interesting info on USA speed limits

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
was looking at speed limit data for USA found this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_the_United_States_by_jurisdiction

seems montana had "proper rules" for speeding with no numbers pre 74 and post 96 till the lawyers messed it all up as usual.

784px-MONTANA-PR.svg.png

also, they have release the video of uber killing an idiot woman walking a bicycle in pitch black across a road. if you were driving you would 100% have hit her.... but this system should 100% have known she was there and stopped EASILY

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
The Uber driver is liable because he was not watching the road, even if it could be argued that he would still have hit her if he had been watching the road.

Quite how the self driving car did not see her is a concern since, I presume, it does not need an object to be lit to be seen.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
The Uber driver is liable because he was not watching the road, even if it could be argued that he would still have hit her if he had been watching the road.

Quite how the self driving car did not see her is a concern since, I presume, it does not need an object to be lit to be seen.
Is he liable? What is the liability with something like this? Is it not the manufacturer of the vehicle whose safety system failed that is liable, i llken this to brakes failing on a car.....is the driver or the manufacturer liable.? Is it not reasonable to expect that the brakes will work when needed and hence also reasonable for a self driving cars safety system to also work when required?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Is he liable? What is the liability with something like this? Is it not the manufacturer of the vehicle whose safety system failed that is liable, i llken this to brakes failing on a car.....is the driver or the manufacturer liable.? Is it not reasonable to expect that the brakes will work when needed and hence also reasonable for a self driving cars safety system to also work when required?
As there are no rules governing self driving vehicles the driver will be the one responsible as current law in most countries deems the driver must maintain control of the vehicle at all times.
It's also clear from the footage the driver wasn't paying attention to the road. His eyes were clearly not looking at the road and this is a massive issue with semi autonomous vehicles.

OP
B

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
.... this state has allowed trials of self driving cars with the proviso that there's a person in the car keeping an eye on stuff.
I was worried the driver was distracted / asleep etc. however whilst not sitting in a state of paranoia waiting to control an unexpected incident "she" does appear to be looking regularly, and is quite possibly studying a computer screen of what the car is doing when not looking out the screen. I would go as far as to say in a car designed to do this easily, she was more attentive than I would expect most others would be...

if this was an ordinary driver with a dash cam looking only out the front, I would put the fault 100% with the cyclists. what was she thinking ?

and as I said earlier the car should have stopped without any effort.... this is exactly the type of situation that self driving cars can get right 100% of the time and make the roads much safer. As this didn't, Uber's technology is woefully inadequate and they need locking up!!!

Last edited:
OP
B

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
she actually looks to the right where the cyclist starts to cross the road shortly before the crash ! maybe the computer did pick something up, she then glances to check (out the front) can't see anything (coz not visible) looks back at the computer, its potentially throwing teddies (but car isn't reacting) and then see's her hit what the computer spotted.

if that's anywhere close to correct that's a computer / braking relationship that has broken down in a very disturbing manner
I feel sorry for the uber driver, the cyclist sadly deserved it !!!

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
Did the tester not spot the cyclists feet? White trainers stood out look a sore thumb, sorry really bad pun there.

OP
B

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
her trainers become visible IF you know where to look at a distance than means you won't even have lifted off the throttle

numbers below from google, lets pretend you are well above average driver with great tyres, you can halve those numbers, you still hit her hard.....

40 mph
Reaction Distance
59 feet
Braking Distance
80 feet

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The fundamental question here is whether an average driver would reasonably have expected to avoid the accident.
Looking at that video I very much doubt it.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
but a driverless car is designed to detect ! humans are not so by rights the car should definitely not of hit her no matter what

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
but a driverless car is designed to detect ! humans are not so by rights the car should definitely not of hit her no matter what
But as it stands thats not the expectation the law has as autonomy has no statutes at this time.
Ergo if the car is not mandated to detect a human and the human has to be 'in control' at all times (in a supervisory manner much like being on cruise) and the human could not reasonably have been expected to see the pedestrian then the autonomy cannot be held accountable in law. The driver is in theory accountable as he is required to be in control of the vehicle.
At that point the question becomes could the driver have reasonably prevented the accident and in that case I would say no, in which case the pedestrian must shoulder a large proportion of the responsibility for failing to take steps to prevent the accident (especially as it looks as though they were jaywalking - itself an offence in the US).

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
It is. To a certain range.

So are humans. At night, usually to the range of the headlamp beam pattern.

So the question is, how much further ahead should the Uber robovehicle have been able to detect that cyclist than the meat puppet in the driver’s seat could? At the range she became visible (and the speed the car was going, on a main two lane highway) it would have been extremely unlikely that a human could have avoided hitting her.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I would think " certain range " would be stopping distance at the speed limit ? though I saw the promo video for Volvo's auto stopping system which ploughed into the back of a parked arctic wagon at 30mph and that was under test conditions o_O , I cant see a future for autonomous vehicles as there are too many variables for them to cope with but that wont stop them trying

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I would think " certain range " would be stopping distance at the speed limit ? though I saw the promo video for Volvo's auto stopping system which ploughed into the back of a parked arctic wagon at 30mph and that was under test conditions o_O , I cant see a future for autonomous vehicles as there are too many variables for them to cope with but that wont stop them trying
Right. So, if the cyclist stepped into the path of the oncoming car ten feet before it then the “scan range” is meaningless.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You won't be the first to deny something is possible only to have it happen. I bet Wilbur and Orville Wright never thought planes could take off, navigate thousands of miles then land again by themselves either. That scenario is pretty commonplace these days and most commercial airliners have the capability.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
You won't be the first to deny something is possible only to have it happen. I bet Wilbur and Orville Wright never thought planes could take off, navigate thousands of miles then land again by themselves either. That scenario is pretty commonplace these days and most commercial airliners have the capability.
Auto pilot on a plane is so much simpler than on a car, let alone a whole motorway of cars travelling inches from each other. I too do not see it happening in any meaningful way.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Auto pilot on a plane is so much simpler than on a car, let alone a whole motorway of cars travelling inches from each other. I too do not see it happening in any meaningful way.
Of course it will. Its just a question of the right technology and programming.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Huge amounts of time, money and manpower are going into this all over the globe. It’s a technical problem. It can be solved.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Huge amounts of time, money and manpower are going into this all over the globe. It’s a technical problem. It can be solved.

I doubt it C...so many situations where they will not be able to operate, let alone simple situations where someone is crossing the road.

What about cars approaching a junction, one lane stops, the autonomous car proceeds to cross in front but cannot see the car coming up the inside lane which will not/does not have to stop...crash. Try driving in a busy city in East Asia...
It'll be almost impossible to write the algorithms to cope in places like that...without actually bringing the whole system to one almighty stop.
If a Volvo in test conditions can't see a lorry in front of it...

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom