Intelligent light system inoperative

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Does that mean you have to carry a spare headlamp in countries where the law requires spare bulbs to be carried?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Don't bother arguing with unbelievers, ILS is the best ever improvement to car lighting and ranks against ABS as the best car safety improvement in eons, that is why it will be standard on all cars soon.

Russ
Who said I was a none believer?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Does that mean you have to carry a spare headlamp in countries where the law requires spare bulbs to be carried?
It does if the car as homolgated has replaceable lamps as service items. If they don’t then it doesn’t apply.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I was anti the price as a consequence of the complexity .....
That price only applies if it fails. The probability of failure is several thousand times less than with halogen so the impact on the market is a case of if, not when. It’s a bit like saying “engine replacement costs so much nowadays”- when the probability of mechanical engine failure is in the thousandths of a percent. So your argument, as you well know, is a bit of a straw man one.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But you have to say that ...... ;)
If I ever part with my money & buy a CLS estate, shooting brake, I'll know one way or t'other
I don’t have to. I say it because I have a little knowledge in that area and because I know how the fact and data works. If it was a gimmick IMNAAHO then I’d say so. It isn’t, the stuff happening in automotive lighting design (in this country, I’d add) is jaw- dropping. Imagine a set of headlights that are also your front parking sensors and Distronic sensors. Or that can flash a red warning message on walls/ pavement if the alarm goes off. Or allow for unhackable data transfer to the internet via streetlights. Or act as toll tags or garage door openers.

Remember, no matter your personal beliefs cars are going down the same vein as everything else due to general technological movement. Interconnectedness. People want music in their cars? AM/FM went to 8- tracks, went to DAT cassettes, to CD and now to solid state. I firmly believe that with increasing bandwidth the solid state option for data storage will slim down as data moves to the cloud. TV broadcasts are moving to the internet. Sky TV will cease satellite broadcasts and move to the internet in 3 years. So, cars fall into that paradigm in a whole load of ways.

You’ll just LOVE autonomous drive I know....

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs

There is no such law in France.
The Ferry companies etc will tell you there is and sell you spare bulb kits, as will Halfords etc.
The police will not let you carry on a journey once stopped with a bulb out until it is fixed but no one has ever been prosecuted for not having spare bulbs.

Russ

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
You should have ALS (adaptive lighting system) not ILS I believe in your 216.

Hi Craig
I have according to MBs Electronic Data Sheet, supplied by MB.
Code 621 Intell. Light System w. bi-xenon (RHD veh)
... is that what you call ILS?

God help you; if this lot starts going wrong £££££££

And
Code K11 Adaptive brake light, flashing” -

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I don’t have to. I say it because I have a little knowledge in that area and because I know how the fact and data works. If it was a gimmick IMNAAHO then I’d say so. It isn’t, the stuff happening in automotive lighting design (in this country, I’d add) is jaw- dropping. Imagine a set of headlights that are also your front parking sensors and Distronic sensors. Or that can flash a red warning message on walls/ pavement if the alarm goes off. Or allow for unhackable data transfer to the internet via streetlights. Or act as toll tags or garage door openers.

Remember, no matter your personal beliefs cars are going down the same vein as everything else due to general technological movement. Interconnectedness. People want music in their cars? AM/FM went to 8- tracks, went to DAT cassettes, to CD and now to solid state. I firmly believe that with increasing bandwidth the solid state option for data storage will slim down as data moves to the cloud. TV broadcasts are moving to the internet. Sky TV will cease satellite broadcasts and move to the internet in 3 years. So, cars fall into that paradigm in a whole load of ways.

You’ll just LOVE autonomous drive I know....

But isnt it such a shame that the current audio quality is now appalling. :(
With DTS Master Audio and Bluray drives, it could be awesome if they just used mid 90s amps and Dynaudio (the mid 90s) speakers.
But then, I dont think the current iMusic mob even know what audiophile systems sound like.....

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
There is no such law in France.
The Ferry companies etc will tell you there is and sell you spare bulb kits, as will Halfords etc.
The police will not let you carry on a journey once stopped with a bulb out until it is fixed but no one has ever been prosecuted for not having spare bulbs.

Russ
That would be so impractical, if you lost a xenon on mine, it would mean the bumper off and half the front end dismantled.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had a quick look and found a video of the bi xenon ILS. I think this is what would normally be classed as Adaptive Front Lighting. Bendy beam and auto high beam, but not moving black spot.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As re audio, we now have cars like the new Nissan Micra with Bose, so I don’t know about appalling... I’d say the quality is going up not down.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
As re audio, we now have cars like the new Nissan Micra with Bose, so I don’t know about appalling... I’d say the quality is going up not down.

Interestingly, I think the sound quality of DAB radio is woeful. The Government said they wanted to get rid of FM & DAB was the answer with high quality digital radio for everyone. But, now we have 5 or 6 digital channels broadcast over the same DAB bandwith at very low quality to keep the cost down. FM was far superior.

Russ

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Ok I should have qualified that.
In basic car stereo, the soynd has improved.
But in audiophile terms, the stuff we did to cars in the late 90’s with true Audiophile Class A Amplifiers was truely awesome.
Earth shattering sound, bass beyond belif and 0.01 THD ... you couldnt hear the distortion. So £3000 kit delivered an exquisite sound out of Soundstream ( not their current tat ) and DLS amps circa 1,000 watts rms
So when I see Burmeister upgrades at £7,000 (give me a break) for about 15% of the quality.
And DLS stuff lasts forever, and if it went wrong ... never ever heard of one breaking! Then they could be me ded for circa £50.
Oh and these had beautiful polished sold finned alloy casing no galvanised steel boxes.
Eg wife circa 2006 still note perfect.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yup. And what has happened is that not enough people turned out to give that much of a sod about top end audio quality to make the cost investment in the parts worth it. So, the cost was reduced dramatically to the point at which people ordering cars from main dealers would be prepared to pay (machine polished alloy casing to pressed steel is a 5-600% reduction for that part alone), and along with it, the audio quality reduced.

At the same time, as we’ve noticed before, the lower end of the market has made significant inroads into improvement of quality to the point where we’re seeing BOSE installed in a B segment hatchback.

So the gap has closed a lot and the market discovered that it wasn’t willing to support extreme price points for very high end sound system quality, when 85% of that quality (not the 15% you claim) is available for 15% of the cost).

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yup. And what has happened is that not enough people turned out to give that much of a sod about top end audio quality to make the cost investment in the parts worth it. So, the cost was reduced dramatically to the point at which people ordering cars from main dealers would be prepared to pay (machine polished alloy casing to pressed steel is a 5-600% reduction for that part alone), and along with it, the audio quality reduced.

At the same time, as we’ve noticed before, the lower end of the market has made significant inroads into improvement of quality to the point where we’re seeing BOSE installed in a B segment hatchback.

So the gap has closed a lot and the market discovered that it wasn’t willing to support extreme price points for very high end sound system quality, when 85% of that quality (not the 15% you claim) is available for 15% of the cost.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

So the gap has closed a lot and the market discovered that it wasn’t willing to support extreme price points for very high end sound system quality, when 85% of that quality (not the 15% you claim) is available for 15% of the cost.

Guess you have never heard a true audiphile set up.
These Burmeister upgrades , and that is the additional cost on top of an included system are like £7,000, and they sound utter rubbish, turn them up and they distort like crap.
A 1,000 watt true RMS Class A Amp I am talking about was about £800.
£2000 and you got a stunning system.

And if the rumour is true the Burmeister are built to the same standard as HK ..... god help us!

Sorry mate in comparison they are rip off Utter crap!

Sure a nice little bose system in a B class might be a good thing for the great unwashed!
But when you are talking £7000 for an UPGRADE, it should be utterly stunning with DTS Master audio disc capability.

When I was young they were just phasing out 8 track, along came Metal Fe Cassettes a huge improvement , then CD another huge improvement.
And then DTS Master-audio on Bluray. A Great improvement again.

And suddenly its all iTunes mpg sh*te

Had this argument with a bunch of kids last Christmas ... they basically said I was a dinasour living in the past.

So on a bet £1 against £50 , 3 popped over to my house and listened to DTS Master Audio, with Dynaudio Speakers and Bryston Amps.

All were shell shocked, and voluntarily handed over their £1s I didnt even have ask.
Words like ... “jesus you should hear that system, unbeleivable , you could turn it up till it felt like someone had punched you in the stomach and it didnt distort at all”

I geel bitter becuase with todays electronics its too risky to mess with it so class mfgs should offer quality.

Give it another generation and they wont even know what they are missing!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom