my "big-3" credit records - which the credit companies advise.

Funnily enough a year later we were in a department store that offered 25% off a set of suitcases that we wanted - if we opened a card account. They did not request the password I'd registered and I cancelled the account as soon as the cards arrived!

We have been totally neurotic about destroying mail including junk ever since.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom